Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My Topps Cardinals Autograph Collection (1966 - 2002 Topps totally complete!)

Comments

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2022 3:07PM

Up next is a duplicate, so this one will not count towards the total. I acquired this one for a number of reasons. My original one is still slabbed and sitting on my shelf, so I don't have one in my album. I was able to purchase this one at a really good price. It looked real good, so I got some history on this card. The seller was from near St Louis. When I asked him the history of the signature he said he got it at the Cardinals Winter Warmup a few years ago. I also purchased this one because I wanted to send it to get authenticated. I will do so in the future. When I do, I will bust it out and put it back in my album. Right now it is residing in my album. I know it's smudged, but I don't mind because of the price I paid.

This appears to be an early signature from approximately 2002 or 2003.

Because this is a duplicate, this will keep my total at 1,383 different Cardinals signatures on Topps base cards.

Presenting my second 2001 Topps Traded Albert Pujols.

Cardinals-Autographs-545

This one is my original one for comparison. The one above is probably from around 2002 - 2004. I believe the one below is from 2005 or later.

005-2001-Topps-Trade-Pujols-Signed-JSA

Shane

edited July 4, 2020 2:59PM

Up next is a 1967 Topps Roger Maris. The auto is authenticated by BGS. The signature is in blue ink. It is much bolder than it appears. I can never get BGS holders to look right in a scan. It is like the card is offset in the background a bit and they always come out a little blurry. Mr Maris, of course, passed away in 1985 due to cancer.

This is my only Roger Maris. Back a few years ago I had a very nice 1968 Topps in this collection, but I needed the money at the time and I had to sell it. I wish I had it back. That is the only card I have sold out of this autograph collection.

This Maris increases the total to 1,384.

Cardinals-Autographs-546

Shane

• judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Congratulations, Shane. I'm sure this was a tough one.

What a great collection!!

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

that's a nice card congrats!!

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

Thanks, guys!

Up next is another tought one. This 1961 Topps card features Al Cicotte. He passed away in 1982, so these are kind of tough to come by. His great uncle was Eddie Cicotte, who is famous for being part of the 1919 Black Sox scandal.

This one raises the total to 1,385.

Cardinals-Autographs-547

Shane

Up next is a 1967 Topps Bob Gibson. For a complete Bob Gibson Topps run I now only need 1962, which is a tough high number. I'll be on the look-out!

This raises the total to 1,386.

Cardinals-Autographs-548

Shane

edited August 28, 2020 11:42AM

I have been on a little bit of a spree lately due to me selling some things and having some money in my Paypal account. However, I have fallen a bit behind on posting. I will be posting several over the next few days.

Here are 13 modern cards from 2013 - 2018. Before now, I only had signed cards up through 2012. I found these from a reputable seller who acquired these in person.

Here is the list -

2013 Topps Jason Motte
    2013 Topps Shelby Miller
    2013 Topps David Freese
    2014 Topps Carlos Martinez
    2014 Topps Joe Kelly
    2014 Topps Kolten Wong
    2014 Topps Matt Adams
    2015 Topps Shelby Miller
    2015 Topps Jhonny Peralta
    2016 Topps Jhonny Peralta
    2016 Topps Kevin Siegrist
    2018 Topps Dexter Fowler
    2018 Topps Kolten Wong

These raise the total to 1,399.

Cardinals-Autographs-549

Cardinals-Autographs-550

Cardinals-Autographs-551

Shane

edited August 29, 2020 7:20AM

Up next is a big one - a 1968 Topps Roger Maris. This one is Beckett authenticated. I had one in this thread several years ago, but I had to sell it to cover an expense we had as a family. I was recently able to get another one. This one is blue ink like my previous one, but it is not quite as bold and the condition of the card is lower. But I'm still happy about having it. My previous one was kept on my shelf in the slab. This one will be busted out and put into my album.

When I sold my previous one I deducted from the count, so I am able to add this one back to the count.

This increases my total to a nice even number of 1,400.

