Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My Topps Cardinals Autograph Collection (1966 - 2002 Topps totally complete!)

Comments

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 10:21AM
    This is all for this week. These 3 make 192.

Cardinals_Autographs_045

Cardinals_Autographs_046

Shane

After a little drought, I received these this week. This makes 196.

Cardinals_Autographs_047

Cardinals_Autographs_048

Shane

Well, today was a pretty good mail day. First of all, I have never seen a player sign directly over the facsimile like Leron Lee just did.

These 4 Red Schoendienst cards were successful on the 3rd try. I had sent them 2 previous times with $20 with a RETURN TO SENDER. Each time, I would put them right back in the mail because I know how inconsistent he is. I just got these today.

This makes an even 200.

Cardinals_Autographs_049

Shane

• ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Hey, congrats on getting Schoendienst! Those look great.
    Here is 201 and 202.

Cardinals_Autographs_050

Shane

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok enough of these allready! When the heck is #203 coming? image

Eccellent work!
    edited April 25, 2018 10:22AM

<< <i>Ok enough of these allready! When the heck is #203 coming? image

Eccellent work! >>

Here is 203, 204, 205, and 206.

By the way, Perkdog, my wife made a comment last night about your signature picture. She said, "Everytime I see you on that messageboard, I see that picture." I just said, "He posts a lot."

Cardinals_Autographs_051

Cardinals_Autographs_052

Shane

Sweet! The Grzenda cracks me up. Love those up-the-nostrils head shots.
    Look guys, I know these aren't superstars or anything, but I am really enjoying this. This makes 209 autographed Topps cards from my favorite team. Thanks for looking in and for the occasional comment. I enjoy showing them off. It makes me wonder why more people don't do it like this. Of course, not everyone has the luxury of having every single Topps card of their favorite team. The only downside to this is that I have to replace those cards for my UNautographed collection. Anyway, enough rambling.

Cardinals_Autographs_053

Shane

These have trickled in during the last few days. Adding these 10 make 219. I wonder if I can make it to 300?

Cardinals_Autographs_054

Cardinals_Autographs_055

Cardinals_Autographs_056

Shane

Five more in today's mail. The '72 Reuss is a pretty tough high number. This makes 224.

Cardinals_Autographs_057

Shane

• Man I love your project. I've always thought about doing this. Do you send out a short letter with them ? If so is it a personal one pertaining to that player or do you have a form style letter ?
    I just send out a short form letter in most instances. On occasion, I have made it a little more personal or add a "P.S." at the end. If you have thought about doing it, maybe I can sort of push you over the edge by saying, "DO IT!" It is very enjoyable, and these cards are something that I will keep in my collection for years and years. What team would it be for you?

I would also highly recommend joining Sportscollectors.net and also buying Harvey Meiselman's address book at sportsadresslists.com.

Good luck and let me know if/when you start.

Shane

• I would do the Pirates. I already have a nice collection of Pirates from the 50's through the mid 80's but most of the autos are not on cards. It would be nice to have them on a uniform medium. Thanks for all the info by the way. I really appreciate it. If I ever get around to doing this I'll keep you posted.
    edited April 25, 2018 10:23AM
    Well, only these for the week. This makes 231.

For those of you that think that sending 6 cards to one player is not proper etiquette, I understand. However, these are going into my permanent collection. I state in my letter what my project is and I state that they happen to be on "x" amount of Cardinals cards and that I appreciate very much their time. Everyone has been very gracious and some have even thanked me for sending them.

By the way, does anybody think that the 1978 Topps photo of Mike Tyson sort of looks like Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) on 24? My wife and I think so.

Cardinals_Autographs_058

Shane

Nothing spectacular or anything, but I am able to add 3 more to my collection making a total of 234. Pena also signed the outside of the envelope that held the cards. He must have been in a signing mood.

Cardinals_Autographs_059

Shane

Here are a few more from this week. This makes 237.

Cardinals_Autographs_060

Cardinals_Autographs_061

Cardinals_Autographs_062

Shane

• lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    So what aren't you getting back?

I assume there is a % that are not returned.

