Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Shill bidding ebay seller & "buyer" who has "won" 221 of this seller's aucti

What do you think about this S-VDB? Even with the crappy picture, looks like another obvious fake. Even more curious (as if a fake S-VDB in F-12 bid up to $600 on ebay is curious at all), is one of this seller's repeat (understatement of the year) buyers, "iceman32714" He's won 221 of her auctions, almost consecutively. This bidder/buyer has been an ebay member since 2005 and his/her feedback score is only at 16 (again, 221 purchases from seller "susannpepper"). What do you think? A shill who "wins" items after desired amounts are not acheived by legit bidders? Just curious. "iceman32714" is the current high bidder on the seller's 1918S Buffalo Nickel.

1909 S-VDB ON EBAY

Comments

• Options

<< <i>almost consecutively >>

This is referring to his 221 feedbacks from her.
  • Options
    Here's a link to the feedback for the buyer I referenced,

Bizarre Feedback Thing
  • Options
    I remember a well known dealer who bought up a lot of the Queller collection at auction which throughly ticked off not a few people. Then a lot of the material started showing up on Ebay with no reserve. But it seems someone was really interested in bidding his coins and kept the bids going till they got to credible levels.

When I check out the bidder it was a new account and the new bidder only bid on the dealer's coins. I alerted Ebay to the problem but you know the old story. They couldn't see anything wrong with it.

I really do not like this hidden identity thing. It is a shill bidders paradise.

AC
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you think about this S-VDB? Even with the crappy picture, looks like another obvious fake. Even more curious (as if a fake S-VDB in F-12 bid up to $600 on ebay is curious at all), is one of this seller's repeat (understatement of the year) buyers, "iceman32714" He's won 221 of her auctions, almost consecutively. This bidder/buyer has been an ebay member since 2005 and his/her feedback score is only at 16 (again, 221 purchases from seller "susannpepper"). What do you think? A shill who "wins" items after desired amounts are not acheived by legit bidders? Just curious. "iceman32714" is the current high bidder on the seller's 1918S Buffalo Nickel.

1909 S-VDB ON EBAY >>

The feedback thing with iceman is pretty bizarre. But how can you tell this is an "obvious" fake? All of the bidders on this item are low percentage with this seller. Anonymous bidders yes, but certainly none are iceman, up to this point. And the coin looks legit to me. But maybe I'm missing somehting. image
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the iceman is just a flake. Who would shill up this 1836 bust half? or this 1831 bust half? The seller seems legit to me. Just sells a lot of junky coins. These are the kinds of coins that sellers sell at any price just to get rid of them. JMHO. Bob
  • Options
    The answer is right here..... ebay auction 260071544497

Original auction for 1922 plain cent won by iceman32714

Here is a current auction for the same coin.... 260082319188 ... The images are the same.... just edited a bit for color.... same background, placement, same defects and flaws, etc.....

Current auction being run for the same coin.... first bidder is also iceman32714

OBVIOUSLY A SHILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

<< <i>The answer is right here..... >>

Great find! Just when I was beginning to have doubts about the whole thing.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The answer is right here..... >>

Great find! Just when I was beginning to have doubts about the whole thing. >>

There's probably even more evidence if I wanted to spend more time searching.... but I think this is sufficient for now.....
  • Options
    message/report to ebay vis-a-vis shell bidding;

The seller susannpepper is shill bidding using the iceman 32714 account. This is the most flagrant case of shill bidding
    I have ever seen. susannpepper, acting as iceman32714 has left herself (susannpepper) no less than 221 consecutive
    feedbacks. In 30 days, "iceman32714" has bid on 254 (of her) items, placing a total of 722 bids on susannpepper
    auctions. When legitimate bidders won't bid as high as she would like, susannpepper (posing as iceman32714) wins the
    items, and then relists them. Here's one example;

item #260071544497 is a 1922 Lincoln Cent "won" by iceman32714 on 1-19-07 for $250.00

item #260082319188 is the SAME 1922 Lincoln Cent relisted 10 hours ago. It already has a bid...by "iceman32714",
    because seller susannpepper is also using the iceman32714 account to place the first bids on her auctions, in order
    to stimulate bidding activity.

