Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Online poll: Would you sell your entire collection to purchase a '52 Mantle?

That is the question I posed, jokingly (sort of), to my wife recently. We were discussing my collection and I indicated to her I could free up a lot of space around the house by selling all of my stuff and buying a PSA 7 '52 Mantle. Then my collection would consist of one card that continues to go up every year. Heck, I might even be able to afford a PSA 8 Mantle.

I said it in jest but the idea of it continues to burn in my mind. I threw it out to a dealer-friend of mine who actually advised against it, saying that he's been surprised at the continued jumps in prices for the Mantle especially since it is triple, not double, printed. In his opinion, the '52 Mathews is a far more rare card.

What do y'all think? Would you do this if you could?

Stay classy,

Ron
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Triple printed?? I thought the Mantle was part of the last series of 52s that are quite expensive just for the commons?? But for your question, no I would not do it.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    Nope.
  • YES, I would
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    (If you want peace, prepare for War).........Semper Fi
  • cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    its double printed not triple.

its a tough call. you have to determine whether you are doing this for an investment ir for enjoyment. how about the whole set in vg/ex - ex.
    i have been building them for about a year now and am almost done 2 sets. the first one is actually a registry set. i think i am number 24th. and the second is alittle lesser grade (min psa3) and i only registered the high numbers. i will tell you one thing though. i few months back i sold an extra psa4 mantle i had and i really regret it. it brought low money ($8000) at huggins and scott auction, because it was a very weak 4. anyway, will you have more enjoyment out of just the one card, a lower grade set, or a bunch of different stuff? thats up to you to decide. hope this helps you alittle.

also you can buy a psa 5 mantle, mathews, dickey, mays, etc for the same money. that would be pretty safe i think.
    pat
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Yes, In a heartbeat. That is, depending what else I had in my collection. If I had any pre-60 items that would be so hard to find (regardless of condition) then I would keep those. Or anything of sentimental value. Anything else replacable or doesnt mean as much to you is fair game. And if you have enough for a potential PSA 8 Mantle and would be happy with a PSA 7, then go with the PSA 7 and also grab yourself an Ed Mathews (and maybe other high number stars!)

As far as regular issues go, I dont know if there is anything that isnt replacable.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Interesting replies thus far. Kind of has me thinking about liquidating the post 1960 stuff for a Mathews or perhaps a lower grade Mantle.

BTW, the "triple print" comment from the dealer..........he stated that on sheets of 1952 high numbers the first 3 cards of the series were triple printed, i.e., there were 3 of them on sheets. He is a long time dealer. I always thought the card was a double print as well.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • OverratedOverrated Posts: 454 ✭✭
    YES! the 52 Mantle will always rise in value. better get one quick, before it goes up again!!!!!As far as the Mathews card, well he was no Mantle.
    Buy the way, I bet 99% of all dealers do not have a 52 Mantle ready to sell. Psa 7&8 will be at auction houses, does your dealer friend have a 52 Mantle psa7 for sale? Most all of the 52 Mantles Psa7&8 will be privtely owned. I dont know of any dealers that would agree with yours. Sell your collection and by a 52 Mantle you will be happy you did!
    Double printed, Triple printed, Quadrimulititriocta Printed, it doesnt matter....Demand is much higher than supply! If you have the means within your collection that you could replace, I would go for the higher grade Mantle. Minimum PSA 6 (with an appearance of being undergraded) if it were me! But, you're not me!
  • fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    in 40 years will we be talking about the 2001 Pujols Bowman chrome like the 52 mantle....we know there are WAY fewer Pujols chrome rookies then mantles...

Pujols already has put together 6 better years (consecutive no less) than Mantle ever did throughout his entire career!
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I would but not because I thought that it would increase in value (although I certainaly would not want to see a significant decrease), but because that would be the only way that I would be able to obtain it. I would not be able to scrape enough cash for that purpose. Once I had the mantle the other cards would be easy to obtain/replace.

