Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My Topps Cardinals Autograph Collection (1966 - 2002 Topps totally complete!)

Comments

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ........ I also found an unopened cigarette pack in an old barn on my families property. I opened it up and found a T206 Honus Wagner. It's probably in EXMT to NM condition. Later this afternoon, we won the Powerball Jackpot (even though we don't play. It was a gift from a friend). I got a big promotion today as well, but I told them to shove it, I'm rich now.

Shane

• Great Piece Shane...Congrats!

a Great Addition to your collection for sure!!!!!
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Shane,

That's a fantastic card. Congratulations on the pickup. Looks great with that large sig

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
    edited April 28, 2018 7:29AM
    Here is number 740, ladies and gentlemen. I just got it in the mail today. My scanner doesn't show Beckett slabs very well because of the depth. Anyway, here's the centerpiece of my collection. I have only seen this one and only heard of one other.

Thanks, Joe (aka minorleaguesource).

Cardinals_Autographs_232

Shane

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    very nice!!!!

congrats
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

edited April 28, 2018 7:30AM
    Numbers 741 and 742 are quite a step down from my last one. However, it is my first TTM in a long time. I sent a bunch to Spring Training. This is my first return.

Cardinals_Autographs_233

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 7:30AM
    Now, the total is 746. Here is 2 from Ryan Franklin and 1 from Kyle McClellan from Spring Training.

Cardinals_Autographs_234

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 7:31AM
    Here is number 747. Jason Motte.

Cardinals_Autographs_235

Shane

Here is number 748. This is a Lou Brock that I got off of Ebay. Not authenticated, but it is the real deal, though a hurried signature. Now, I just need a 1978 Topps and I will have all of Brock's Topps cards signed (base cards and in Cardinals uniform; 1965 to 1979).

Cardinals_Autographs_236

Shane

I don't have an exact date, but I am sure that these Pendleton cards were sent out a couple of years ago. I was shocked to get them back. I already had a 1986 Topps that I bought off of Ebay, so I will not count this 1986 Topps towards my total.

This make the count come to 751.

Cardinals_Autographs_237

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 7:32AM
    Number 752 is an Ebay purchase. Moe Drabosky passed away 4 years ago, so I was pleased to get this card for less than $5.00.

Cardinals_Autographs_238

Shane

Here is number 753. This completes my run of Topps Lou Brock cards from 1965 to 1979. This was an Ebay purchase. It is a little sloppy, but it is the real deal.

Cardinals_Autographs_239

Shane

edited November 27, 2022 3:48PM
    After several months, here is number 754. Another signed card from my favorite player growing up - Vince Coleman. I bought a large autograph collection and this was part of it.

Edited to say - I may have gotten this one in some bulk that Jason sent ahead of the Cardinals lot 2 posts down.

Cardinals_Autographs_240

Shane

Here is number 755. This is a cheap Ebay purchase, but if he lives up to potential, this could be a very good pickup.

Cardinals_Autographs_241

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 7:34AM
    Well, folks, I am getting ready to post the biggest jump in number in the history of this thread. I just added 71 different Topps signed Cardinals cards to my collection. These come from a huge (and I mean, huge) autograph collection that a friend and I have purchased and divided up.

After posting these scans, this will up my total from 755 to 826.

There are 5 different Bill White. If you are an autograph collector, you know that this is a very tough one. He is impossible to get TTM.

Also, another tough one is Tim McCarver. He is next to impossible to get TTM. I now have 7 of him.

There are several of these that have passed away. If they passed away in 2007 (when I started TTM) or after, they were impossible or very difficult to get TTM.

1960 George Crowe - d 2011
    1960 Darrell Johnson - d 2004
    1962 John Anderson - d 1998
    1963 Gene Oliver - d 2007
    1964 Lou Burdette - d 2007
    1965, 68, 69 Nellie Briles - d 2005
    1965 Bob Purkey - d 2008
    1968 Jack Lamabe - d 2007
    1972 Marty Martinez - d 2007
    1972 Jim Bibby - d 2010

The rest of these are either impossible to get TTM, very tough to get TTM, or they charge money (which I have only paid a couple of time - Wally Moon comes to mind).

So, here they are.

