Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Out of Focus/Register mint 9s?

I just received a mint 9 1977 Bradshaw card to add to my Basic set and it is way out of focus to the point where he nearly has 3 eyes. This is the second mint 9 Bradshaw I’ve purchased off eBay with this defect (the other I replaced with a PSA 10). I was wondering what your thoughts are on this being allowed in a mint 9 since it IMHO it detracts considerably from the eye appeal. I know this is considered a print defect, but of all the defects this has to be the worst. From now on I'll ask about the focus of graded card before I hit the bid button. I know they must take into account the equipment of the times and stuff, but this is too bad.

Comments

• cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I can't stand out of focus cards too. I've purchased some vintage PSA 8's on ebay with this problem. Of course from the scan you couldn't tell it had this problem. On one card with this focus problem I was able to return it to the seller for a credit. On another, I took it to psa at a show. They bought it from me by giving me grading credits, and took the card off the market. I thought that was very fair, owning up to a grading mistake.

You rarely see PSA give cards 'OF' qualifiers anymore. They use to quite a lot pre 2000 grading. Not sure why they don't now.

One thing, it could be the grader not having the knowledge to know what a focused card from a particular issue might look like. There's lot's of out of register '58 Football cards that should get the qualifier buy never seem to. A few good examples from this set are the Leo Nomellini, Ollie Matson, and Night Train Lane cards. All are double vision cards typically.

Rich
  • Rich, you are absolutely right. After all, what is a sports card? It's a picture of course. Registration is really over-looked in grading cards.