Home Sports Talk
Options

SIRIUS & XM Merger

jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
As a Sirius Subscriber, I'm very happy to hear about this, simply because I can now listed to MLB games!! I got Sirius (like most Sirius subscribers) to listen to Howard Stern, but once I discovered the rest of what Sirius had to offer, I haven't listened to regular radio since!

What are your thoughts on this merger, or satellite radio in general?

Comments

• Options

<< <i>As a Sirius Subscriber, I'm very happy to hear about this, simply because I can now listed to MLB games!! I got Sirius (like most Sirius subscribers) to listen to Howard Stern, but once I discovered the rest of what Sirius had to offer, I haven't listened to regular radio since!

What are your thoughts on this merger, or satellite radio in general? >>

Satellite radio still has to figure out a way to make money, they have burned through millions.

I listen to Internet radio 365 which has 10,000+ radio stations covering just about every kind of music, sport, talk format you could
    think of and it is FREE.

No satellite radio for me, not worth spending the money on it.

The merger deal may or may not happen as there are regulation legal hurdles for them to deal with.
    If the only competitors in a certain market merge where is the competition? They can raise prices more easily. The Feds will look very closely at that.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I've been a Sirius subscriber for over 2 years, and I never listen to anything else. Try and listen to commercial-filled radio after a few weeks of Sirius, and you just cannot (unless you love advertising). But, I hope this merger does not go through.

The only thing I would like to "take" from XM would be MLB coverage. Other than that, XM is a mess. Sirius has come from nowhere to surpass their service with better music and content. I am a big Howard Stern fan, and even in his current semi-retired state (he only works 3 or 4 days a week, and takes almost 3 months a year off in addition to that - he's basically part time) his show is better than anything XM could think of producing. Hopefully, if the merger does not go through, Sirius will force Howard to work a bit harder to help them, as he should have been doing since day 1.

Having only one service, and no competition, will not be good for listeners / subscribers. Terrestrial radio is not competition, as they would have you believe - it's limited choices and constant advertising will never compare. Two satellite services are needed to keep each one hungry, and keep their programming vital and fresh.
  • Options
    This deal has an uphill battle to reach completion. So many legalities involved it will be nightmare
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I love Sirius. I bought a unit for my wife, but her cigarette lighter doesn't work so it's been in my car for about a year. She's getting a different car this summer when her dad gets a new company car. I'm assuming its lighter will work, so I'm already dreading being without satellite radio. The funny thing is that Howard was a big selling point for us, yet we hardly listen to him since there's so many really good music channels. Baseball would be a nice addition, though I'm not sure how often I'll actually tune in. I already feel like the game's a bit overexposed.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I had the same first thought....great, I'll get MLB now finally! But, I hardly take my station off of Howard 100, so not sure how much I'll be listening to anything else. I love Sirius and I hope that everything goes well with the merger.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I listen to Howard on 100 & 101 from 7:30am when I leave for work, then all day at work until 3pm when Bubba starts, all the way through my drive home until 6:30pm. The only chance I get to listen to music is on Fridays during the replays, or on the weekends. I LOVE Sirius!
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I agree. I bought Sirius back in December and I haven't listened to regular radio since. I too hope they don't merge since I'm sure the price will go up.
  • Options
    I highly doubt the prices will go up any time soon. There are way too many people involved in long term and lifetime contracts.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Wasn't Stern's heyday about 10 years ago? I can't believe he's still popular. His act got old for me after about a year or two. Has his bit changed over the last decade?
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wasn't Stern's heyday about 10 years ago? I can't believe he's still popular. His act got old for me after about a year or two. Has his bit changed over the last decade? >>

Nope. Still strippers and mutants. image
    Travis
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Wasn't Stern's heyday about 10 years ago? I can't believe he's still popular. His act got old for me after about a year or two. Has his bit changed over the last decade? >>

Well, if you like Stern shows from 10-20 years ago, good news - that's basically all they play anymore on his channels while he vacations excessively. When he actually is there, the show is pretty entertaining.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    i am a XM subscriber for 4+ years and my wife got sirius for some religous stations so howard plays no weight in our choices. i like howard in small doses but everyday was too much for me.

i suppose it is the ginger/mary anne thing. xm carries fox sports radio with steve czaban in the morning and the tony bruno show on xm sports. they also had tony kornheisers radio show before he went to mnf. when i have to listen to sirius i find their sports lame after espn radio (which xm also has). i wish they had the nba. the nfl package is great but i would much rather watch football than listen to it.

my concern is that she paid for a "lifetime subscription" of $500 when she got the unit. what happens to that when they merge.

there is a radio lobby in washington which is up there in influence with the aarp and nra. they have archiac laws from the 1930's that have hampered satellite radio's growth. traditional radio hates the satellite companys and will do whatever they can to prevent this.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Enjoy XM.

I love the MLB stations, channel 46 (Classic Rock), channel 4 (40's music, that my Mother "flips" over!)...

I just got a brand new loaded 2007 SS Impala yesterday!, and yes XM radio is built-inside of a state of the art bose system!

I'm happy! image

rd

P.S. Cannot speak for SIRIUS, but I do recommend XM
  • Options
    I have enough venues to listen to or view the sports that I am intersted in via standard channels and minimal cable..I'm from NY/NJ originally and am tired of and not interested in Howard Stern's gross and infantile humor. How much stuff do you have time to watch???
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...