Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Topps Cardinals Autograph Collection (1952 - 1961 Topps totally complete!)

Comments

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2018 8:21AM
    Here are a few that I have picked up recently.

The 1953 Topps Slaughter, of course, will have to come out of the slab to go in my album.

The 1954 Topps Poholsky has a tape stain over the signature, but that's ok.

The 1960 Topps Ron Kline addition narrows the 1960 want list to 4. Now, all I need for a complete signed team set is Dick Ricketts, Curt Flood, Leon Wagner, and Carl Sawatski.

This brings my total of Cardinals signatures on regular Topps cards to 1,105.

Cardinals_Autographs_327

Shane

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Here are a few that I have picked up recently.

The 1953 Topps Slaughter, of course, will have to come out of the slab to go in my album.

The 1960 Topps Ron Kline addition narrows the 1960 want list to 4. Now, all I need for a complete signed team set is Dick Ricketts, Curt Flood, Leon Wagner, and Carl Sawatski.

This brings my total of Cardinals signatures on regular Topps cards to 1,104. >>

Shane ... has to be more than that .... Last year, in your 09/07/13 post, you had 1104.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Here are a few that I have picked up recently.

This brings my total of Cardinals signatures on regular Topps cards to 1,104. >>

Shane ... has to be more than that .... Last year, in your 09/07/13 post, you had 1104. >>

After the 1967 Topps Curt Flood, I stated that I took out a few from my collection.

Shane

• Options

Shane

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
    Just spent 20 minutes or so perusing the thread and enjoying the scans. I collect signed cards as well and although my team of choice is the Dodgers, I appreciate all signed cards and especially like to see other team collectors putting this type of run together. Very nice. I have a number of cards shown myself. Mine are alphabetized and I see something like this and wonder how many of that team I have myself. The Tigers and Mariners are two other teams I try to pick up as many as possible, but nothing like the Dodgers. ANY signed Dodger card is an automatic want for me.

It appears we also share a name too.
    I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    Wow, I'd never seen this thread before but it's AWESOME!!
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. I haven't added anything in several months, so the thread got buried. I plan on adding a few more in the coming weeks.

Shane

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    congrats!!!

hadn't heard from you in a while always a great thread

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    edited April 28, 2018 8:21AM
    Just added a 1961 Topps Bill White to my collection today. This brings the total to 1,106.

Cardinals_Autographs_328

Shane

• Options
    Bodacious!
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2018 8:22AM
    I've been making some progress lately. It goes in spurts. Added 2 more yesterday to make the total 1,108.

Cardinals_Autographs_329

Shane

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1107!

That's incredible. I like the Rip.
    Mike
  • Options
    This just might be the best post that I have made in this thread. My wife and and my in-laws got me a few Ebay gift cards. I received all of these in the mail ON THE SAME DAY (yesterday).

I have been wanting a signed Bob Gibson rookie for a very long time. This one is exactly how I would have wanted it - a vintage ball point ink signature. Of course, it will have to be busted out to put in my album.

I have also wanted some regular base Topps cards signed by Pujols. I already had his 2001 Topps Traded base rookie card signed in a JSA/Beckett holder. I have specifically wanted a 2002 Topps for a long, long time. This 2002 Topps card was signed early in his career. This is probably a 2002 or 2003 signature. I can tell because I have a 2002 team signed baseball and the signature is identical. You can tell because the "A" is thin at the top. In the mid 2000's, his signature changed to where the "A" was really wide at the top (like this 2011 Topps card). I was able to get the 2002, plus the 2011, which was his last Topps card in a Cardinals uniform. The 2002 is authenticated by JSA with a basic certification and sticker on the back. The 2011 Topps has been authenticated by Global with a sticker on the back.

This makes the total rise to 1,111.

Without further delay.......here they are!

Cardinals_Autographs_330

Cardinals_Autographs_331

Shane

• Options
    Wow. Not a single comment on 3 of the best cards in the whole thread. Oh well.

Here is a nice addition. A 1970 Topps Mike Shannon. I have grown up listening to his voice since 1982. I have probably heard him say more words than anybody outside my family.

The total stays the same on this one. This one is a replacement of one I already had and counted.

= = =

Edited to say that this one should have been added to the total. I had taken the previous 1970 Topps Shannon out of my collection and subtracted it from the total. So, this one needs to be added again. This one makes the total 1,112.

Cardinals_Autographs_332

Shane

• Options

<< <i>Wow. Not a single comment on 3 of the best cards in the whole thread. Oh well.

Here is a nice addition. A 1970 Topps Mike Shannon. I have grown up listening to his voice since 1982. I have probably heard him say more words than anybody outside my family.

The total stays the same on this one. This one is a replacement of one I already had and counted.

image >>

You know how bitter some are on these boards towards Pujols because of a past poster(Fandango). image

I love the Pujols, Gibby, and Shannon signatures. Those are some great additions! I'm a big fan of all 3 of those guys. I especially love that the Gibby and Shannon are ball point pen signatures. I value them highly on vintage cards!
  • Options
    I agree 100% on vintage cards with ball point pen. I had my choice on the Gibson and I chose the ball point pen on purpose....plus, it was cheaper!

