Home Metal Detecting

ENTRY/NOMINATION THREAD: March, 2007 "QUALITY" AWARDS (Best Coin/Jewelry/Relic/Wildcard fi

Please enter your finds (or nominate somebody else's finds) for this month's five Metal Detecting Forum "Quality" awards:

The five "quality" award categories are:

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token
Best U.S. Coin/Token
Best Jewelry Item
Best Relic/Other
Best "Wild Card" Find

There is no limit on the number of entries per forum member. If your find seems humble in comparison to some of the others, don't sweat it- we like to see what everybody's found, be it humble or fantastic. Just post your item and a brief story of how you found it, or a link to your thread about the find, if there was one. If you can, post a picture of your item (small to medium-sized pictures of single items, please, rather than large groupings, since the pictures will be used in the poll threads at the end of the month). If you make a neat find and do not post it here, we might miss it later when we put the award polls up, so be sure and post your better finds here even if you already posted your own thread about them. Also, let us know what category you're entering for.

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token: This includes all world coinage with the exception of US minted coins obviously.

Best U.S. Coin/Token: this category is pretty self-explanatory. Note that it is for detector finds of coins minted in the U.S from 1776 to present - if a coin or token was found in circulation or by eyesight, it belongs in the "Wild Card" category. The award is for single coin finds, though if a cache is found all in the same hole and/or same container at the same time, it may be entered as a single item.

Best Jewelry Item: also pretty straightforward, but if you find coin jewelry, you can choose to put it here or in the Coin category. Also, if you find lost jewelry and return it to its proper owner, you still get to enter it in the competition, even though it wasn't "finders keepers". (See if you can get a picture of it, though).

Best Relic/Other: this category pretty much covers anything found with a detector that isn't a coin or jewelry.

Best "Wild Card" Item: this category is only for finds made without a detector. It may include coins or jewelry, but if you found those with your detector, they go in the categories above. This is for surface "eyeball" finds, circulation coin finds, and pretty much anything else, including nonmetallic finds like arrowheads, bottles, fossils, gemstones, gold nuggets, minerals, natural history specimens, pottery, prehistoric artifacts, and so on. Be sure and mention that the item you are entering is a "Wild Card" find, so we'll know which category to put it in when the polls go up at the end of the month.
Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments

• Best relic:
    1835-1840 Republic of Mexico button

This button was found at a California adobe site. Per the owner of www.mexicanbuttons.com, this button dates from 1835-1840. Interesting to think of the time-line surrounding this button... Mexico gained independence from Spain in 1821 and the California territory remained part of Mexico until being annexed by the United States. After the Mexican-American war, CA was admitted to the Union as the 31st state (1850). This button fits somewhere in that historical time-line... most likely owned by someone that was in the Mexican military and experienced this early CA history firsthand.

• ok here's my wildcard entry: a SPECTRONIQ portable DVD player. I work for a very upscale retirement home. we're talking millionaires. its not unusual for some residents to downsize and simply throw good stuff away. found this today in the case with all the extras, some were still in plastic shipping bags. i don't have a picture, but here is a link to one for sale at amazon.com

DVD at amazon
  • This is looking like an easy month for the polls!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    I've got two coins for best US- an 1851 large cent and a 1957-D Rosie:

imageimage

imageimage

And for a wildcard entry this month (the same as last month-sorta), another 1999 wide AM Lincoln found while roll searching March 13 (my second one in just a couple of weeks!), it just sold on ebay for over $200 !

imageimage

And found this bracelet for jewelry ( I think it is just gold plated- but it does have initials in heart):

• Here's my entry for Best Non-U.S. Coin:

1929 British Penny

This was found about 4 inches deep on a modern playground.

I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • For Best U.S. Coin
    This is for my brother (TuscaloosaJohnny). He found his first silver on 3/28 (1943 Merc.).

I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm green with envy over that button Rick dug.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    I have 2 wild card finds...

A 1963D Rosey in the CoinStar return.

And an MP3 player that I eyeballed while I was hunting a school playground. Its in good working order except the headphones.
    I found a black one. It was full of Gangsta Rap......was.
  • For Best U.S. coin '07 indian.

imageimage

G.
    imageimageimage
  • bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    I will post a pic of the 40D Jefferson i got in change yesterday.

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dug yesterday at a central PA farmhouse site. This was a really old one out in the woods, with no signs of 20th century inhabitation. However, it did not give up any coins. I am happy with the buttons, though. Does anyone want to date them for me? I would guess 1830s to 1850s.

• Here's mine for best U.S. coin.

37s WLH

HH,Tom
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhedden- go back to that house site in the woods! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • LodiTom-
    Was the half found in March or April?
  • It was found on the 3rd of April Ricksterimage
    HH,Tom
  • Awesome find Tomster! image
    (enjoyed reading the recap from you and Martin)
  • Thank's Ric and now I know why you asked me when I found itimage
    It took a little bit to register to my brainimageimage
    HH,Tom
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll enter my $20 bill in the Wild Card catagory.