Plus if I saved up $10,000 or so, I would feel guilty spending it on one card, but for some reason selling all my cards or trading all my cards for it dosen't seem as bad.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • I would trade my 56 Topps set in PSA, SGC 7 and better for a PSA 7 or 8 Mantle in a heartbeat.

The 1952 Mantle is a hobby masterpiece.

I could always spend $20-$500 a pop on cards to get that collection back but $20k+ all at once. I won't have that many opportunities to do that and keep the card.

After you get yours, I also want one .

Dave D.

• earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    depends on what the collection is you would be selling. say you did it and the Mantle did go up $5k in a year. with all your equity being in one card you would have to sell the Mantle to use your equity to buy other cards.
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
    Let me put a twist on this. Without running the numbers, I am guessing I could liquidate my post-1960 stuff and perhaps have enough to buy a nice PSA 4, maybe a 5. Most of the stuff I'd be selling, though, is high grade (NM or better). How about that?

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

I would do it if I could guarantee myself a nicely centered PSA 5(and appearance of undergraded like an 8 with a surface wrinkle you cant see except in the right angle of light...yes, Im picky) But spending that kind of money, I would HAVE to be picky.
    What are you waiting for? sell your cards today! if you need help in finding, 52 Mantle this board is very helpfull. good luck may your dream of owning a 52 MANTLE COME TRUE.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    How much sentimental value do you have in your post-1960 cards? Do you have things that would be essentially impossible to replace - e.g., autographs, rare regionals/test sets, variations/extreme SPs? Those may well go up much faster than the Mantle.

fandango - and in 40 years, 400 of the Pujols Bowman Chrome rookies will be slabbed and numbered 5 (or 005)/500. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
    Ah yes, the sentimental value question. Good question. There is the '63 set in EX that I put together when I was 12 that isn't going anywhere - I've been slowly upgrading it and I wouldn't get that much for it anyway. The late 70's/early 80's stuff that I collected when I was a kid is sentimental but again, not worth selling because it wouldn't bring much.

Everything else has value and can be bought again. Nothing truly rare, but solid high grade material that would bring good money and could easily be purchased again. I did some quick math in my head and easily got up to $5K just thinking about a handful of cards and sets. I don't know if I can get into the range it would cost for a nice 5 or not.

The other thing is, I'm sitting on 500 or so raw cards from 1960-75 that could be graded and resold to help finance this.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

• I would buy a Lajoie, Speaker and Young or Johnson T3 instead. Spread the risk.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I would prefer to have the Mantle in PSA 8.
    But, it is pricey.

The 7 will likely store value just as well. The
    market for the 7 is broader - and will remain so.

I would not buy anything below a 7, with the proceeds
    from the sale of the other cards. Lower grades are
    essentially "coat-tail" cards, and while the market for
    them is very broad, it is a "collector market," NOT an
    investment market.

I would buy ONLY from a major auction house, and I
    would not buy anything not in a PSA holder.

If you buy the Mantle, be prepared for downward price
    corrections from time to time. What has happened to
    the price in the last 20-years is NO guarantee of what
    will happen in the next 20-years.

Obviously, large collections/accumulations provide
    diversification that offers price-protection. That
    protection is lost when you consolidate to one card.

A different level of safe-storage is also required for
    a big-money card. That storage may not be free, and
    will be an additional cost of owning the card

I would dump the collection and buy the Mantle. I
    would try to keep as much of the pre-1960 as possible,
    but I would sell whatever was necessary.

NOTE: My call is based, in part, on the fact that I have little/no
    confidence that prices are going to stick on MOST of the
    "ordinary" cards, short-term.

storm
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Fandango, doesn't Pujols have like a thousand rookies from different sets? He has an inflated amount of cards, much like the era he plays in inflates hitting numbers. Don't buy into his numbers with straight value as if a hit/run has the same game winning value now, compared to Mantle's time. Mantle was FAR more dominant than Pujols was.

As for the Mantle, it depends on the future value of what you are selling to achieve the Mantle. If you feel the Mantle will only continue to rise, but that your other cards may stay stagnant or even fall in value, then YES I would sell now, and buy the Mantle.

