Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My Topps Cardinals Autograph Collection (1966 - 2002 Topps totally complete!)

Comments

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: vintageinvestments
    Glad you liked the Haddix Shane and thank for the great work!! image

Good to see you lurking, Jason! Glad you liked my work!

By the way, Jason.....yours was the 500th post in this thread!

Shane

• I really like the vintage additions! Outstanding collection and one of my favorite threads to follow!
    edited April 28, 2018 8:31AM
    Just added another one this week.

Virgil Stallcup passed away in 1989. This one is authenticated by SGC. I busted it out.

This one raises the total to 1,140.

Cardinals_Autographs_348

Shane

• BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Awesome thread. I have sent out a bunch to Cubs players in the past. I have been slack about sending any out lately. I need to get on it again.
    I picked these up at a show about 3 weeks ago. They are not super tough, but I didn't have them. Mr Briles passed away in 2005.

This increases the total to 1,144.

Cardinals_Autographs_349

Shane

This one does not increase the total count. I acquired this one in September of 2012 and posted a picture of it then. I just got it back from PSA this past week so I wanted to show it in it's authenticated form.

.....and yes....I am probably going to bust it out and put it back in my album. The one thing that I don't like about the new "Trading Card" blue flips is when I bust them out to put them in my album, there is nothing connecting the flip to that specific card. When I bust them out, I always put the flip behind the card in the pocket of the page. The only thing connecting the flip and the card is this picture with the certification number. Oh well, now I know it is authentic

Cardinals_Autographs_350

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 8:32AM
    I just picked this up this week from a reputable Ebay seller (tom23mj) who had a private signing with Mark McGwire. He sold several McGwire autographed cards and Sports Illustrated magazines. He had a few that were authenticated by JSA. He told me he had a few authenticated in order to see if it would make a difference on the sale price. Anyway, this one it not authenticated, but I have no doubt that it is authentic. This is a modern day signature. The card posted in the previous post above is an earlier signature. Anway, I am glad to finally get a regular base card of McGwire. I will most likely end up sending it to PSA in the future.

This increases the total to 1,145.

Cardinals_Autographs_351

Shane

edited March 18, 2022 12:28PM
    Just picked up my first Adam Wainwright. This increases the total to 1,146.

Edited to say on 3/18/22 - I just discovered that this card is a parallel. It is numbered STL9 and not UH79 from the Update set. The STL9 version is from the Topps Factory Team Sets in the blister packages. I only collect from the base set and traded/update sets. I will be taking this one out of my collection unfortunately. I will updated the total on a post from 3/18/22.

Cardinals_Autographs_352

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 8:32AM
    I started this thread in 2007 with the purpose of being dedicated to it. Even though it doesn't look like many people read or post to this thread, I still intend on updating every with every single card it get. I look at it as a personal journal. Thanks to every one who has had kind words in this thread. I appreciate every one that takes the time to look and post a comment.

Having said that, I just added another one to my collection recently. Finding regular Topps Albert Pujols signed cards is NOT an easy task. When I saw this one, I had to get it.

This one raises the total to 1,147.

Cardinals_Autographs_354

Shane

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Shane

Been "following" it for some time.

Very nice pickup buddy. I have a bat, no card.
    Mike
    Originally posted by: Stone193
    Hiya Shane

Been "following" it for some time.

Very nice pickup buddy. I have a bat, no card.

Nice! Game used? Even it it's not, that's still a nice signed item to have! Thanks for looking in!

Shane

• Nice card!

Do we still post about cards here? I thought it was all nicknames and hit totals and other "OT" b.s.
    Originally posted by: DanBessette
    Nice card!

Do we still post about cards here? I thought it was all nicknames and hit totals and other "OT" b.s.

Yep...this place is NOT what it used to be!

Shane

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    I always check this for new cards, I love seeing the cards and appreciate the collection.
    I would love to have a collection like that of Orioles.

Good luck with them
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

edited October 16, 2022 7:28AM
    Added another Mark McGwire. This is from the regular Topps set, although it is just a 1999 Topps Highlights card. This is from the same seller as the 2000 Topps McGwire above (tom23mj). He has had multiple private signings with McGwire. This raises the total to 1,148.