I have been thinking about putting together a complete 1978 autoed set including all deceased players. I have about 70 so far, 20 I got myself in person and the rest bought from a dealer at the National. i have another 90 card lot coming which i paid next to nothing for. I have accumulated 90 addresses off the sport-collectors.net website. I have not joined yet but will down the road.

I also need to by a second complete 78 topps set. My present and only set is in too good condition.....
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

Actually, I am getting back nearly every one. The catch to that is that I do not send off every card in my team set collection. The advantage to being a member of sportscollectors.net is that you can see each player's tendency. It shows a percentage. If a player doesn't have more than, say, a 75% return, then I don't usually send to that player. There are exceptions that maybe a player's percentage is real low, but it might show that this certain player has been signing the past month or so. That also works the opposite way. There may be a player with a high percentage, but he may have not signed in several months. You just have to use your best judgment. When I get the higher percentage signers completed, I will probably go back and try some that are harder to get. One thing that I will say for sure - joining that site is a must.

Shane

• rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    shane is right, the website is great, it has all sports the % of they sign or not,tells the hof's and the guys that are dead,alot of info on there-this is going to help me tremendiously in getting the negro league players that are left,and with my 50 bowman psa/dna set,ill owe psa a million dollars by the time im done, i used up all my wife stamps tonight lol, 3 books or i would be doing more right now-ill tell her the cat ate em
    randy
    edited April 25, 2018 10:24AM
    Here is 238 and 239.

Cardinals_Autographs_063

Cardinals_Autographs_064

Shane

After a short drought, I got 6 in the mail today. This makes 245. If you are wondering what I am doing with such a low condition 1978 common in my team sets - it was not from my team sets. I have a bunch of duplicates from the 1970's. That particular Dave Rader happened to be the best duplicate I had.

Cardinals_Autographs_065

Shane

new stuff, i like new stuff, i got new stuff today too-an aotograph of a blind negro league player and a letter from another,too cool
    i love all autos
    randy
    I got a pretty good mail day today. I'm glad, because I'm getting tired of being tied down to the house. I had surgery Wednesday on my nose (a septoplasty) to help with breathing problems that I have had since I can remember. They said that I will be able to breathe better than I ever have in my life once they get the splints taken out of my nose on Wednesday. Yes, I have had splints inside my nose for what will be a week on Wednesday. Yes, it is miserable. Yes, it is hard to sleep. Yes, I am ready to get them out. Yes, I will be thankful for just being able to breathe. Yes, I have had plenty of time to work on cards and autographs, but haven't felt like it really until today. Anyway, this makes 253.

Cardinals_Autographs_066

Cardinals_Autographs_067

Cardinals_Autographs_068

Shane

i got a very old pete castilone cards card today autographed, came look and comment lol,you like it,i think it cool loking
    rady
  • Hey,
    Could some of you guys that are doing the TTM projects give me an example letter to go by ? I really cant think of what to say to these guys without it sounding like i'm begging for a free auto. I have the stamps , the envelopes, and a lot of old Football cards that are ready to go !

<< <i>Hey,
    Could some of you guys that are doing the TTM projects give me an example letter to go by ? I really cant think of what to say to these guys without it sounding like i'm begging for a free auto. I have the stamps , the envelopes, and a lot of old Football cards that are ready to go ! >>

PM sent.

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 10:25AM
    I have a few more to add today. This makes 261. By the way, I am fully recovered from my surgery and I must say it was worth it. I have never been able to breathe this good in my entire 32 years! Oxygen through the nose is wonderful!

Cardinals_Autographs_069

Cardinals_Autographs_070

Shane

do you have jimmy piesal of the 50syet ? was thinking about sending for him,cards are beast up but still would be cool would !randy
    No, I don't have any of him. He didn't play for the Cardinals.

Shane

yur right rex sox,shoulda played for cards though lol
    put yer duke on,he might got em mixed up lol- i knw i got the right one ,same creases i had in it wehen i found it last week, he must jst sit and sighn autos all day for 5.00 a pp,thatwould be a cool job,look at the old guy i got today inthe 1st pic,thats sad,still signed er though,got more respect for him than new players
    After a few days without having any come in, I had several today. This makes 275.