Thanks in advance for your attention to this serious matter,

tylercom873d1n

I'm sure ebay will look into this and do something about it.............................on the 5th of NEVuary 2000NOT in this lifetime

• Options
    We can only wait and see.... It will not speak well for them, if they do not, especially after their big talk about cutting down on fraud and shills....

I don't really see how this helps the seller anyway, when their shill bidder is the high bidder so often.. It costs the seller the listing fees as well as the final value fees....... I can understand it being beneficial (although illegal) in some instnaces, but not so many.....
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We can only wait and see.... It will not speak well for them, if they do not, especially after their big talk about cutting down on fraud and shills....

I don't really see how this helps the seller anyway, when their shill bidder is the high bidder so often.. It costs the seller the listing fees as well as the final value fees....... I can understand it being beneficial (although illegal) in some instnaces, but not so many..... >>

Great detective work, Tyler1924S and RareBronzeCollector! image

I agree, let's see whether eBay does anything about this, or if their supposed crackdown on fraud and shills is only blowing smoke. There is really no defense on this one, even if "iceman" legitimately won the item and then returned it, there is no way he would bid on it again when it was relisted!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

<< <i>

Great detective work, Tyler1924S and RareBronzeCollector! image

I agree, let's see whether eBay does anything about this, or if their supposed crackdown on fraud and shills is only blowing smoke. There is really no defense on this one, even if "iceman" legitimately won the item and then returned it, there is no way he would bid on it again when it was relisted! >>

Thanks....

Maybe we need a group of forum members to bombard ebay with messgaes and call them on it......
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    iceman likes to play with dollies too!image

isn't this just darling !?
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
  • Options
    What is AMAZING, is this has gone on for so long and has been either undetected, unnoticed, or ignored.....
  • Options
    Here's a typical example I noticed when I was checking this out last night,

1937D 3 Legged Buffalo Nickel

"iceman32714" (as "bidder 2") was quite effective at bidding this up to $445.00. It ultimately sold for $510.00 with "iceman" placing 13 of the 19 bids. There are countless examples like this with this seller.

"susannpepper" has used this shill bidder for nearly all of her higher priced offerings. I did find it interesting, but not surprising, that "iceman" did not bid on any of her items (ending on 1-20) that had a reserve. "He" didn't need to...
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    I can see the overwhelming evidence for shilling. Evidently she does a no reserve auction and if she doesn't get the bid amounts that she wants along comes iceman to bid it up. She should spend the extra fees for a reserve or BIN instead of using the iceman alter ego to drive her auction prices up.

I think if I were using a shill, I would want someone other than my shill to win the auction. Pretty poor performance if your shill wins 254 of your auctions. He's not doing his job if you ask me!

But I can't see that any of the coins in this thread are fake. I reserve judgment on the badly damaged 1922. But the '09S VDB and three-legged Bison look legit. Aside from the shilling does anyone else have an opinion on the authenticity of her coins?image
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    Any update on this eBay seller/shill bidder?

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Looks like they are NARUed.
    Becky
  • Options
    susanpepper is NO LONGER a registered user !!!
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>iceman likes to play with dollies too!image

isn't this just darling !? >>

That dolly looks just like J Edgar Hoover. image

Nice detective work one and all! image
  • Options

<< <i>susannpepper is NO LONGER a registered user !!! >>

AWESOME! Finally eBay NARU's an obvious shilling seller! Congrats to the people who reported the seller to eBay! image

• Options

<< <i>I'm sure ebay will look into this and do something about it.............................on the 5th of NEVuary 2000NOT in this lifetime >>

Thanks for the update, everyone! I guess I missed the "5th of NEVuary". Both Susannpepper and her shill iceman32714 (243 feedback, with a feedback score of 16) were NARU'd. Susannpepper had feedback for 4,395 transactions, not exactly one of ebay's smallest scammers (as opposed to aunt-sarahs-attic, for example). Looks like it happened 4-5 days after this thread was created. Nice work, everybody!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file