Cardinals_Autographs_353

Shane

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Shane -- I think both of your Cardinal threads are great. I am just waiting for you to post a Topps 1977 Lee Richard autographed card image
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
    Thanks, Al. I need to update the team set thread today sometime. I just acquired another "biggie".

So......you must have been the winner of the REA 1977 Lee Richard. I was watching it, but it got too high for me. I tend to hold off on one-of-a-kind type proofs. I just looked and that Lee Richard proof is not in my 2007 SCD catalog.

Shane

No, I did not buy it. I do not normally do proofs either. That one was unique because he never had another (any) card. It should be in future SCD editions if they are updating the checklist they have for the 77 proofs.

Al
    Originally posted by: bishop
    No, I did not buy it. I do not normally do proofs either. That one was unique because he never had another (any) card. It should be in future SCD editions if they are updating the checklist they have for the 77 proofs.

Do you mean that he didn't have another 1977 card? The reason I ask is because I think he had some cards in the early to mid 1970's. None were Cardinals, though.

Shane

Yes, despite the proof he did not appear in the 77 set. That made his proof distinct from the other listed SCD 77 proofs, where the players appeared in different poses or with different teams

Al
    edited April 28, 2018 8:34AM
    Just added a few nice ones to the collection in the last few days. I added a 2008, 2009, and 2010 Topps Adam Wainwright. I also added this 2006 Topps Chris Carpenter Award Winner.

These 4 make the total climb to 1,152.

Cardinals_Autographs_355

Shane

• Shane, awesome additions!

If you ever have any spare Carpenter autos, please let me know. His signed cards are sort of a side project of mine.
    Originally posted by: DanBessette
    Shane, awesome additions!

If you ever have any spare Carpenter autos, please let me know. His signed cards are sort of a side project of mine.

I think this is the first and only one I have.

Shane

edited October 16, 2022 1:40PM
    I recently added this 1999 Topps Mark McGwire to my collection. This one came from the same reputable seller (tom23mj) as my other McGwire signatures above. He has private signings with McGwire from time to time and he sells a few at a time. He has gotten several authenticated by JSA. He didn't get all authenticated because he wasn't sure if the price would pay off. Anyway, I am very comfortable with these signatures.

This one raises the total signatures on Topps cards to 1,153.

Cardinals_Autographs_356

Shane

Hiya Shane

Good to see you've added to your already impressive collection.

I was at the mall today and brought with me an old SCD from 1999 - there was an article on very impressive McGwire RC fakes - they actually looked too good - even the weight of the card was on target.

Don't ya think it's kind of ironic after the specter of PED over Mark that someone went thru the trouble to make some pretty convincing fakes of his RC?

BTW - I didn't answer your question on Pujols - just a basic signed bat - not GU.

Looking forward to your next post - always nice to see collections highlighted here.
    Mike
    Hiya Shane

Good to see you've added to your already impressive collection.

I was at the mall today and brought with me an old SCD from 1999 - there was an article on very impressive McGwire RC fakes - they actually looked too good - even the weight of the card was on target.

Don't ya think it's kind of ironic after the specter of PED over Mark that someone went thru the trouble to make some pretty convincing fakes of his RC?

BTW - I didn't answer your question on Pujols - just a basic signed bat - not GU.

Looking forward to your next post - always nice to see collections highlighted here.
    Mike
    edited April 28, 2018 8:35AM
    This is another replacement for one that I took out of my collection some time back. I just didn't like the lighter signature on the original, so I subtracted it from my total on page 9. I just now added a better one back.....a 1956 Topps Wilmer Mizell. Of course, I will bust it out so it can go in my album.

This one makes the total rise to 1,154.

Cardinals_Autographs_357

Shane

Vinegar Ben was born in Mississippi but nicknamed for a small town in Alabama. Later a Congressman from NC

Al
    I knew he was a Republican Congressman, but I didn't know that he was in other positions in government. He worked in government up into the George H.W. Bush administration.