Cardinals_Autographs_242

Cardinals_Autographs_243

Cardinals_Autographs_244

Cardinals_Autographs_245

Cardinals_Autographs_246

Cardinals_Autographs_247

Cardinals_Autographs_248

Cardinals_Autographs_249

Cardinals_Autographs_250

Cardinals_Autographs_251

Cardinals_Autographs_252

Cardinals_Autographs_253

Cardinals_Autographs_254

Cardinals_Autographs_255

Cardinals_Autographs_256

Shane

Nice autos, Shane. Way to go! Those are tough.

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 7:35AM
    Just added three pretty tough ones today making the total 829.

Joe Frazier is still alive, but I was not able to get him TTM. Got these today. Don Durham is really tough too.

Cardinals_Autographs_257

Shane

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    nice additions

congrats
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff Shane.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al

• << <i>Nice autos, Shane. Way to go! Those are tough. >>

I second that emotion. Congrats on a great collection!

What a passion you have for your "Cards"...
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice autos, Shane. Way to go! Those are tough. >>

Good one Shane. I understand how ya feel - I once posted on a Mantle "staff" photo that I really liked and it got one post.

I think your collection is incredible!

I always look at your stuff - and others do also but it would be nice if I/we acknowledged your work.

Thanx for sharing.

Mike
    edited April 28, 2018 7:36AM
    I have found a couple of tough ones to add. Minnie Minoso and the deceased Moe Drabowsky. Not breathtaking by any means, but glad to add them to my collection. That makes it 831.

Cardinals_Autographs_258

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 7:37AM
    Here is number 832.

Thanks to Doug. I wasn't able to get him TTM. Apparently, Doug's envelope was prettier!

Cardinals_Autographs_259

Shane

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing short of extraordinary Shane!

In this case - you're just like Mike!

Thanx for sharing.
    Mike

<< <i>Nothing short of extraordinary Shane!

In this case - you're just like Mike!

Thanx for sharing. >>

Jordan or Navarro? image

Shane

edited October 11, 2022 7:01PM
    I just got a few very tough ones from a fellow collector in a trade. These guys aren't signing any more.

Gordon Jones - d 1994
    Harvey Haddix - d 1994
    Nelson Burbrink - d 2001
    Larry Jackson - d 1990
    Marv Grissom - d 2005

This makes the count come to 837 different Topps Cardinals autographs.

Edited to say that this was a trade with noach2343 SCN.

Cardinals_Autographs_260

Shane

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG SHANE ... always nice to pick up some new ones.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    edited October 11, 2022 7:01PM
    Just added a few more today in a trade. These are pretty tough to get TTM.

The 67 Spiezio is a duplicate, but this one is better. It will not add to the count.

The 69 and 71 rookie cards will add only one each to the count. I already had Torrez on the 69. I also already had Hrabosky and Chlupsa on the 71.

This make the count rise to 845.

Edited to say that this was a trade with noach2343 SCN.

Cardinals_Autographs_261

Shane

• fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    Good stuff Shane!

are you keeping it all RAW, or do you have any PSA/DNA items?
    Sorry, Scott. I didn't see where you posted your question. I only have 2 slabbed autos. I have bought several, but I always bust them out to put them in my album. The only 2 that I have slabbed are the 2001 Topps Traded Pujols and the 1968 Topps Roger Maris. Those are in BGS/JSA holders. That is not by choice. That is just the way I bought them.

Shane

edited November 7, 2021 2:20PM
    This is a record. I sent these 2 team cards to Dane Iorg on 7/7/2008. I just got them back last week. That is 1082 days! Glad to get them back. I was going to send these to a bunch more players. I still may, but right now, they are going into my album.

The 1971 Topps Davalillo and the team cards raises the count to 853. (Back on December 6, 2008, I deducted the 5 previous signatures from the count because I thought those team cards were long gone. I added them back today.)

Edited to say - On 11/7/2021 I discovered that the 1971 Topps Vic Davalillo in this scan was a duplicate and should not have been counted. I kept this one because I personally got it TTM. There are far too many posts to correct on the count so I will correct the count going forward from today (11/7/21).

Also, I should have noted in this original post that Vic Davalillo took 968 days to return the 1971 Topps card.