Yes, I remember Fandango. Those were the days!

Shane

• Options
    I somehow missed the Gibson/Pujols pick ups.. Very very nice signed Gibby rookie. And yes vintage cards signed in ball point look so much better!! I recently picked up a Mike Shannon & Dal Maxvill signed in ballpoint.

Huge fan of Shannon... I grew up on Buck & Shannon in the booth, def. helped build my love of the game!

Thanks for sharing!

Scott
  • Options
    That Gibson is fantastic!
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2018 8:23AM
    This week I have added a fairly tough one to my collection. Now, I only need Curt Flood, Leon Wagner, and Carl Sawatski to complete the 1960 Topps team set.

Here is an interesting tidbit on Dick Ricketts (d. 1988). He was the number one overall pick in the 1955 NBA draft by the St Louis Hawks. He was 6' 7" and played 3 seasons in the NBA before retiring after the 1957-58 season. Having already signed as a free agent in 1955 by the Cardinals, he pitched the 1959 season for 12 games before hanging it up. His younger brother Dave also played for the Cardinals as a catcher. He was only 6' 0".

This one increases the total to 1,113 Cardinals signatures on Topps cards.

Cardinals_Autographs_333

Shane

• Options
    edited October 15, 2022 2:43PM
    Here are a few I picked up from Mickey's Sportscards. I have bought from him before and have been satisfied every time.

The 1980 Topps Pete Vuckovich is a tough one to come by.

The 1983 Topps George Hendrick is a replacement for one that I took out of my collection earlier. I lowered the count at the time, so this adds one back to the count. He is another tough autograph to get.

The others are not impossible, but I have not had any luck with TTM.

This makes the total rise to 1,122.

Cardinals_Autographs_334

Shane

• Options
    edited April 28, 2018 8:24AM
    Here are a couple of more pickups. I got these for a little of nothing. This is my first Eckstein. This makes the total jump to 1,124.

Cardinals_Autographs_335

Shane

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - 1123?

That's an incredible collection Shane.

I liked Eckstein - congratulations on the first.

If I put all my auto cards together, I don't think I have 30.
    Mike
  • Options
    I got to meet Eckstein in Cooperstown last May. Nice guy.
  • Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That Gibson is fantastic! >>

Anything Gibson is fantastic. 😃
    "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • Options
    Nothing earth shattering, but it is still a vintage one that I didn't have. I have listened to Mike Shannon's voice probably as much as any man besides my own dad. I have listened to his radio call of the Cardinals since I was 8 years old.

This is a nice, vintage ball point pen signature, which is my favorite kind. It was also in a SGC Authentic holder. I busted it out to put it in my album.

This increases the total to 1,125.

Cardinals_Autographs_336

Shane

• Options
    Always like to see vintage additions to this thread!
  • Options
    These aren't going to take anybody's breath away, but it adds 2 to my total to make it 1,127. I wanted to get a few 2011 Topps to add to the album page that has a Pujols. Albert and Jon Jay looked lonely on that page.

Cardinals_Autographs_337

Shane

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I think that Motte is breathtaking, Shane image
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    Shane, this is awesome! As you may know I'm working on getting cards signed by every Milwaukee Brewer on their first Brewers card (preferably Topps), and I've got about 200-250. A lot of the early guys you got at some point played with the Brewers too, it was neat seeing those sigs on some other cards.

I was waiting for those Uecker's to pop up too. He has two more Cardinal cards, one from 64, and the other from 65. The funny thing about his 65 card is that he's batting lefty, when he was always a right handed hitter. His return rate is super high, and he's really quick if you mail to Miller Park. I sent to him last year, and have two more cards I need to mail in. I want to get all his cards signed since he's the pride of Milwaukee baseball.

Anyway, great job with your project. If you'd like to PM me the trick you used to get Schoendienst, I'd be interested to see if that helps me get some of the harder to get guys I'm aiming for.

Keep it up!
    -Corey
  • Options
    Corey, PM sent. Glad you like the project. I haven't done TTM in a long, long time. I usually just buy on Ebay or elsewhere these days. If I could ever get time, I wouldn't mind trying TTM again.

Shane

• Options
    edited October 15, 2022 3:01PM
    These do not add to my total because I already counted them. I am posting a picture because I just got them slabbed.

What I am about ready to say is probably blasphemy to some, but......

Those of you that have read this thread will know that I have this collection in 2 albums. Anytime I get a slabbed card for my collection, I bust it out and put it in my album with the flip tucked in behind the card. These cards will be treated the same. You might wonder why I sent them in.....because these are cards that I wanted to have some kind of authentication. I will tuck the flip in behind the card. That way I know and don't have to wonder. I know that probably doesn't help resell much, but I'm not selling anyway.