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 8:35AM
    Just added this 1960 Topps Leon Wagner. Mr Wagner passed away in 2004. According to Wikipedia, Wagner struggled with alcohol/drug abuse and suffered financially after his baseball career ended. He lived in an abandoned electrical shed next to a dumpster in Los Angeles, which is where his lifeless body was found in January 2004. The coroner determined that he had died of natural causes. So sad.

For a complete Cardinals signed team set, I now only need Curt Flood (d. 1997) and Carl Sawatski (d. 1991) for regular base cards....then I need the coaches card and the Ken Boyer / Micky Mantle card signed by Boyer. That one will be very tough.

This makes the total climb to 1,155.

Cardinals_Autographs_358

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 8:36AM
    I just added my first Scott Rolen and my second Chris Carpenter from a reputable source (the same source (tom23mj) as my McGwire autos above). For some reason, Rolen and Carpenter are particularly hard to find on regular Topps cards. Glad to get these. This raises the total to 1,157.

Cardinals_Autographs_359

Shane

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG Shane. Always like to see you add new ones to your collection.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

Just added another tough one today. I just don't see very many signed regular Topps cards of certain players. Jim Edmonds is one of them. Just snagged this one this week. Of course, I have already busted it out and added it to my album.

This raises the total Cardinals autographs on Topps cards to 1,158.

Cardinals_Autographs_360

Shane

• yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭

I love this thread Shane! The Edmonds is very cool. Do you have a 2002 Topps Pujols by chance? I started collecting rookie cup autographs and I've never seen one of those for Pujols. You're right that you just don't see many in general. Awesome collection!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭

Wow! I just spent about an hour going through this thread from the beginning. You have an incredible collection. Truly amazing. I saw the 2002 Pujols and I'm green with envy especially with that early career sig on it. Really gorgeous autograph collection Shane. Also, have you gotten any more of your son? I liked that one a lot as well. Happy hunting!!!!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com

Thanks for the kind comments. Yes, I was fortunate enough to grab that 2002 Pujols. I am glad someone else recognized the fact that it is an early signature. I have a team signed ball from 2002 that matches that autograph perfectly.

No, I don't have any more of my son. He is 16 now and growing up fast!

Shane

Just added one to my collection recently..... a 1952 Topps Harry "P-Nuts" Lowrey. It was in a PSA/DNA holder, but I busted it out.

Mr Lowrey passed away in 1986.

That makes the total rise to 1,159.

Cardinals_Autographs_361

Shane

edited October 16, 2022 6:33PM

I picked up a couple of Topps Cardinals autographs recently that I wanted to share. The first picture below is a 1990 Topps Willie McGee.

The second picture is 2002 Topps Pujols (which is a duplicate). The Pujols is accompanied by a 2005 Spring Training ticket stub in which the signature was acquired. There are about 3 basic versions of Pujols' signature. There is an early signature, which is on my other 2002 Topps. There is modern signature where he takes his time. Then, there is a modern signature that is more rushed. This signature is a rushed modern one.

I am not counting this 2002 Topps Pujols because I have another that I have counted. This increases the total to 1,160 different Cardinals signatures on Topps cards.

Also, these cards were scanned with a new scanner.....gray background.

Edited to say - the 2002 Topps Pujols was sent to Beckett for authentication and it passed. The slab is on my desk shelf next to the 2001.

Cardinals_Autographs_362

Cardinals_Autographs_363

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 8:37AM

I recently added 5 vintage Topps Cardinals autographs to my collection. First up is a 1952 Topps George Munger (d. 1994). Second is a 1952 Topps Tommy Glaviano (d. 2004). Third is a 1952 Topps Tom Poholsky (d. 2001). Fourth is a 1956 Topps Don Blasingame (d. 2005). Fifth is a 1961 Topps Walt Moryn (d. 1996).

The interesting thing on the Blasingame is that the real signature is much more bold than the facsimile.

Of course, these will be busted out so that I can put them in my album.

This makes the total climb to 1,165.