Cardinals-Autographs-552

Shane

Up next is one of the most underrated pitchers in the last couple of decades. If it were not for injuries, I believe he would be a HOF'er. When this guy was "on", he was as dominant of a pitcher as you will ever see. He won the Cy Young Award in 2005, and he got robbed in 2009 when he came in second. One writer left him off of his list totally. If the writer would have just voted for him at all, he would have won.

Anyway, here is his first Cardinals card - a 2003 Topps Traded Chris Carpenter.

This increases the total to 1,401.

Cardinals-Autographs-553

Shane

Moving right along.....here is a 2002 Topps Playoff Bound Tony LaRussa. This card is part of the regular Topps set, even though it may not look like it. I also have this same card signed by Albert Pujols.

Many more coming shortly.

This one increases the total to 1,402.

Cardinals-Autographs-554

Shane

edited September 5, 2020 6:20AM

Here are 6 more (in order of acquisition) to add to my collection. A couple of these are on the light side. I would rather them be more bold, obviously, but I also have to consider price as well.

1975 Topps Bake McBride
    1975 Topps Sonny Siebert
    1975 Topps Luis Melendez
    1975 Topps Jim Dwyer
    1974 Topps Bake McBride RC
    1975 Topps Keith Hernandez RC

This raises the total to 1,408.

Cardinals-Autographs-555

Cardinals-Autographs-556

Cardinals-Autographs-557

Cardinals-Autographs-558

Shane

edited October 22, 2022 8:44AM

Up next is one of the toughest ones of my collection - a 1968 Topps Ron Willis. Mr Willis passed away nearly 43 years ago in 1977 at the young age of 34 from a brain tumor. One interesting stat of his is that in 5 seasons of action he pitched 238.1 innings with 80 defensive chances without a single error in his whole career!

This one raises the total to 1,409.

Cardinals-Autographs-559

Shane

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Yikes, not a very flattering card. He looks much older than 24 there.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.

@mrmopar said:
    Yikes, not a very flattering card. He looks much older than 24 there.

I thought the same thing! However, no baseball card....and I mean not a single one....gets a giggle out of me like looking at a 1983 Topps Mike Armstrong!

Shane

edited September 6, 2020 7:57AM

Here is another addition to the collection. Up next is a 1962 Topps Gene Oliver. Mr Oliver passed away in 2007, just a few days before I started this thread.

This increases the total to 1,410.

Cardinals-Autographs-560

Shane

Up next is a couple of 1963 Topps rookies - Duke Carmel and Ron Taylor. The Duke Carmel is on a high number rookie card also featuring Rusty Staub.

This raises the total to 1,412.

Cardinals-Autographs-561

Shane

I located Bill Haas through my blog when someone commented that he knew him. Even talked to him over the phone and he agreed to sign some cards a card. Sent that 63 and a 64 card and POOF, nothing....the only 1 of 7 "special" TTMs (all were sure bet successes, or so I thought) I sent that day that did not come back. Not a cheap card to lose to a TTM fail. Still a little bitter about that, given he agreed over the phone to sign!

@mrmopar said:
    I located Bill Haas through my blog when someone commented that he knew him. Even talked to him over the phone and he agreed to sign some cards a card. Sent that 63 and a 64 card and POOF, nothing....the only 1 of 7 "special" TTMs (all were sure bet successes, or so I thought) I sent that day that did not come back. Not a cheap card to lose to a TTM fail. Still a little bitter about that, given he agreed over the phone to sign!

That's a bummer! I remember having a 1956 or 1957 Topps Cardinals team card signed by Terry Moore. After sending it to a few players, it got lost! I had to start over and I lost out on Terry Moore since he had passed away.

Shane

Up next is my longest deceased. This is a 1963 Topps Johnny Keane. Mr Keane passed away in 1967 due to a massive heart attack. My Keane never played in the big leagues. He was a minor league shortstop in the Cardinals system. In 1935 he was hit in the head with a pitch while batting and lay in a coma for weeks. He was the Cardinals manager from 1961-1964.

