Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ID help please - Arab cob?

Obverse:

Reverse:

Not sure if the obverse/reverse designation is correct...

TIA,
Big Dave
-------------------------
Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
Good sale to: Nicholasz219

Comments

• Options
    Indian Princely State?
    Roy

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a copper falus from Afghanistan or Morocco. Not sure which, but I suspect the former rather than the latter. Most of the Moroccan ones had a six-pointed star on them, I believe.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure and right now I'm braindead on any good guesses. That said...

It does look like the cast style of the Moroccan fals. But they started that in the late 1700s and my 1800+ Krause doesn't have anything (plus I'm fairly certain all those used different designs, primarily the hexagram).

For some reason the pattern screams Central Asia to me.. looks like the artsyness of medieval Samarkand? Though it could be any of the dozens of medieval Islamic dynasties from Uzbekistan to Morocco.

A contrasting gut feeling is that it is from either the Caucasus or Levant. Maybe a token. Who knows!

I guess that didn't narrow it down at all!

But if you're willing to sell it, I'll gladly pick up the search for attribution. image