Home U.S. Coin Forum

Would you have added confidence in Coin Grading by ICG if it were "approved" by the ANA ?

CoinWorld, Nov.13th issue indicates that the ANA Board members would decide in December which TPG companies it would "approve" for a FEE to display the coveted ANA "Seal of Approval". If ICG, SEGS etc. are on the "approved list" would you be more inclined toward purchasing their graded coins ?

Not me, You get what you Pay For, or What you Deserve---Sam Walton

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really care whose plastic encapsulates a coin I buy sight-seen. Sight-unseen (or at least "unheld in my hands"), the answer is no.
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't matter. Either way, I'd tend to avoid high MS-grade ICG coins, especially moderns, and either way I'd trust them as much as anyone for circulated classics.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

Truth is, I see so few ICG graded coins that I have no real opinion about them so far as classic US goes.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    No, not at all.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    ROTFLimage
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    A paid endorsement or "approval" of any grading company is worthless. Actually, it's worse than that, as it can be highly misleading.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A seal of approval for writing a check? C'mon... you can't be serious to even ask such a question.

Now my confidence level might go up just a tidge if the ANA were to assume a fiscal responsibility for the accuracy of the grading done by their "approved" TPGs, but I doubt there's much chance of that happening, is there? image
    When in doubt, don't.
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Today, the ANA seal of approval.... tomorrow, admission into the Circle of Trust™. Where does it ever end?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    no, of course not

K S
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    Would you have added confidence in Coin Grading by ICG if it were "approved" by the ANA ?

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A paid endorsement or "approval" of any grading company is worthless. Actually, it's worse than that, as it can be highly misleading. >>

Words of wisdom.
  • 500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, the approval by the ANA does not mean much at all.
    The market place is where reputation is approved - the ANA is quite irrelevant.
    Finem Respice
  • UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭
    Didn't ACG write the ANA a check?

What is most important to me is the TPG's acceptance by the market.

Joe.
  • ANA approval of a TPGS means nothing if it's been bought. I believe that the ANA should not endorse any service unless that service complies with the published ANA grading standards. Evidently the ANA doesn't think much of their own standards. image
    Bob
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can be sure that the eligability for the ANA's approval will be limited to the top tier grading services.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭
    Being "approved" by the ANA doesn't mean SQUAT anymore, damn organization.......

TorinoCobra71

• image . . image . . image . .image
  • JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Any of the services that provide professional opinions are entitled to the ANA seal, IMHO.

There are quite competent professionals at ICG and ANACS in addition to PCGS and NGC. Larry Briggs at SEGS is a competent numismatist.

Since none of the services are perfect, why should anyone dismiss out of hand another professional service?

Purchasers still need to examine the coins to see if they meet the qualifications for inclusion in their collections.

Perhaps, there will be some sort of regulation by the ANA that the service needs to make good on any gross grading problem. Perhaps, none of the services will even apply.

Do Not Purchase coins blind without any recourse to the seller.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    <<Any of the services that provide professional opinions are entitled to the ANA seal, IMHO.>>

Julian, why should a deserving service have to PAY for that ANA seal?image

• << <i>Any of the services that provide professional opinions are entitled to the ANA seal, IMHO.

There are quite competent professionals at ICG and ANACS in addition to PCGS and NGC. Larry Briggs at SEGS is a competent numismatist.

Since none of the services are perfect, why should anyone dismiss out of hand another professional service?

Purchasers still need to examine the coins to see if they meet the qualifications for inclusion in their collections.

Perhaps, there will be some sort of regulation by the ANA that the service needs to make good on any gross grading problem. Perhaps, none of the services will even apply.

Do Not Purchase coins blind without any recourse to the seller. >>

Well said.

There seems to be a lot of Koolaid today for our enjoyment. I guess because it's Halloween.image
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Questions..... Did PCGS once have the seal of approval before?
    Did PCGS get outbid by NGC for the approval this time?
    Would all this knocking of the approval be going on if PCGS would have won the bid?

Just curious.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

• << <i>Questions..... Did PCGS once have the seal of approval before? >>

Not a "seal of approval, but the right to claim "Official grading service of the ANA". Should be slightly more prestiegious (there should only be one "official grading service of", but there can be multiple "approved services"), but pretty much the same thing.

<< <i>Did PCGS get outbid by NGC for the approval this time? >>

Yes

<< <i>Would all this knocking of the approval be going on if PCGS would have won the bid? >>

Yes I honestly think there would be. The objection isn't so must that there will be services, probably multilple services that get the ANA seal of approval, but the fact that the approval is bought rather than earned by meeting objective standards.
  • JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    The approval should not be able to be purchased without meeting certain standards.

I do not see anything wrong with that. It is a fund-raising tool for the ANA, but the ANA is the most visible numismatic organization and still provides many educational services.

I would wholeheartedly endorse several services, if they met the criteria.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can be sure that the eligability for the ANA's approval will be limited to the top tier grading services. >>

Julian---As you can see, I think we are pretty much in agreement on this issue.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file