Home Metal Detecting
Options

ENTRY/NOMINATION THREAD: February, 2007 "QUALITY" AWARDS (Best Coin/Jewelry/Relic/Wildcar

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
Please enter your finds (or nominate somebody else's finds) for this month's five Metal Detecting Forum "Quality" awards:

The five "quality" award categories are:

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token
Best U.S. Coin/Token
Best Jewelry Item
Best Relic/Other
Best "Wild Card" Find

There is no limit on the number of entries per forum member. If your find seems humble in comparison to some of the others, don't sweat it- we like to see what everybody's found, be it humble or fantastic. Just post your item and a brief story of how you found it, or a link to your thread about the find, if there was one. If you can, post a picture of your item (small to medium-sized pictures of single items, please, rather than large groupings, since the pictures will be used in the poll threads at the end of the month). If you make a neat find and do not post it here, we might miss it later when we put the award polls up, so be sure and post your better finds here even if you already posted your own thread about them. Also, let us know what category you're entering for.

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token: This includes all world coinage with the exception of US minted coins obviously.

Best U.S. Coin/Token: this category is pretty self-explanatory. Note that it is for detector finds of coins minted in the U.S from 1776 to present - if a coin or token was found in circulation or by eyesight, it belongs in the "Wild Card" category. The award is for single coin finds, though if a cache is found all in the same hole and/or same container at the same time, it may be entered as a single item.

Best Jewelry Item: also pretty straightforward, but if you find coin jewelry, you can choose to put it here or in the Coin category. Also, if you find lost jewelry and return it to its proper owner, you still get to enter it in the competition, even though it wasn't "finders keepers". (See if you can get a picture of it, though).

Best Relic/Other: this category pretty much covers anything found with a detector that isn't a coin or jewelry.

Best "Wild Card" Item: this category is only for finds made without a detector. It may include coins or jewelry, but if you found those with your detector, they go in the categories above. This is for surface "eyeball" finds, circulation coin finds, and pretty much anything else, including nonmetallic finds like arrowheads, bottles, fossils, gemstones, gold nuggets, minerals, natural history specimens, pottery, prehistoric artifacts, and so on. Be sure and mention that the item you are entering is a "Wild Card" find, so we'll know which category to put it in when the polls go up at the end of the month.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the Coin category, my 1913 Type 2 Buffalo nickel with near-VF details, found during Round 7 of the Virtual Treasure Hunt III.

(Certain to be outdone by the subsequent VTH3 diggers, but it was a find that put a big grin on my face, anyway.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Best relic:

1870-1890's ball button with stars (back style helped to ID the date range...
    shank type is called a "pressed hole turret")

Best jewelry:

Small 14K gold band

Best U.S. coin:
    1896 Indian Head Cent
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    I've got a 41 doubled die obverse Lincoln and a 1999 Wide AM Lincoln both found while roll searching for the wildcard category:

imageimage
    imageimage

Don't think I will have to worry about getting the detector out for a while here in upstate NY, it will be some time before I even see the ground again.
  • Options
    Best jewelry -

Ladies Steel model Guess watch w/diamond

imageimage

.925 Silver crucifix

Ladies .925 silver ring

10K white gold pendant with 10 tiny diamonds and pink sapphire

Copper religious pendant (unknown origin). Possibly Thai Buddhist

imageimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Heres what i got so far for Feb.

14k ring with diamond and a 1941 Jefferson

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• Options
    i'll throw this into the wildcard arena...a 1960 rosie that i got back in my change from mcd's today.

"see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    here's my entry for jewelry.....a 2.35 oz silver bracelet found on feb 7.

"see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I would like to make an entry into the Wildcard category.

First off, I just wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading many of the threads on this forum. Seems like you guys know your stuff and from the standpoint of an outsider looking in, I have learned many things in the metal detecting world from everyone here and I'm looking forward to getting a detector soon.