This auto comes from a reliable source and a reliable Cardinals collection that was sold off.

This increases the total to 1,413.

Cardinals-Autographs-562

Shane

Up next is a 1963 Topps #1 Batting League Leaders featuring Stan Musial and Bill White. This card is signed by both and I am proud to have it.

These 2 signatures raise the total to 1,415 different Cardinals signatures on Topps cards.

Cardinals-Autographs-563

Shane

edited November 26, 2021 1:47PM

Up next is one that is harder than you might think. Here is a 1973 Topps Cardinals Coaches card with all 4 signatures. I already had one with Red Schoendienst, Vern Benson, and Barney Schultz. I was able to find one on Ebay with all 4 including George Kissell. Mr Kissell passed away in 2008 from a car accident. He was beloved in the Cardinals organization.

Former Cardinal manager Whitey Herzog in 2005 said, “He is one of those baseball lifers that loves to talk baseball. George Kissell is the only man I know who can talk for 15 minutes about a ground ball.”

Since I already had the other 3 signatures, I am only adding 1 to the total. This raises the total to 1,416.

Edited to say on 11/26/21 - I ended up selling the one without Kissell.

Cardinals-Autographs-564

Shane

Up next is a 1975 Topps HL card of the late, great Lou Brock. So sad to see that he passed away a few weeks ago. He was a better man than he was a baseball player....and that's saying something!

This raises the total to 1,417.

Cardinals-Autographs-565

Shane

edited October 20, 2020 5:46PM

This is one of my largest hauls in recent memory. I got all of these from one reputable guy near St Louis. These fill in some major gaps in the more modern portion of my collection. This post adds 44 different autographs to my collection.

Here is the list. I received these in 3 separate lots, so I will list these in the order received.

1st group

1991 Cris Carperter
    1992 Tom Pagnozzi
    1994 Donovan Osborne
    1994 Ray Lankford
    1997 Donovan Osborne
    1998 Cliff Politte
    1999 Alan Benes
    2001 Dan Moylan
    2004 Reid Gorecki
    2006 Brad Thompson
    2008 Rick Ankiel
    2008 Brad Thompson
    2010 Jason Motte
    2012 Jason Motte
    2012 Lance Lynn
    2013 Edward Mujica
    2014 Lance Lynn
    2014 Tony Cruz
    2015 Kevin Siegrist
    2016 Lance Lynn
    2017 Aledmys Diaz
    2017 John Brebbia
    2018 Alex Mejia
    2018 Greg Garcia
    2019 Andrew Knizner

2nd group

1997 Gary Gaetti
    2004 Mike Matheny
    2006 Gary Bennett
    2009 Rick Ankiel
    2013 Matt Adams (US4)
    2013 Matt Adams (US213)
    2015 Carlos Martinez
    2015 Matt Adams
    2016 Carlos Martinez
    2016 Matt Adams
    2017 Carlos Martinez
    2017 Matt Adams
    2018 Carlos Martinez

3rd group

1990 Jose Oquendo
    2009 Chris Carpenter
    2010 Chris Carpenter
    2018 Harrison Bader
    2018 Miles Mikolas
    2019 Ryan Helsley

This raises the total to 1,461.

1st group

Cardinals-Autographs-566

Cardinals-Autographs-567

Cardinals-Autographs-568

Cardinals-Autographs-569

Cardinals-Autographs-570

2nd group

Cardinals-Autographs-571

Cardinals-Autographs-572

Cardinals-Autographs-573

Cardinals-Autographs-574

3rd group

Cardinals-Autographs-575

Shane

Up next is a surprisingly fairly tough 1986 Topps Jeff Lahti. This was a gift from a board member from Curt over at Net54.

This raises the total to 1,462.

Cardinals-Autographs-576

Shane

Up next is a 1975 Topps SB LL Lou Brock. Got this a few days after his death back in September.

This raises the total to 1,463.

Cardinals-Autographs-577

Shane

edited October 22, 2022 11:31AM

Here are four more autographs to add to my collection.