I did the exact same thing with my basketball collection a few years ago. Alcindor rookies are almost half the value as they were then(as are all of the 70's bskb). I turned those into an array of Pre War cards. I broke up a Nm to NM/MT '69 set(minus the Alcindor), because I wanted a nice Ruth. It took a little work, but I turned that '69 set into enough to buy a Ruth in NICE '4' grade. Was one of my best decisions ever. I could buy that '69 basketball set back any day of the week, and if i wanted it now I could get it much cheaper! In years to come, you too may be able to buy back your collection for cheaper.

Unfortunately, I couldn't hold onto the Ruth(and the other PRe War cards) for as long as I intended, as I sold it(them) for a nice profit to finance a living change.

The Mantle will hit some bumps for certain...but your more common items will hit those bumps at the same time(and most likely recover not as much).

Buy low, sell high are words to live by. Too bad it isn't always easy to decide when high is high image

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, much as I might like to - the sum total of all my cards wouldn't come close to affording a decent '52 Mantle. So I must answer "no." image

<< <i>Fandango, doesn't Pujols have like a thousand rookies from different sets? He has an inflated amount of cards, much like the era he plays in inflates hitting numbers. Don't buy into his numbers with straight value as if a hit/run has the same game winning value now, compared to Mantle's time. Mantle was FAR more dominant than Pujols was.

image >>

skinpinch, Pujols does have many different rookie year cards , 197 to be exact with 43 being true RC's......
    however that does not mean there is an over abundance of his cards....

yes there may be 200,000 Upper deck rookies, and 50,000 bowman issues, but there are a lot of his 2001 cards that are very limited...in fact the most popular Pujols rookies cards are limited to under 500....Only 500 Bowman chromes, that is way less then the 1952 DP cards...

That is what is so great about pUJOLS rookie cards, they run from $20 to $10,000.....

Card companies started getting it right in 2001, they no longer mass produced cards, they Serial numbered most of the Pujols rookies, which held supply low, while the demand keeps rising.....

saying Pujols has "inflated " number of rookie cards is not entirely accurate.....the cards that have value now and have grown in value in the past 4 years, are the 2001 cards that are limited (have serial numbers)...if you search ebay pujols 2001, most of the cards for sale are the more common ones, UD, bowman, Fleer platinum team leaders, Fleer tradition.....there are not a lot of high end numbered cards available...

try finding a 2001 ultimate collection Pujols /250 in good shape--near impossible.....try finding a 2001 Leaf Certified Pujols /200 in good shape--near impossible...try finding a 2001 fleer E-X/500 in good shape, near impossible---you see there are many Pujols rookies that remain rare and elusive in high grade....

to say Mantle was FAR more dominant than Pujols is not correct....what other player has lead the league in Slugging, runs scored, Rbi, and RBI's and has struck out so few times! Pujols is not just a slugger, he is a HITTER--best plate discipline/knowledge of any player!

modern players many times have spikes in their numbers, but pujols has been a model of consistency since 10th grade!

In 50 years, people will talk of the 2 best hitters ever in baseball..RUTH and PUJOLS....
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I know you have a passion for Pujols, but c'mon now...

Only 500 Bowman chromes, that is way less then the 1952 DP cards

Pujols has "limited cards" to 500...there has only been 769 1952 MAntles graded 600 being PSa 6 or lower. I would most mantles have been graded already, where as many Pujols are still in packs or colelctions. Although graded they bring HUGE numbers!

<< <i>

In 50 years, people will talk of the 2 best hitters ever in baseball..RUTH and PUJOLS.... >>

...Yeah they will forget about Cobb. I see Pujols being popular for a very long time, but I dont see folks forgetting about "the Mick"
    tHERE IS LESS THAN 100 PSA 7 TO 10 52 MANTLES! ALBERT P. NEEDS 6 MORE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS, BEFORE EVEN START TALKING. WATER DOWNED LEAUGE, STERIODS, STRIKEZONE SMALLER, WEEK PITCHING, ARMOUR WEAR, PITCHING MOUND LOWER, ETC... ALBERT GOOD PLAYER BUTT MANTLE! PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK.
  • I don't think I'd ever sell everything for one card (even a Wagner).