Cardinals_Autographs_262

Cardinals_Autographs_263

Shane

• YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Beautiful collection!
    WOW! THREE YEARS to get those back! I hope (but don't count on it) that I get back my 150+ cards that have been out there for over TWO Years!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff Shane
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    I am in awe.

Truly Fantastic!
    "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
    edited August 24, 2019 8:50AM
    Just got a load in yesterday. I bought a huge autograph collection to resell and I pulled these out. Many of these are impossible to get TTM. Some are possible, but all of these are, at best, very difficult (except for Tom Herr; he signed all of mine except his rookie card and I never sent another one to him). I know because have had no success with any of these. So, these are great additions to my collection. George Hendrick is especially tough to find. Adding these 46 to my collection makes the total count rise to 899.

Edited to note: On 8/18/19 I noticed that I had actually sent Tom Herr his rookie card originally and he signed it. I then sent it to George Frazier and he signed it. It must have gotten lost or not returned when I sent it to Dan O'Brien. I never changed the count, so in August of 2019 I purchased a card with all 3 signatures. I did not increase the count in August 2019 because I added one to the count with the second Herr without subtracting 2 when the first one was never returned.

Cardinals_Autographs_264

Cardinals_Autographs_265

Cardinals_Autographs_266

Cardinals_Autographs_267

Cardinals_Autographs_268

Shane

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Your collection is awesome! I grew up in Blue Lake and that is where Dane Iorg is from. I know quite a few of his family members. That is amazing that it took three years to get your cards back. Keep it up. Great stuff! I am a Cardinals fan because of Dane atlhough in the 1985 World Series I was rooting for a walk in Game 6 or at minimum a Game 7 win by the Cards. Oh well.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    That is a big boost to your collection, congrats!
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely one of the best "Labor of Love" projects I've seen. Positively amazing! image
    Shane, considering all the cards you already had, that is a HUGE addition! CONGRATS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

<< <i>Shane, considering all the cards you already had, that is a HUGE addition! CONGRATS! >>

I was thinking the same thing. I was very happy to see some of those!

Shane

• I just spent half my night reading this entire thread. What an impressive collection. I enjoyed stumbling on this now as I was able to see the additions at a rapid pace rather than waiting for your next mailday. All I can say is WOW. Now you are making me want to do some TTM. Do guys still sign TTM or have they changed in the few years since you started? I would love to send to some guys from my childhood like Tom Herr, etc.
    Thanks for the compliment. Yes, guys still sign TTM. It is a must that you join sportscollectors.net for $15 per year. It has addresses plus each players success rate. That way you know whether or not it is worth it to try a certain player.

I am just as impressed that you joined in 2003 and this is your first post! That is pretty amazing.

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 7:41AM
    This raises the total to 900. I now have 85, 86, 87, 88 Topps Vince Coleman's with 1990 on the way. He was my favorite player growing up.

Cardinals_Autographs_269

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 7:42AM
    Here is number 901. Now, I just need a 1989 Topps Coleman to have a run.

Cardinals_Autographs_270

Shane

edited October 11, 2022 6:31PM
    Here is 38 more that I got in today to make the total come to 939.

Most of these are very tough to get through the mail. Some are gettable, while a few are impossible. I never had success with any of these. These are tremendous additions to my collection. The 87 team card is signed by Mike Lavalliere. McGee and DeLeon are impossible to get TTM.

Tonight, my album is now busting at the seems. I had to divide the collection and put them into 2 albums (1952 to 1974) and (1975 to present).

Edited to say that this was from the Duncan mega deal.

Cardinals_Autographs_271

Cardinals_Autographs_272

Cardinals_Autographs_273

Cardinals_Autographs_274

Cardinals_Autographs_275

Shane

• Very impressive! I wish you the best of luck and continued success!!

Coleman was great to watch and follow. He was mighty fast!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Hey Shane,

I love your thread!!! You've had some really nice pickups recently.

When I have more time, I need to go through your entire thread. Awesome stuff!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw Vince in July... he was great and he signed my 1985 Topps Traded RC for me. My favorite boyhood player while he was a Cardinal.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • That is unbelievable!!!
    Chris

"It doesn't pay to try. All the smart boys know why." - Johnny Thunders