Cardinals_Autographs_365

Cardinals_Autographs_364

Shane

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

WTG Shane! Enjoy seeing you add to your collection.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

always great to see the additions.

congrats

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

edited April 28, 2018 8:38AM

It has been a while, but I have added 5 more to my total. George Hendrick has been somewhat of a tough signer through the years, but they are available. I added a couple that I didn't have....a 1981 and 1982 Topps.

Scott Rolen and Jim Edmonds signatures on basic Topps cards are a whole lot tougher than you would think. There are plenty of pack pulled autographs for those 2, but to find a regular Topps card has always been quite a chore. I was very happy to pick up a 2003 Topps Rolen and a 2008 Topps Jim Edmonds. These guys were 2 of the best defensive players in Cardinals history.

Both the Rolen and the Edmonds were picked up from the same reliable source as my McGwire autos above, the 2004 Rolen, and the 2008 Carpenter (tom23mj). He does shows and is from the St Louis area.

Lastly, I was recently able to pick up another 1952 Topps - Johnny Bucha. It is personalized to "Bud". I've been called "Bud" at times, so I guess I don't mind. Mr Bucha passed away in 1996.

Now....I am off to the garage to bust out Mr Bucha!

That brings the total up to 1,170.

Cardinals_Autographs_366

Cardinals_Autographs_367

Shane

Well.......I'm glad that's done! After over 8 hours, I have finally converted this thread from Photobucket to Postimage.org. I had to edit each post in this thread with 367 different pictures. Now, my thread that I have had running for over 10 years is back up. I have used this as a journal, as well as vehicle to show off my Topps Cardinals Autograph collection. I actually found one mistake in my count. I forgot to add a 1972 Topps Joe Torre in my count. I showed the picture, but didn't add it to the total. So, I had to adjust each post by one for every post following.

I have acquired a few more since the Photobucket fiasco put me out of commission. I have simply been too busy to find another hosting site. Today, I took the time to convert everything.

More following here in a minute. I hope you at least find it interesting as I go along.

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 8:38AM

Since my hiatus from this thread due to the Photobucket hijacking, I have acquired 6 more cards.

1963 Topps Stan Musial (Hunt Auctions)

2006 Topps Jim Edmonds (tom23mj)

2000 Topps Traded Jim Edmonds (tom23mj)

2001 Topps (Golden Moments) Mark McGwire (tom23mj)

1990 Topps Record Breaker Vince Coleman (Ebay)

1952 Topps Eddie Kazak (d. 1999)

This raises the total to 1,176.

Cardinals_Autographs_368

Cardinals_Autographs_369

Cardinals_Autographs_370

Shane

well done...

nice Stan the man

Fred

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Thanks for taking the time to get it back up and running. This has always been one of my favorite threads simply because of the passion you put into it. Good work.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball

Thanks, guys. I'm glad a few people can appreciate the labor of love.

Shane

@frankhardy said:
    Well.......I'm glad that's done! After over 8 hours, I have finally converted this thread from Photobucket to Postimage.org. I had to edit each post in this thread with 367 different pictures. Now, my thread that I have had running for over 10 years is back up. I have used this as a journal, as well as vehicle to show off my Topps Cardinals Autograph collection. I actually found one mistake in my count. I forgot to add a 1972 Topps Joe Torre in my count. I showed the picture, but didn't add it to the total. So, I had to adjust each post by one for every post following.

I have acquired a few more since the Photobucket fiasco put me out of commission. I have simply been too busy to find another hosting site. Today, I took the time to convert everything.

More following here in a minute. I hope you at least find it interesting as I go along.

Wow Shane that's quite a chore! Congratulations on that one buddy.

This has always been a favorite of mine - I enjoy threads like this that feature someone's passion and effort.

Thanx for sharing "Bud."

Mike
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice collection. I admire your tenacity to the project.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    edited April 28, 2018 8:39AM

Just acquired this fairly scarce 1953 Topps Del Rice signed. Mr Rice passed away nearly 35 years ago in 1983. This one is authenticated by JSA with a sticker on the back.

This increases the total to 1,177.

Cardinals_Autographs_371

Shane