I like looking through the cards I have. I like buying cards I use to dream about when 12-13-14 years old with $20 in allowance money to spend on cards. I like the thrill of the hunt and seeing new things for sale.

All that for one card....ehhhh....even for a '52 Mantle, I can't see it.

• Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    To answer the question, yes I would. I am doing something along that lines now, but not on quite the same scale. I'd rather have a few nicer items than a bunch of smaller items that are just taking up space. But that is just me, you got to make the decision that will make you most happy. And that is the key question really, what will make you happiest. I like to look at my collection and I got so much stuff I can't display it all. So I am getting rid of some stuff I like, but putting the money twords something I will like even more. Mine is on a much smaller scale than yours, but the same principle. Think this through before you do anything and make a decision you can be happy with. And please let us know what you decide to do. image

<< <i>In 50 years, people will talk of the 2 best hitters ever in baseball..RUTH and PUJOLS.... >>

Sorry, I can't agree with you there. How can anyone have a conversation about the greatest hitters and leave Ted Williams out of it? image
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ron

Simple question.

Is this a hobby for you?

If so. Then your question is a non sequitur.

If investment is what you're looking for?

If you liquidated your entire collection and had one PSA 7 or 8 Mantle - then you wouldn't have a collection or really a hobby...

I spend an hour each day sorting, another hour reading, another 2+ hours here.

If you had 20-30K - I'll bet a good financial advisor can diversify that money and kick the crap out of whatever appreciation you would get on a PSA 7 52T Mantle.

That's my take.
    mike
    Mike
  • Pujols might be the next Stan the Man, but Mantle? No chance.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • No. My personal preference is actually my Star Wars cards. However, I would carry a 1952 Mantle over many stocks.

-Scott
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"

<< <i>tHERE IS LESS THAN 100 PSA 7 TO 10 52 MANTLES! ALBERT P. NEEDS 6 MORE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS, BEFORE EVEN START TALKING. WATER DOWNED LEAUGE, STERIODS, STRIKEZONE SMALLER, WEEK PITCHING, ARMOUR WEAR, PITCHING MOUND LOWER, ETC... ALBERT GOOD PLAYER BUTT MANTLE! PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK. >>

DO THE CAPS MEAN YOU ARE YELLING THIS?

those things you said seem to pertain to modern baseball, does that mean that no modern player can ever be considered Great/immortal because of the timeframe...that does not seem fair to preclude a great player from greatness simply because of the era....

again there are only 500 pujols chrome cards (at most-many were unredeemed) and there were hundreds of thousands of 52 mantles....

as time goes on, there will be many more 52 mantles graded (there were only 20 graded in 1998) as more attic finds pop-up....but you cant grade cards that dont exist (remember only 500 pujols no matter how many attics are searched)...this does not take anything away from the 52 mantle (one of the greatest cards ever), but i think the potential is similar for the 2001 Pujols....

Pujols doesnt wear armor...if the league is so watered down, how come more players dont have the stats or consistency that pujols is producing?
  • ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭
    This is a fun question and discussion. A couple of years ago I took an honest look at what I was doing in the hobby. After a close look, I decided that I had too much stuff. I then realized that many items that I would love to have in my collection were attainable if I was willing to take the time to sell and accumulate the cash. I'm not talking about anything near the amount that you're talking about, but I have been able to make additions to my collection that I once had under the "unattainable" column.

If it's something you want and have a desire for I say to go for it.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    197 to be exact with 43 being true RC's

That's FUNNY.

Will Pujols ever be spoken of like Mantle? Who knows but I predict with some certainty that a Pjols "rookie" card will never be confused with THE '52 Mantle.

As for selling your collection, Stone (as usual) hit it on the head. Is it a hobby or an investment? I like my collection. I ENJOY my '81 Donruss cards, I enjoy my Larry Allen cards, etc.... A '52 Mantle as a part of hobby is appealing if I could afford one but I would not trade my hobby for one card and I would not choose to invest my retirement assets in a baseball card.
  • estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    Nope.