1964 Topps Jim Coker. This card has been signed twice. I suspect that the first signature was so light that he tried to re-sign it but with the same result. Hats off to Mr Coker who missed most of the 1962 season because he served our country in the military. He passed away from a heart attack at the age of 55 in 1991.

1964 Topps Phil Gagliano RC. Mr Gagliano passed away in 2016.

1975 Topps MVP from 1967 featuring Orlando Cepeda. This is a light signature, but I'm glad to have it.

1975 Topps MVP from 1971 featuring Joe Torre. Another light signature, but got it at a good price.

If you click on the picture and zoom you can see them much better.

This raises the total to 1,467.

Cardinals-Autographs-578

Shane

edited October 31, 2020 5:55PM

Up next is not one that will blow you away, but it is a good addition. Here is a 1962 Topps Curt Simmons league leader card. It's also signed by Mike McCormick of the Giants.

This increases the total to 1,468.

Cardinals-Autographs-579

Shane

Up next is a tough one. Here is a 1965 Topps Curt Flood. It is JSA authenticated. Mr Flood passed away in 1997.

I still need a 1963 and 1969 to have all of his Topps Cardinals cards autographed. 1963 will be tough because it is a high number.

This raises the total to 1,469.

Cardinals-Autographs-580

Shane

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a Cubs fan I don’t often look at this thread - but Curt Flood did so much for players and has a real place in history that I had to see your most recent pick up. That is a great card of someone who is under appreciated. Congrats!!

@brad31 said:
    As a Cubs fan I don’t often look at this thread - but Curt Flood did so much for players and has a real place in history that I had to see your most recent pick up. That is a great card of someone who is under appreciated. Congrats!!

Thank you..... Even if you are a Cubs fan! ;)

Shane

Up next is 3 modern Cardinals autos.

2004 Topps So Taguchi
    2015 Topps Sam Freeman
    2018 Topps Jose Martinez

Here is one personal story about So Taguchi and also Scott Rolen

I took my family to a game in St Louis in 2006. My son, Andrew, who just turned 20, was 5 years old at the time. We went down to near the dugout before the game to get a closer look at the players and hopefully get him an autograph. He was successful at getting Scott Rolen to sign his baseball. As a side note, one thing I remember well was a bunch of kids were lined up and getting Rolen's signature. When Rolen signed Andrew's ball and handed it back to him, Andrew very politely said, "Thank you!" Scott Rolen stopped everything like he was absolutely stunned. He looked at Andrew and said, "You have got some really good manners, son. You keep that up, ok!" I won't ever forget that.

So, back to So Taguchi. After Rolen signed his ball, Andrew and I were hanging around trying to possibly get Albert Pujols to sign his ball. There were other kids along the railing and Albert Pujols was stretching and warming up about 100 feet away. Andrew, my son, was yelling "Albert, Albert, Albert!", trying to get his attention. This was only the second game he had ever been to and he wanted to meet Albert. Of course, Albert was in that zone....in game mode focused on his preparation. When Andrew couldn't get Albert's attention. Andrew turned to me and started tearing up. It was the saddest thing a dad could ever see. I am almost tearing up now thinking about the sad look on his face and the tears rolling down his face. I won't ever forget this.....to our left just inside the dugout So Taguchi saw the whole thing and motioned for us to come over. So Taguchi, with a big smile on his face, signed his baseball, which, in turn, put a big smile on Andrew's face. It's something I won't ever forget.

These 3 increase the total to 1,472.

Cardinals-Autographs-581

Shane

Up next is a 1969 Topps Tim McCarver WS Game 3. These subset cards are not my favorite, but they are part of the team set so I try to pick them up when I can.

This increases the total to 1,473.

Cardinals-Autographs-582

Shane

edited May 21, 2022 10:30AM

Recently added 5 more autographs on 4 cards.

