Home Metal Detecting
Options

ENTRY/NOMINATION THREAD: January, 2007 "QUALITY" AWARDS (Best Coin/Jewelry/Relic/Wildcard

Please enter your finds (or nominate somebody else's finds) for this month's five Metal Detecting Forum "Quality" awards:

The five "quality" award categories are:

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token
Best U.S. Coin/Token
Best Jewelry Item
Best Relic/Other
Best "Wild Card" Find

There is no limit on the number of entries per forum member. If your find seems humble in comparison to some of the others, don't sweat it- we like to see what everybody's found, be it humble or fantastic. Just post your item and a brief story of how you found it, or a link to your thread about the find, if there was one. If you can, post a picture of your item (small to medium-sized pictures of single items, please, rather than large groupings, since the pictures will be used in the poll threads at the end of the month). If you make a neat find and do not post it here, we might miss it later when we put the award polls up, so be sure and post your better finds here even if you already posted your own thread about them. Also, let us know what category you're entering for.

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token: This includes all world coinage with the exception of US minted coins obviously.

Best U.S. Coin/Token: this category is pretty self-explanatory. Note that it is for detector finds of coins minted in the U.S from 1776 to present - if a coin or token was found in circulation or by eyesight, it belongs in the "Wild Card" category. The award is for single coin finds, though if a cache is found all in the same hole and/or same container at the same time, it may be entered as a single item.

Best Jewelry Item: also pretty straightforward, but if you find coin jewelry, you can choose to put it here or in the Coin category. Also, if you find lost jewelry and return it to its proper owner, you still get to enter it in the competition, even though it wasn't "finders keepers". (See if you can get a picture of it, though).

Best Relic/Other: this category pretty much covers anything found with a detector that isn't a coin or jewelry.

Best "Wild Card" Item: this category is only for finds made without a detector. It may include coins or jewelry, but if you found those with your detector, they go in the categories above. This is for surface "eyeball" finds, circulation coin finds, and pretty much anything else, including nonmetallic finds like arrowheads, bottles, fossils, gemstones, gold nuggets, minerals, natural history specimens, pottery, prehistoric artifacts, and so on. Be sure and mention that the item you are entering is a "Wild Card" find, so we'll know which category to put it in when the polls go up at the end of the month.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for posting these! image
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    No problem at all. Been wanting to do this for awhile.
  • Options
    Here is my Best Relic entry. It's confirmed a WWI British Tank Corps enlisted pesonnel collar brass.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the Relic category:

A late-1800s dinner fork.

A late-1800s oil lamp mechanism. Reads "MANHATTAN BRASS Co., NY" on knob.

For the Jewelry category:

A sterling silver WW2-era US Army Parachutist's badge with bronze service star. The bronze star was probably awarded for combat service. This might've been lost by a veteran of the D-Day Normandy invasion.

(I was uncertain whether to include this under the Jewelry or the Relic category. I see HKnJ posted his WW1 tank corps collar badge under Relic. I suppose both items could go either way?)

For the US Coin category:

It's not really that special, but I don't get silvered often these days, so I'll enter my 1947 dime anyway.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Best U.S. Coin entries:

1958-D Franklin Half Dollar

1917 Mercury Dime

1915-S Buffalo Nickel (rain drops on coin from taking the picture outside)

1909-S Barber Dime

Wild card entry:

Shed Deer Antler

Relic entry:
    WWI Infantry Collar Disc
  • Options

<< <i>Coming soon... image >>

Rick, you answered the "quantity" thread first, so I have a pretty good guess as to what you're about to post, at least in the US Coin category.

You suck, BTW. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I'd like to enter my finds from next door into the wildcard category.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    Best Relic: Monogrammed Gorham sterling silver spoon. Dated '07' with "D" initial.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    We might need a judges ruling on this because I didn't find it my daughter did in one of the machines at work.
    But I put a lot of work into training her properly.image That should count for something.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    A wildcard entry, a 1909VDB penny recieved in change from store, still shows some traces of red:

imageimage
  • Options
    For the Relic category: 30AnvZ28's 1927 Brunswick, GA Licensed Chauffer badge #114, found on one of MY sites while he was visiting.

I don't have one of these, yet. I'm quite jealous.

Technically, this was a December find, but since he didn't have a picture of it until recently, I am nominating it for January's awards.

When time permits, I will try to track down who Licensed Chauffer #114 was in this city in 1927. Maybe an old city directory will tell more about him if I can sleuth up his name.

• Options
    Appears the wildcard category might be a tough fight...

The 1945-S War Nickel (40% Silver) I received in change from the self checkout at Wal Mart.

• Options
    How do you guys get such good pictures up close for your coins like that?

I found a 1909 wheat in my change back on New Years, but I can't get anything clear that I can post as far as a picture goes. It's either far too small to see any of the details (including the date) or it's blurrier than heck.

Even though I won't win the wildcard, I'm entering it.
  • Options
    You need a camera with macro capability, or a scanner.

<< <i>Even though I won't win the wildcard, I'm entering it. >>

Good. That's the spirit we like to see. We wanna see everybody's finds entered, even the more humble ones.

• Options
    finally got out for a hunt on wed. and found this 10k, 4.2 d.w.t. gold ring that i would like to enter for jan. jewelry find....hope everybody has a great weekend....hh

i don't know why the pic wont pop up?...any ideas?...thanks
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    DUBBA's ring

Edited to add: I think the file name is wrong in the image link you posted. There are some extra characters in it "%20" etc.. This can happen with file names that have spaces in them (you get these extra characters instead of spaces). You can reduce the risk of this happening by using dashes or underscores instead of spaces in your filenames.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    thanks zot!
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    DesertRat's ladies necklace with garnet stones in the Best Jewelry

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Put me in for best jewelry for my VTH III find - Peter Stone Sterling Silver Pentagram & Dragon Pendant.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Put me in for best jewelry for my VTH III find >>

Well, now... I guess I'll need to be headin' over to the VTH3 thread and seein' what went down in the latter half of Round 3!

Had to be away from the 'puter practically all day!

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    I may have something to enter here from my VTH3 round.
    Or maybe not.
    We shall see.

-------
    Edit: OK, here they are. Found as part of round 5 of VTH3

For the Jewelry category:

Zot's silver ring (0.813 fine) with a leather logo

Zot's 14k gold ring with adder (snake) design. Date stamp 1963
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    Great finds. I really love the parachutist's badge and the WWI tanker button. My wife loves the necklace.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Options

<< <i> I may have something to enter here from my VTH3 round.
    Or maybe not.
    We shall see. >>

Sounds like Zot is setting us up for the kill.

You're having fun aren't you? I can tell when we're being toyed with.

I'm going to say it before you get a chance to post. You suck!

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I got a no-date buffalo nickel in my change at a Wendy's restaraunt, does that count? I don't have pictures yet image
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Another wild card find.
    1955 poor man double die cent in change last friday.
  • Options
    I am going to enter only 1 for best coin.

1890 O VAM 10A MORGAN!!! 1st Morgan I have ever dug!!!!

This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Relic

Name plate from a 1700s site in NewMarket NH.

Magic Yeast advertisement plate late 1800 to early 1900 3X6 inch porcelain

US coin/token

1874 US cent

1906 and 1909 Canada large cent

Jewelry

plated naked lady ring
  • Options
    This is very heavy duty month! image

WTG everyone.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    This is my January wildcard find. Found it on the ground crossing the street at Knotts Berry Farm over New Year's weekend. I had forgotten about it until found it on the dasboard of my wife's car where I had tossed it after getting back to the parking lot.

Silver Hoop Earring