The only exception to the above is my 2001 Topps Traded Albert Pujols. It is in a JSA/Beckett holder. The only reason I have not busted it out is because it is displayed on a bookshelf and not in my album.

Here they are.

Cardinals_Autographs_338

Shane

• Options
    edited April 28, 2018 8:27AM
    This one raises the total to 1,128.

This is 2011 Topps Lance Lynn.

Cardinals_Autographs_339

Shane

• Options
    Absolutely amazing collection!

I've started getting the entire 1986 Topps baseball set signed and some of those Cardinals are tough!

Notre Dame Autograph Super Collector
    Wrestling Autographed Card Collector

Working on these sets signed
    1986 Topps baseball
    1991 UD Football
    1990 Collegiate Collection Notre Dame
    2013 UD Notre Dame
    1991 Pro Set Super Bowl Supermen
  • Options

<< <i>Absolutely amazing collection!

I've started getting the entire 1986 Topps baseball set signed and some of those Cardinals are tough! >>

Thanks!

Which ones are you calling tough? Just curious!

Good luck on your quest!

Shane

• Options
    edited April 28, 2018 8:27AM
    This is my first Jim Edmonds signed Topps card. I really want a regular card from a base set, but this one will have to do for now. This is from the base set, but it is the Gold Glove Award subset from the 2004 Topps set. There is not a lot of Jim Edmonds Cardinals signed cards out there, especially on base cards. I have been looking for sometime.

This raises the total to 1,129.

Cardinals_Autographs_340

Shane

• Options
    edited April 28, 2018 8:28AM
    A couple of weeks ago, I guy was selling a 2004 Topps base and a Gold Glove (subset from base set) Jim Edmonds, both signed. I bid on both and only got the Gold Glove card (pictured above). I got it for $9.28. I bid over $30 on the regular card and got outbid. The seller is reputable and got it from a signing in 2010. Anyway, I was glad to get the Gold Glove card, but a little bummed about the regular card.

Well, a few days ago, the seller had another one of each for auction. I won the second one for $8.50, which was less than the Gold Glove card the week before!

Very glad to get this one. This makes the total rise to 1,130.

Cardinals_Autographs_341

Shane

• Options
    edited April 28, 2018 8:28AM
    This is a replacement for one that I took out of my collection some time back. I just didn't like the lighter signature on the original, so I subtracted it from my total. I just now added a better one back.....a 1965 Topps Bill White.

This one makes the total rise to 1,131.

Cardinals_Autographs_342

Shane

• Options
    All your signed 65's look awesome
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2018 8:29AM
    I added another one a few days ago. My wife got me this 1970 Topps Bob Gibson for Christmas. This makes the total rise to 1,132.

Cardinals_Autographs_343

Shane

• Options
    edited April 28, 2018 8:29AM
    I was recently able to add a couple of nice ones..... a 1961 Topps Bob Gibson and a 1969 Topps Bob Gibson. These are PSA/DNA cards, but, of course, I have busted them out and put them in my album with the labels behind them.

This make the total climb to 1,134.

Cardinals_Autographs_344

Shane

• Options
    I love the vintage, ball point pen look of the 1969.

Shane

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    as always nice stuff.

you don't keep any of them in the graded holders?
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    edited January 13, 2018 12:55PM
    Only the 2001 Topps Traded Pujols. It is on my shelf. Everything else goes in the album.

Edited to say that I sold my 1968 Topps Maris on 8/1/14.

Shane

• Options
    edited April 28, 2018 8:30AM
    Here comes 2 more.....a 1958 Topps AS Stan Musial (JSA sticker on the back) and a 1963 Topps Pride of the NL Stan Musial.

This makes the total climb to 1,136.

Cardinals_Autographs_345

Shane

• Options
    I received this one from a friend for doing some work for him. Very pleased to get this 1953 Topps high number Harvey Haddix (d. 1994).

This makes the total climb to 1,137.

Cardinals_Autographs_346

Shane

• Options
    I picked up a couple of fairly tough 1953 Topps that I didn't have this week.

Ray Jablonski passed away over 30 years ago in 1985. This one was in a PSA/DNA holder, but I busted it out already to fit in my album.

Billy Johnson passed away almost 10 years ago in 2006.

I only need 7 more to complete the signed 1953 Topps Cardinals team set. (Harry Lowrey, Del Rice, Ed Yuhas, Hal Rice, Virgil Stallcup, Les Fusselman, and John Riddle).

These 2 make the total climb to 1,139.

Cardinals_Autographs_347

Shane

• Options
    Man, you've been killing it in 2016! 3 Gibbys, 2 Musials and three 53 Topps? Awesome!
  • Options
    I take it in spurts! I am going to focus more on it this year. Last year I was trying to finish a 1967 Topps Complete Set. 1966 will have to wait a while.

Shane

• Options
    Glad you liked the Haddix Shane and thank for the great work!! image