No doubt that Pujols is putting up Ruthian numbers --- beyond what Mantle did. However, it is still pre-mature to put Pujols up against the all-time greats.

He needs 12 to 15 years under his belt.

BTW, comparing Pujol's single WS victory against Mantle (7?) is not a fair comparison.

I also don't agree that folks will compare that Pujols card you mention against a 1952 Mantle. Even if there's 500 of them, I'd say 400 of them are in Mint plus condition. I doubt there's even 50 1952 Mantle's in PSA 8 or better in existence.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik

<< <i>

again there are only 500 pujols chrome cards (at most-many were unredeemed) and there were hundreds of thousands of 52 mantles....

>>

I dunno what the production count was, but I assure you that 90% of ALL Mantles have been graded. I thik the 80's brought 300.000 of each card printed in the HEYDAY of cards. So I find it hard to believe that there were "hundreds of thousands" of Mantles printed. ys it was double printed.. HOWEVER most of topps unused product...mainly high numbers, were dumped in the Atlantic when it came time to market the 53 set.
    I digress A pujols PSA 8 is a dog, whereas a Mantle psa 8 is a gem. 2001 is when kids started using holders, and adults bought packs for "chase cards". I cant see spending 10k on a "modern" card. i would sell all of my post 19080 stuff for a DOG psa 1 Mantle...just to make space ya know......

As far as the arguement of waterdown leagues and so forth well it is an "era" in baseball. If Pujols is the best of an ERA then you cant take that away from him, he has alot of hgreat years left and maybe a triple crown in his future image And to the maroon writing in all caps, please learn to spell, use punctuation and soforth.
  • AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    No. Having only one card would be no fun, and I have too many irreplacable cards.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
    Mike - fair questions. It is a hobby for me, at least primarily. I'm building a collection of high grade vintage sets because they're something that I want to have, not necessarily because I think they'll skyrocket in price (hope they do, of course). That said, I do want a '52 Mantle someday - just to have - and there's a certain allure to starting my collection "over" with the signature card of the post-war era.

Part of my thinking stems from the fact that I just finished a '57 set in high grade, and while there are several other sets I'm working on at the moment, my desire to complete any of them isn't as great as it was with the 57's. So then I think, "hmmm........if I sold everything but the 57's, could I get a nice Mantle, downsize and focus my collection and then go from there?"

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Ripulicanin Mass, "he has alot of hgreat years left"? before you call some a mooron, check yourself. Clown
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    My humble opinion is the '51 Bowman mantle is a better buy than the '52 topps Mantle.... I'd buy the Rookie over the 2nd year card at a fraction of the cost any day. Plus the bowman is a great looking card. Then you have the real Mantle rookie, and you can keep a lot of your collection you would otherwise have to sell.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Ron, what will give you more pride of ownership?

Fandango, Mickey Mantle was the best hitter in baseball for appx 6 different seasons, not too shabby for a Centerfielder!

Pujols is NOT the best of his generation...he is leaps behind Barry Bonds. Without getting into the best stats, I will use the best quick measure...Pujols has NOT led MLB in OPS+ a SINGLE TIME! His MLB best finishes were , 2nd, 4th, 2nd, 2nd, 10th, no other top ten.

Mantle?

2nd, 10th, 7th, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 7th, 3rd, 1st, 1st, 1st. YES SIX TIMES 1st...this is RUTH, Bonds, and Williams territory, not Pujols territory.

Pujols has done quite well, but his numbers are just as much a product of the inflated environment as everyone else from his generation...and he nowhere near has shone as well as Mantle among his peers, AND MANTLE IS A CENTERFIELDER! And Mantle could run circles around Pujols.

Strikeouts? Show me how many times Pujols's batted ball outs resulted in moving runners over, and compare it to Mantle's and you will see a a neglible value of that event.

Mantle is certainly a better hitter, a leaps and bounds better fielder and baserunner.

Pujols is quite good, but simply no Mantle.

• MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I am selling most of my Clemente player registry to buy the Clemente RC.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Morgoth, what do you plan on doing in the future then? Will you be buying back the Clemente's in lower grade?
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

I dunno what the production count was, but I assure you that 90% of ALL Mantles have been graded. >>

I wouldnt be too sure about that. My fiances father had 7 of em, and only graded a few last year. He still has a few ungraded and I am sure his case is not an isolated one. Im sure there are many people like him out there who grew up Mantle fans and when they got older and had the disposable income bought them up like he did in the late 80's to early 90's before grading. Lots of people his age who had the $$ and worshipped Mantle as children dont care a lick about collecting anything else, nor have any interest in modern 3rd party grading. They bought the cards because they grew up loving Mantle and wanted to own one. My guess is there are still thousands upon thousands in personal collections that wont see 3rd party grading until the cards are passed on to the next generation.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    No.

<< <i>Nope.

No doubt that Pujols is putting up Ruthian numbers --- beyond what Mantle did. However, it is still pre-mature to put Pujols up against the all-time greats.

He needs 12 to 15 years under his belt.

BTW, comparing Pujol's single WS victory against Mantle (7?) is not a fair comparison.

I also don't agree that folks will compare that Pujols card you mention against a 1952 Mantle. Even if there's 500 of them, I'd say 400 of them are in Mint plus condition. I doubt there's even 50 1952 Mantle's in PSA 8 or better in existence. >>

the thing with the pujols bowman chrome is that its a big deal to own one, no matter what the condition....a lot of pujols 2001 cards are that way, they are so scarce (many numbered to 25) that the condition does not give it value, its the scarcity and the demand....

remember, the pujols chrome was a redemption, meaning no others are in packs or attics....the 52 mantle may still have hundreds of buried cards still to be found....

<< <i>Ripulicanin Mass, "he has alot of hgreat years left"? before you call some a mooron, check yourself. Clown >>

Hi troll, also know as overated. Please read your asinine post again, and feel free to make changes. Parents like yours shouldn't let there children near a computer. Hopefully, they will add Savant to the end of your name image
  • [qas time goes on, there will be many more 52 mantles graded (there were only 20 graded in 1998) as more attic finds pop-up....but you cant grade cards that dont exist (remember only 500 pujols no matter how many attics are searched)...this does not take anything away from the 52 mantle (one of the greatest cards ever), but i think the potential is similar for the 2001 Pujols....

Pujols doesnt wear armor...if the league is so watered down, how come more players dont have the stats or consistency that pujols is producing? >>

Haven't there been something like 3 or 4 of these #5/500 turn up in different holders? But I digress. I hope Pujols continues to play at the level he is currently because it would be great for baseball. Unfortunately, the injury bug seems to creep up and diminish the later years. If that does happen, I feel the value of the Bowman Chrome would crumble. I personally feel it is way over inflated as it is. I like his 2001 Donruss Signature RC more than his Bowman Chrome anyway. Just my $0.02. image

Scott

BTW: In answer to the original question, I would sell my collection for the Mantle for the simple fact that I can rebuild the parts of the collection but I doubt I'd ever have the lump sum to drop on a card of that caliber ever again. Heck, I'd do it for any of these in high grade:

'33 Goudey Ruth or LaJoie
    '09-11 T-206 Magie (Magee)
    '14 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
    '11 T-205 Cobb
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That said, I do want a '52 Mantle someday >>

Ron

I can't fault ya there. I wished I had picked one up in the 80s - thought it was too high then - now - a nice one is out of my reach.

This was a good question.

I fear it's been mildly hijacked with talks of other players like Pujols.

As I sit and type - there's cards on my desk - a 2006 acquired auto jersey hanging on the door - things on the walls - shelves packed with stuff - vending machines in the corners - GU and auto'ed bats mounted on the wall - I think you get the picture...

I feel good when I sit here - it would be tough to admire just one card sitting on my desk.

And, BTW, in no way am I faulting you or criticizing your idea of wanting to pick up an item that would appreciate and reward you down the road.

I said this before - except for one person who said NEVER - we have all thought about the value of our collections in some kind of context - somewhere's along the way.

mike
    Mike