2015 Topps Update Steve Cishek (got a duplicate in May of 2022 with a larger group of 2015's. Using that one for my collection)
    2001 Topps Josh Axelson / Carmen Cali
    1993 Topps Rod Brewer
    2013 Topps Brock Peterson

By the way, Steve Cishek signed Colossians 3:23 under his name. That verse says this - And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men.

These 5 increase the total to 1,478.

Cardinals-Autographs-583

Shane

Up next is one that I got a couple of days after Bob Gibson passed away. This is a 1975 Topps MVP with signatures from both Bob Gibson and Denny McLain. Of course, only the Gibson will go toward my count. Me and my son were able to meet Denny McLain a couple of years ago. He is an interesting character, but has a potty mouth!

Anyway, I thought this one is neat because of both signatures. RIP Mr Gibson!

This raises the total to 1,479.

Cardinals-Autographs-584

Shane

Trying to get caught up here.....next is a 1975 Topps HL Bob Gibson. I am closing in on having every Topps Bob Gibson card signed.

This one raises the total to 1,480.

Cardinals-Autographs-585

Shane

I hope I have not asked this before, but what do you think will be the toughest card to get? Assuming you are looking at a complete run 1951-2020, the one you doubt you'll ever own or maybe even see, if there is one?

Being a Dodger collector, there are many on my list. I would probably say, without much thought into it, that the 1952 Topps Jackie Robinson would be right up there, but the 1965 Topps Rookies card with Dennis Daboll has to be the one choice for me. There could be others that are harder or nearly impossible, but I have never taken on an organized assault on the run so not sure. I buy what I see, like and can afford, duplicates included, so I probably have a couple completed team sets and likely many more close, but incomplete sets.

edited November 24, 2020 7:07PM

@mrmopar said:
    I hope I have not asked this before, but what do you think will be the toughest card to get? Assuming you are looking at a complete run 1951-2020, the one you doubt you'll ever own or maybe even see, if there is one?

Being a Dodger collector, there are many on my list. I would probably say, without much thought into it, that the 1952 Topps Jackie Robinson would be right up there, but the 1965 Topps Rookies card with Dennis Daboll has to be the one choice for me. There could be others that are harder or nearly impossible, but I have never taken on an organized assault on the run so not sure. I buy what I see, like and can afford, duplicates included, so I probably have a couple completed team sets and likely many more close, but incomplete sets.

I would have to say that the hardest would be the 3 1952 Topps high numbers that I don't have. I was able to snag a #334 Wilmer Mizell earlier this year. He is a high number and he passed away in 1999. In the same auction there was a #398 Hal Rice who died in 1997 only 2 years earlier. That thing went out of sight! I bid way more than I should have bid and I still got outbid by an outrageous amount. I can't remember the exact figures.

I have never even seen the other 2 1952 Topps high numbers. There is a #378 Les Fusselman (d. 1970) and a #386 Eddie Yuhas (d. 1986). Even a non high number, non 1952 Topps card of a player that died in 1970 is going to be very expensive. I still need a 1962 Topps Johnny Keane who passed away in 1967 and there are 3 with a buy it now price of $795 on Ebay. If a 1952 Topps Les Fusselman came up for sale I probably couldn't even afford it. I am hoping to get lucky some day.

I would recommend you come up with a spreadsheet for your Dodgers. To me it makes if more enjoyable to see what you have and to see what you lack.

Here is my 1952 Topps Wilmer Mizell. It was trimmed so I did a little cosmetic surgery and added a border! It's my card....I can do what I want with it, right? It looks much better in the album than this scan. This is also the only1952 that I own that the original owner erased the facsimile signature, which is easy to do. He had Mr Mizell add his name in red ink.

Cardinals_Autographs_541

That looks a lot better than this!

Cardinals_Autographs_540

Shane

Without knowing the Cardinal autographs the way you do, sounds like Fusselman may be THE card to find. I agree, anyone that died in 1970 will be tougher on a card and a high number would have scared off a number of autograph seekers, either because they would not have had it to begin with or may not have wanted to get a tougher card signed.

