Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Purchase: 1834 $5 Gold........opinions please. (Just got PCGS grade)

OneyOney Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭
I also posted this coin last week for opinions. I like old gold, there is something about it the draws you to it.... What are your thoughts on the coin and grade? Should I try to remove the black sudge in the shield before sending to PCGS? Techniques? Left it alone and sent it in to PCGS. Just receive the grade: AU-53!

imageimage
Brian

Comments

• Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    Lightly....try a toothpick or rose thorn to see if you can remove the gunk from the shield.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Looks really nice and original NCS maybe or do it yourself or leave it alone, I understand you dilemma-=BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    I would leave it as is... such a gorgeous old gold coin, I wouldn't even risk messing it up...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Whatever you do, don't NCS it- seems like they butcher coins more than they help 'em.

Also, consider what may be beneath the blackness. Look at it closely under a strong loupe and try to determine what it is before you do anything. You can't undo what's been done. It might be best to leave it alone.

Lastly, I don't know much about gold or early gold, but I do know that most pieces seem to lack the original, kinda dull look that this piece has. Looks like a really nice coin.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    Thanks everyone....
    Brian
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin. If you try to remove the black dirt from the shield, I will hunt you down and you will die a very painful death. image Don't touch it!

(see sigline quote)
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I really like that coin alot.....

Personally I would not try and do anything with that black mark, it fits the coin in alot of ways.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    The gunk in the shield actually adds immeasurably to the coin's appeal, for a knowledgeable buyer. Trying to remove it would not be a good idea.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an AU-50 and should slab even with the gunk.

(from the photo)
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I like it. I would grade it AU-50. Don't mess with the dirt!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    The little spot won't affect the grade. Its used and it's obvious. The only thing you can do is screw it up.

Leave it alone.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a classic EF-40 coinm, which means it will get into an AU-50 slab these days and be PQ compared to the most of the rest of the stuff that gets those grades. The third party grading services overgrade these coins like crazy, and they don't seem to care if the coin has been "curated" to the point of looking like brass.

Sorry for the tirade, but when one prices and looks for a coin graded AU, one would expect to see a pleasant example. Sadly if you are shopping for Classic Head $5 and $2.50 gold pieces these days, you should prepare yourself for disappointment.

Why do I not grade this piece as a “classic AU?” I don’t see any luster on mint surface on the coin. Natural wear appears to have removed it from the photo. By the way the flat spot over Ms. Liberty’s ear is the usual strike for this type and date, and has only a minor affect on the grade of the piece.

Edited to add - I agree with the others. Leave the dirt. It goes with the coin.

Here's the piece that is in my collection. I grade it AU-55, but it's in an NGC MS-61. I've seen an MS-61 PCGS counterpart, and the state of preservation was the same.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

I like it just the way it is, Brian!!

Send it to me, and I'll send you a VF-35
    2003 Lincoln Cent.

If you take the price of the MS-70, figure
    the basil state price, and multiply it by 35,
    I think you would be happy with the deal!!

What do you say??

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    My 2 cents on this topic -- leave the coin the way it is. It's nice and original.

For comparison purposes, here's mine. It is in PCGS XF45 plastic (somewhat recent grading...3-4 months ago). Odd, because my coin still has a good deal of luster (in hand) and I think is just a bit weakly struck on the obverse. Nevertheless, I think you'll get an AU50 on your coin if there is still some residual luster...if not, it'll go XF. Between me, myself and I, that's our prediction.

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a nice XF-45 coin, which means it'll PCGS or NGC AU-50 easy today... maybe AU-53 @ NGC. Plueeeezzeee don't NCS it... that will ruin its originality and character. If you want it to look washed out and brassy (ie, abnormally bright, lifeless coloration & ugly), then send it to NCS. Otherwise, I would leave it be... that's a very nice looking coin as is... just say NO to conservation!
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    The coin has more lustre than the photo shows. Its in a 2x2 which is white but the photo shows the 2x2 off color.
    Brian
  • Options

<< <i>My image on this topic -- leave the coin the way it is. It's nice and original.

For comparison purposes, here's mine. It is in PCGS XF45 plastic (somewhat recent grading...3-4 months ago). Odd, because my coin still has a good deal of luster (in hand) and I think is just a bit weakly struck on the obverse. Nevertheless, I think you'll get an AU50 on your coin if there is still some residual luster...if not, it'll go XF. image Between me, myself and I, that's our prediction. >>

Evidently you're stealing images there. image

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • Options
    VTCoinsVTCoins Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭
    Boy you guys are tough!

Looks AU55 to me.
    Tim Puro
    Puro's Coins and Jewelry
    Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my website www.vtcoins.com

Link to my eBay auctions

Buy, sell and trade all coins, US paper money, jewelry, diamonds and anything made of gold, silver or platinum.
  • Options
    About eight years ago I had a customer give me a want list for one of these coins as a type piece. He wanted a nice EF. Sure enough I went to a Baltimore coin show, and found one in an NGC. The grade was EF-45, and I agreed with it completely. I paid a little over EF bid, and supplied to my customer at my usual 10 to 15 percent mark-up.

Then the grading standards slipped and NCS got into the conservation business. Today it's really hard to find any of these coins properly graded and not messed with to make them shinny. Sadly that’s were the coin business has gone for these coins in less than a decade.

The Classic Head $5 gold is a very scarce type coin is strict Mint State. These coins represented more than a week’s salary for skilled laborer when they were issued and few people could afford to put them away in a collection. Furthermore there were few collectors in the U.S. before 1857 when the U.S. stopped issuing large cents. That action created the first significant group of U.S. collectors.

While the Classic Head $5 is tough in Mint State, coins in VF to AU condition are fairly common. Sadly a lot of those pieces have been gussied up to make them look like Mint State coins to the untrained eye, and many of the nice pieces are now cleaned horrors that don’t cut it with collectors who know quality.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    The toothpick/thorn answer scares me.
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options

<< <i>The toothpick/thorn answer scares me. >>

There is no problem with that. Both items are soft enough that they won't scratch the coin, yet they might remove the crud. The trouble is sometimes you might not be happy with what is under the crud.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I guess AU-50.
    I also vote to leave it as is.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Evidently you're stealing images there. image

Jonathan >>

Funny...I've had the emotions in my bookmarks forever. Maybe they've started cracking down? image
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks XF45. I like it. I think a toothpick is your best bet on the gunk. Dont push hard, though.

-David
  • Options
    Updated with PCGS grade.......
    Brian
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Congrat's!!image I'd love to own one like it some day!!image
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice piece.
  • Options
    IRCWCoinsIRCWCoins Posts: 895 ✭✭
    AWESOME™ I need to get one of those.
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    AU53 is a grade that is really dislike on all gold coins. Don't get me wrong--coins in that grade are fine--but really I believe most coins are either AU50 or 55.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    fun thread. nice job!
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    At NGC it might go AU55

At PCGS it should go XF40-45 so I am surprised at the AU53 grade based on the below photo.

See the link in my sigline for PCGS examples of each grade.

PCGS just graded this one AU50:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file