As for the coin: I have a 2 1/2 year old at home who has really become entranced with coins. Nothing makes his day like dropping a few coins in his bank. I've made it a habit to ask cashiers at the grocery stores if they have any .50 cent pieces or $1 coins whenever they are giving me change back. Nothing like a 'bigger' coin for my son to have for his bank. Well, to my surprise, the cashier at Krogers last night handed me this:

imageimage

I think I'm going to be shopping at Kroger's exclusively now...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    That would be a big surprise. When the clerk gave it to you, did they give it to you as a half dollar - or as a dollar? I'm wondering what it was confused for?

Gary
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    She gave it to me as a dollar. I guess she must've inspected it when she got it and she was more than happy to get rid of it.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    Best Relic/Other

Flashlight-Laser-Ball point pen

Got this in a sand tot lot about 6 inch down. IT WORKS ;-)

imageimage

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    if it's ok i have found another piece of jewelry to enter into this months contest...found on valentines day @ sobe, this 10k white gold with 3 diamonds (tested good) which made the wife very happy...take care everybody

"see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    Well for a wildcard find I nominate my car keys find. After helping a stranded motorist out of a ditch I noticed my car keys were somewhere in the three foot snow drift I had just been in. After looking for twenty minutes a headlight caught the gleam of one of the keys!! Happier than being silvered I am now thawing out at the keyboard. image
  • Options
    bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Heres one i got in some change the other day.. 1961

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• Options
    i'd like to submit my 1830's pheonix button as best relic, and my half reale as best non-US coin. thanks
  • Options
    Here are mine for the best jewelry.

14k bracelett
    and also the 18k religous baby ring.

Then this silver Nebraska charm

• Options
    Lol, took your advice. Please put these into the Relic catagory. Thanks

Found this a few days ago, heres a link to the topic:

linky

Here are some pics

Planning to go back to the field in a few days, it just rained so it shoulc be easy. Thanks

Joe

Edited to add: My friend and I went back and found two more parts to this (one disk and one plate). We also found what looks like either a makup box or maby a small picture frame. It is metal and about 3" by 1.5" and inside of it there was glass (broken and filled with mud) no markings though, should have pics up in a few days. Thanks

Edited again to add: Well I would put the pics up but my mom took the camera to Denver with her... hopefully I'll get it before this is over lol.
  • Options
    I'm am going to keep February's awards on hold till the conclusion of VTH III.
    Zot and Phut have digs to enter but can't till they have annouced their final rounds.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Does this go in:Best U.S. Coin/Token or Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token ??? It is a copy made in the USA.

Two Escudo Doubloon - Approximate Size of United States Quarter. (copy)
    These pirate coins are modeled after hand-struck Spanish Escudo Doubloons, minted between 1651 to 1773.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    I would like to make an entry into the Wildcard category.

First off, I just wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading many of the threads on this forum. Seems like you guys know your stuff and from the standpoint of an outsider looking in, I have learned many things in the metal detecting world from everyone here and I'm looking forward to getting a detector soon.

As for the coin: I have a 2 1/2 year old at home who has really become entranced with coins. Nothing makes his day like dropping a few coins in his bank. I've made it a habit to ask cashiers at the grocery stores if they have any .50 cent pieces or $1 coins whenever they are giving me change back. Nothing like a 'bigger' coin for my son to have for his bank. Well, to my surprise, the cashier at Krogers last night handed me this:

imageimage

Onlyanumber, great wildcard find. It never hurts to ask. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    At's Tim's request, I am entering the two targets from the VTH rounds. I have no idea how to move the pictures from one post to another, but here's what he found for me:
    One is a double sided brass name plate. I have tried to reserch the names, but no luck yet.
    The other entry is a 1907 Barber dime. If I ever dug one of these on my own, I know I probably wouldn't trust what my eyes were seeing!
    Mary (I feel like this is cheating) image
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    For MaryM.
    Best Relic/Other

Best U.S. Coin/Token
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    Thank you Jerry,
    Some day we need to get in PM's or instant messenger so you can walk me through that process.
    Mary image
    Be Still and Know