About half of the Dodger team set are high numbers, which really sucks! Looking over the list, I would imagine Robinson and Campy are easily the most expensive, with Dressen and Pitler possibly being tougher to find as both died in the 60s (Dressen in 1966 and Pitler in 1968). Both of those would likely bring very high $$. Campy, of course, was paralyzed in 1958, but I suppose someone could have gotten his post-accident scribble on one, but I hope not! Most of the others lived long enough and seemed to be plentiful signers to have been able to sign a number of them (hopefully). I think I have Labine and Shuba, but would have to check. I won a Morgan for around $50, but had to back out years ago when a financial crisis hit right at that time. I still regret having to cancel that transaction and wish I could have managed to complete it. Would love to have more, but probably not in the cards for me.

312 Jackie Robinson
    314 Roy Campanella
    319 Al Walker
    320 John Rutherford
    321 Joe Black
    326 George Shuba
    333 Pee Wee Reese
    342 Clem Labine
    355 Bobby Morgan
    365 "Cookie" Lavagetto
    377 Chuck Dressen
    389 Ben Wade
    390 Glenn Nelson
    394 Billy Herman
    395 Jake Pitler
    396 Dick Williams

edited November 26, 2020 9:43AM

Wow! I had no idea that there were that many Dodgers in the 1952 Topps High Series. That would be a monumental task! I was super-duper excited just to get ONE high number and it took 13 years to do it!

Shane

Not sure what Topps was thinking, but they really screwed over the collecting public for Dodger cards that year.

Ok....I've got to get caught up. This group still won't get me totally caught up, but it will allow me to head that direction. Up next is a mixed group of 7 Topps Cardinals autographs. Here is the list.

2005 Topps Hector Luna
    1975 Topps John Denny RC
    1977 Topps Bake McBride
    1977 Topps Big League Brothers Bob Forsch (signed by both)
    1976 Topps Luis Melendez
    1976 Topps Mario Guerrero
    1976 Topps LL Al Hrabosky

This raises the total to 1,487.

Cardinals-Autographs-586

Cardinals-Autographs-587

Cardinals-Autographs-588

Cardinals-Autographs-589

Cardinals-Autographs-590

Shane

Just trying to get caught up here.

Posted below are 8 of my latest acquisitions.

1987 Topps Greg Mathews
    1989 Topps Joe Magrane
    1989 Topps Traded Milt Thompson
    1997 Topps Alan Benes
    2003 Topps Traded Chris Widger
    2004 Topps Dan Haren
    2009 Topps Chris Perez
    2011 Topps Trevor Miller

Adding these 8 raise the total to 1,495.

Cardinals-Autographs-591

Cardinals-Autographs-592

Shane

Adding another one.....here is a 1976 Topps LL Lou Brock.

This raises the total to 1,496.

Cardinals-Autographs-593

Shane

I recently added a 1961 Topps George Crowe. Mr Crowe passed away in 2011. You know I've been collecting these a long time when I know what year someone died without even looking it up! I keep my spreadsheet updated when a former Cardinal player passes away.

This raises the total to 1,497.

Cardinals-Autographs-594

Shane

Up next is a triple signed 1970 Topps League Leaders card. This card is signed by the late Bob Gibson, Steve Carlton, and non-Cardinals player Juan Marichal. Of course, only 2 of these will add to the total, but I think it is a fantastic card. This card comes from a reputable source from near St Louis that I purchase from regularly. He has private signings with many former Cardinals players like Mark McGwire, Jim Edmonds, Albert Pujols. He has had signings with Bob Gibson multiple times.

These 2 signatures raise the total to 1,499.

Cardinals-Autographs-595

Shane

beautiful card, looks great complete

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

just noticed the next card/signature will be #1500

who will get the milestone spot?

Fred

edited December 24, 2020 8:09AM

Let me check....

Shane

edited December 24, 2020 8:09AM

@baseballfan said:
    just noticed the next card/signature will be #1500

who will get the milestone spot?

Hint..... He won an MVP award and is a HOFer.

Shane

Cepeda will be my guess, if you still need any of his Cards cards.