Cardinals_Autographs_071

Cardinals_Autographs_072

Cardinals_Autographs_073

Shane

275 cards wwwwohoooooooooo what was your goal 300?r as many as you can get
    randy
    I said that I wondered if I could get to 300. My goal is to get as many as I can.

Shane

These make 282. I am going to try something new (for me). I am going to send off the 84 Team Leaders card and get John Stuper to sign it as well. I don't have any cards that are multi-signed. You can forget Andujar on the 83 Topps. He never signs.

On a side note - I remember opening my first pack of baseball cards in 1983 and a 1983 Topps Lonnie Smith was one of the first cards I pulled.

John Fulgham signed my 1981, but kept my 1980. Oh well, if he wanted it that bad, I guess he can have it.

Cardinals_Autographs_074

Cardinals_Autographs_075

Shane

see you got a bunch today too shane,bout time mail went again!!!
    randy
    edited April 25, 2018 10:26AM
    I got a few more today. This makes 293.

One note - Ken Dayley kept my 1984 Topps Traded, and 86, 87, and 88 Topps. Also, I just noticed the little "blip" that he puts on the bottom right corner of every card he signs. He even did that to the index card he signed.

Cardinals_Autographs_076

Cardinals_Autographs_077

Shane

• tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Nice stuff Frank, I especially like the 87 Topps Whitey.

Interesting about what Dayley did there.

Well, I made it to 300. This makes 301. Dave LaPoint signed the 2 below, but didn't sign the 1983 Topps. I'll be sending it out to him again shortly.

Cardinals_Autographs_078

Shane

• I cannot believe how long Dick Schofield played in the league. He had a '52 and a '71. Do

F- Have you tried to get a Musial TTM, or is the loss of the card not worth the risk?

#10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
    I think he just goes back to 1954, not 1952. Regardless, a long career.

I have tried Musial numerous times. He always sends the card back, but unsigned. However, he does always send a SIGNED "postcard". It is authentic. I have even tried hand writing a nice letter. He charges to autograph something other than the "postcard".

Shane

These make the count 314. The 82 Glen Brummer is going to Gene Roof in the next couple of days. Gene Roof, as well as his brother, Phil, lives about 20 minutes from me. I may call him and ask to meet him personally. That would be pretty neat.

Cardinals_Autographs_079

Cardinals_Autographs_080

Cardinals_Autographs_081

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 10:27AM
    Pretty good mail day today. This make 322. I was surprised to see Mark Mulder. His kind of faded onto the index card. I thought this one was long gone. It took 235 days. That is a record for me. That gives me a little hope for others that I sent during spring training.

Cardinals_Autographs_082

Edited to say - I threw away this Mulder. It is a stamped signature. I removed it from my count later (on page 9).

Cardinals_Autographs_083

Shane

Congrats on the multitude of successful returns, my man.

edited April 25, 2018 10:29AM
    I got a few more today. I set a new record for longest wait for me - 248 days for John Curtis - one day after Mark Mulder took 235 days. This makes 325 Topps Cardinals autographs.

Cardinals_Autographs_084

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 10:29AM
    Today was a great mail day. I sent Julian Javier these cards back in May. I made sure that I more than compensated him since I sent him 9 cards to sign and also for postage because an SASE won't work in the Dominican Republic. I also told him what I was doing with the Cardinals collection and he was more than gracious in signing them all. This was a great return for me. I already had his 1967 and 1968 Topps from when I first started TTM.

The Dave LaPoint was a resend. He signed a couple but left the 1983 unsigned. I resent it and got it back in just a few days.

This makes 339.

Cardinals_Autographs_085

Cardinals_Autographs_086

Cardinals_Autographs_087

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 10:30AM
    More auto's in the last few days. I took a minor risk on the 61 Topps Charley James. It's a pretty scarce high number. I noticed that he spells his name "Charlie" and the cards say "Charley", with the exception of the 62.

With me getting the Gene Roof back, this makes my first multiple.

This makes 350.

Cardinals_Autographs_088

Cardinals_Autographs_089

Shane

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    is the card going out to deleon next???

if so good luck, can't wait to see it with all 3 autos
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

I can't find Luis DeLeon's address. It is not in Meiselman's list and it is not on sportscollectors.net.

Shane