Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Post your New Year's Numismatic Resolutions!

Another year gone. What will the year ahead bring your collection?

Are you finally going to move away from the "everything that looks purty" approach and refine it to a "logical" theme? Any coins in particular that you will be hunting this coming year?

The idea for this thread is to post your want lists, but feel free to tell us what you plan for your collection in the new year!

I'll go first. I'm definitely resolving to narrow my scope. I've been doing well on it this past year and have finally drawn up a list of my priority coins.

I'm going for a type set of 1914 dated coins of Europe and its colonies. The reason being, other than my fascination with that forgotten war (which really was a dividing line in history, ushering in the modern era and drawing the map that was more solidly confirmed after the second war)--well, simply, this period featured some of the last of the classic designs of the old world. I would like to do a full type set of Europe from the late 1800s to WWII or so, just because there are so many impressive designs. But this seems the best way to narrow the field and legitimate buying so many coins. Maybe another set later, once I finish this one image

Here is my full wantlist on the BST forum, some of the pricier ones (German States' marks, etc) are omitted for now (darn budget!).

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going to sell off 75% of my collection and narrow my collecting focus to mainly Maundy sets.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    I'll probably make some small "sets" with NGC multi-coin holders:

- Don helped me finish the Swiss standing Helvetia 3 coin set, so i'll have NGC re-holder those
    - I'm looking to do a 1914-A Prussian set with the Wilhelm II bust in Marks, to include my 20 Mark gold
    - i'd like to do a nice one with Canadian silver dollars; nothing too rare, just nice designs
    - maybe a 5 Mark silver coin array from Germany, maybe 1888 - 1920 or so

the occasional gold coin that strikes my fancy for my Signature Set

good thread BTW!

Happy New Years everyone!

• Options
    I'm going to be selling off my maundy sets and increase my collection by about 75%.

....wait, I don't have any maundy sets. GREAT! there goes that idea.
  • Options
    GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    Well I for one will be looking for an awesome Maundy set, beautifully toned. Me I'm diverse in my coin/currency collection. Lightside/Darkside, it doesn't matter. I guess I'd be more inclined to stay put if financially there was a better option but it seems that keeping a broad spectrum I can bounce between sides and buy what's affordable/reasonable at my price point and be happy with it.

I want to horde more Canadian Currency too. I live close to the border and we get a lot of Canadian change here.
    Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to continue with my Spanish colonial milled half reals and British Victoria gold sets.
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

My goal this year is organizational. First, I want to transfer everything onto a Saf-Flip or Air-Tite that isn't there already. Second, I want to give an appropriate acetone rinse/bath to any coin that needs it. Third, I want to create a database of any coin worth keeping. Fourth, I want to sell off those coins that I no longer want, to be culled out as I create the database. Fifth, I want to look into proper insurance for my collection. Sixth, I want to buy Ajaan's collection as he sells it off. If I manage all that, I may look into finding better ways to display and store the coins, so that I can enjoy them more...!!

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My goal this year is organizational. First, I want to transfer everything onto a Saf-Flip or Air-Tite that isn't there already. Second, I want to give an appropriate acetone rinse/bath to any coin that needs it. Third, I want to create a database of any coin worth keeping. Fourth, I want to sell off those coins that I no longer want, to be culled out as I create the database. Fifth, I want to look into proper insurance for my collection. >>

Forgive me for stealing your ideas, but it's almost as if you read my mind. image
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I am going to be more discriminating. Fewer purchases, higher grades.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take Bailathacl's answer, but for #6 instead of buying Aajaan's collection (sorry Don), I will "Read More and Buy Less". I'll take the storage one as #7 and Sunom's as #8. Wow, easy this year imageimageimage.

Happy New Year all! I'm working this year, so in case I don't get another chance...enjoy and be safe.

Cathy

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will continue to force myself to sell coins that I don't seriously collect. It will be painful.

I will continue to buy everything I find that fits in my core collections. This will be even more painful.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    I will probably define my collecting (after a some research) to WWI or WWII coins of the European theater. I figure, I love Europe (I'm Norwegian/German), and I collect WWII militaria, why not have the coins to complement them. I also hope to acquire a nice hoard of good 'ol Spanish Reales. I've got to sell off all of my American coins that have been sitting around. That should help finance my cause.image
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I will continue to buy coins, but at a much lower pace until I am fully settled in.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I will prevent my family, my work, and my social obligations from getting in the way of my collection.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I am going to continue my Victoria Medal collection, concentrating on getting one of each date in "R" Rarity. To hell with the common ones till I complete the rare ones by date.
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    I plan on seriously scaling back my Darkside collecting (I know ... blasphemy!!!) to just the Victorian Type Set and British Conder Tokens with architectural themes. I will be selling a load of Darkside material that I have accumulated over the past few years in order to fund the purchase of higher quality coins for what I will continue to collect. My purchases will be fewer, but of better quality coins.

Well, if I can afford 'em ... image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    imageimage buy smarter,narrow my want list and nothing to do with coins but to quit smoking image 3 days so farimage

HAPPY NEW YEARS TO ALL MOJO
    Ebay Seller I.D
    the_northern_trading_company
    ace@airadv.net
    imageimage
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Lose 50 lbs total
    started at 260 lbs. 40" waist on Nov. 7th
    at 240 lbs. 37" waist yesterday

I'm 6' 3"

Sell all my kreuzers buy USA $10 Indian

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>imageimage buy smarter,narrow my want list and nothing to do with coins but to quit smoking image 3 days so farimage

HAPPY NEW YEARS TO ALL MOJO >>

Congrats Mojo, I am proud of you

Get your a** on a treadmill. You will see what smoking does to your body.

Take control of your addiction, don't let your addiction control you

Jim

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    TTT

Looks like we can look forward to some good sales in the coming year! image (I know I'll be unloading some stuff soon as I get PayPal set up)
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Well, I resolve to

1) Sell off my New Orleans Mint Morgan $ collection
    and use funds to
    2) Continue to build on my World Gold Collection, my purchases will be fewer, but of quality classic, historic, hammered gold coins . image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to those that have a plan and to those that are well on their way to meeting their goals/objectives...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    Organize and document my collection. Already started the same the last week of the year and completed the slabs! Now the humongous task of documenting the raw ones! Trim out the collection and concentrate on the series I like the most.
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    Get my full-fledged web site developed and up by June 1,,,,,
  • Options
    Same as last year, start keeping up with how much I spend and make on coins!! image Not gonna happen!!
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders