Home Metal Detecting

ENTRY/NOMINATION THREAD: December , 2006 "QUALITY" AWARDS (Best Coin/Jewelry/Relic/Wildcar

Please enter your finds (or nominate somebody else's finds) for this month's five Metal Detecting Forum "Quality" awards:

The five "quality" award categories are:

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token
Best U.S. Coin/Token
Best Jewelry Item
Best Relic/Other
Best "Wild Card" Find

There is no limit on the number of entries per forum member. If your find seems humble in comparison to some of the others, don't sweat it- we like to see what everybody's found, be it humble or fantastic. Just post your item and a brief story of how you found it, or a link to your thread about the find, if there was one. If you can, post a picture of your item (small to medium-sized pictures of single items, please, rather than large groupings, since the pictures will be used in the poll threads at the end of the month). If you make a neat find and do not post it here, we might miss it later when we put the award polls up, so be sure and post your better finds here even if you already posted your own thread about them. Also, let us know what category you're entering for.

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token: This includes all world coinage with the exception of US minted coins obviously.

Best U.S. Coin/Token: this category is pretty self-explanatory. Note that it is for detector finds of coins minted in the U.S from 1776 to present - if a coin or token was found in circulation or by eyesight, it belongs in the "Wild Card" category. The award is for single coin finds, though if a cache is found all in the same hole and/or same container at the same time, it may be entered as a single item.

Best Jewelry Item: also pretty straightforward, but if you find coin jewelry, you can choose to put it here or in the Coin category. Also, if you find lost jewelry and return it to its proper owner, you still get to enter it in the competition, even though it wasn't "finders keepers". (See if you can get a picture of it, though).

Best Relic/Other: this category pretty much covers anything found with a detector that isn't a coin or jewelry.

Best "Wild Card" Item: this category is only for finds made without a detector. It may include coins or jewelry, but if you found those with your detector, they go in the categories above. This is for surface "eyeball" finds, circulation coin finds, and pretty much anything else, including nonmetallic finds like arrowheads, bottles, fossils, gemstones, gold nuggets, minerals, natural history specimens, pottery, prehistoric artifacts, and so on. Be sure and mention that the item you are entering is a "Wild Card" find, so we'll know which category to put it in when the polls go up at the end of the month.
Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments

• DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Wild card
    Pulled a Korean 100 WON out of the CoinStar yesterday.
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if you can call this "quality," but it's the first large cent I've dug in more than 3 years, so here it is.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe that isn't "quality" from the traditional collector or dealer's standpoint, but when you're diggin', the rules are different. Monetary value goes out the window, and it's all about the "coolness factor".

Think of how many of us dig countless crusty zinc Memorial cents or grubby brown clad dimes, hoping for that occasional Wheatie or glint of silver. Yup, that's a quality find, all right.

I have only found three large cents in roughly 20 years of detecting. The last was 2-1/2 years ago. At least twice I have watched people near me find them while I got skunked.

I think I need to go out and find one before the week is out. There's an old plantation site nearby, and they just bulldozed some of the woods there.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Best jewelry:

Zot's silver ring with belt design, date stamp 1900.

Best non-US coin:
    Zot's Finnish 1 markka 1892 (silver)

Zot's Finnish 50 penniä 1865 (silver)

Zot's Finnish 25 penniä 1889 (silver)

Zot's British 1 Shilling 1942 (0.500 silver)

Best relic

Zot's gold plated perpetual calendar

Zot's decorative button
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    I finally have some things to enter again (and I never would have figured on finding them in December in NY!):

An 1806 British half penny:

imageimage

And this thing (jewelry or relic?- it looks to be silver plated copper or brass):

• ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    ttt
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Best Relic: Post Civil War Military ID of D.A. Johnstson. Delaware, Ohio.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Best Non-US coin:
    1811 French Franc depicting Napoleon

Best jewelry:
    925 Silver charm

Best US coin:
    1853 Seated Dime (with arrows)

• phutphut Posts: 1,087
    US coin

1872 Shield Nickel

1812 Large Cent

Non-US coin