Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1999-2008 silver proof sets where will the price go?

When the silver proof sets are done being minted in 2008 will the price be substancialy higher or will the price drop with the market being flooded with complete sets? I am curious right now because on eBay the 1999-2006 silver proof sets are going for $750.00

Comments

• Options
    Half of the value for your listed sets is in the 1999 and 2001 sets !
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,836 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Up
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    I am guessing as much as anyone but I say down. I think completion of the State Quarter series isn't as fun as collecting for many. So I predict a market flood of complete sets that will drive the prices down.

The Presidential dollars will be a cross-over series so some may hold and continue collecting until that is complete as well.

Then the Mint will dream up another cross-over before the Presidents end...and so on..and so on...

If you've grown tired of the State Quarter series, or proof sets in general, sell now in my opinion. If you enjoy them and plan to keep collecting than the value is irrelevant. Just continue to enjoy them.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the prices will drift lower on lots of them as folks tend to pull intrest away from state quarters. Those silver sets like the 99 and 01 could take a sizeable hit. I think unc rolls of state quarters will be back near face value as several are already.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of the states quarter collectors are getting pretty sophisticated but there
    are still millions who don't know about mint marks, proof, varieties, and silver. As
    they learn about such things they are keeping a steady demand on the silver PR
    sets as they become available on the secondary market. The rate at which they
    become available is a complicated interplay between price and what owners are
    willing to sell for. As the program winds down more and more holders will want to
    sell to get the best price before the market reinvents itself after the Hawaii issue.

The common assumption is that long term prices will be down and for common coins
    this is probably true. But there will be millions of people looking to complete their
    with coins they never found in circulation and the issues they hadn't known existed.
    Information will quickly become more available since articles and books will be writ-
    ten about the series. It will be possible to put together a complete set from circu-
    lation so many procrastinators will attempt sets.

I'm guessing there will be a run up in anticipation of the end of the series and then
    blowoff that will encompass most of the coins. This should be followed by the better
    and higher grade coins rising right back up to new highs. It's unlikely there will be
    more than a few million people collecting these in ten years but if they demand the
    silver issues then prices will rise and the rise could be substantial.

Talk to these people when you get a chance. It can give you some insight into what
    they'll be doing later.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So cladking:

Are you saying that I should hang onto my raw 1999 silver sets? I had planned to keep them for my retirement in 15 years.

Still a go? (not the retirement but keeping the sets)

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

<< <i>So cladking:

Are you saying that I should hang onto my raw 1999 silver sets? I had planned to keep them for my retirement in 15 years.

Still a go? (not the retirement but keeping the sets) >>

Don't ask me. image

Ask the kids and young adults who are collecting these now if they'll still be interested in the future.

My best guess is the cheaper silver sets will enjoy a larger percentage gain but the '99 is different in
    that it probably has a little higher attrition. It might also be a good idea to wait to buy at the blow-out
    if your only interest is monetary.

Time will bound and leap right by these years and then we'll know.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The prices will probably stagnate, possibly for many years. They will quickly become yesterday's hot item.

The Presidential Dollar sets will become the new hot item.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭
    Why do you think there will be no more silver sets after 2008?

WH
  • Options
    There probably will be more silver sets after 2008 but there will be no more statehood quarters in the sets. Just curious as to what other collecters think about what will happen to the price of the sets as they are going for $750 on eBay.
  • Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    I just sold two sets to a Mom and Pop coin shop for $900.00 each. They didnt even balk at the price.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I think that the good sets will stay good and the weak sets will stay weak.....

My thinking is that the silver sets in original packaging will be a long term winner.....

If and when proof sets get popular I think all of them could be winners.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    I finally decided to sell my silver proof sets as my coin collecting is shifting away from modern coins. I believe the market is going to be flooded with the complete sets as the only key dates are 1999 and 2001 due to mintage. Your opinion?
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting rid of my remaining sets for two reasons: first, I have a profit that I can realize with the sale; and second, I have no interest in these coins any longer.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The State Quarter program is now on the decline and nearing its end. The interest is shifting to the Prez dollars. The hoopla has moved on.

I do not see the 1999 making is large gains any longer; those who want those sets now have them for the most part. The new time collectors that have been brought into the hobby with the quarters are now older, have learned more, and will be moving on to other series if they are still in the hobby.

I suspect the 1999 will begin a slow decline in price (but will remain the key set for some time). The sets with the silver quarters will tend to move towards each other.... the 1999 will move down in price, but eventually the cheap ones may move up a little more as time goes by.

Just my opinion only!
    ----- kj
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just sold two sets to a Mom and Pop coin shop for $900.00 each. They didnt even balk at the price. >>

if someone wants my 1999-2006 sets for 900 delivered, please PM ME image Ill throw in the mint box.
  • Options
    Funny timing for this post. I happened to be tracking an ebay auction for a set now that is up to $785. I'm hoping to pick up a nice 09-S VDB at Santa Clara so mine is going on ebay this afternoon.
  • Options

<< <i>I finally decided to sell my silver proof sets as my coin collecting is shifting away from modern coins. I believe the market is going to be flooded with the complete sets as the only key dates are 1999 and 2001 due to mintage. Your opinion? >>

I don't believe the '99 and '01 are really "key dates". There's not that great a difference
    in mintage. In the long run there probably will be less difference in price.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just picked up 4 2000 silver proof sets for $25 each, tough to even give them away.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    For the same reasons that people think they will go down in price because of disinterest is precisely why the opposite takes place as history shows us.

When interest dies down, mintage numbers die down because these sets are made on a "by order" basis.
    When interest peaks, so do mintage numbers. 1999 was hot because interest was stymied for some reason or other. 2000 was flooded because people jumped on board after seeing less than a million proofs sold in the year of inception. You see, a lot of dealers wait on the numbers before loading up on inventory. It's a game of economics. Then, 2001 was hot, 2002 died down... it's a pattern folks.

Nobody knows what the "MASSES" will do. Well, I take that back... Advertisers know, Pros know, Insiders know... but the masses don't. We are led like cows into the slaughterhouse.

Keep in mind, those of you who read the boards may be part of the masses, but you get insider's information.

The game of coins is fun for those who have INSIDE information or those who are diligent in cherry picking, or bought a bag full of smoothies, or ???
    It's about COINS !

Each person's opinion is important whether it's wrong or right.
    Nobody gets out alive !

I don't like opening the eyes of the masses cuz I like cherry picking, but...
    DID YOU ALL KNOW that there is a 1999 Proof Cent where a business strike die was used on the reverse ? A "CLOSE AM" is the resulting coin. And just to create MASS hysteria, check out the price on a 1998 Proof cent with the "CLOSE AM".

Watch the prices of the 1998 Proof Sets shoot up now. Why ? Because knowledge is earning power. People will rush out and search for CLOSE AM cents now. It's the way it is. I'll stick with my original post.
    History repeats itself !

UP !
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Nobody knows what the "MASSES" will do. Well, I take that back... Advertisers know, Pros know, Insiders know... but the masses don't. We are led like cows into the slaughterhouse.>>

Excellent point, the slaughter house being the Mint, right?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

<< <i><<Nobody knows what the "MASSES" will do. Well, I take that back... Advertisers know, Pros know, Insiders know... but the masses don't. We are led like cows into the slaughterhouse.>>

Excellent point, the slaughter house being the Mint, right? >>

Amen (it's Sunday image)
  • Options
    Funny. I have film canisters full of 1999-2001 SHQ's. At least $10 of each state. Then, all of a sudden, I became interested in other coins and that's when my "hoard" stops. As well, my mom and dad ran a vending route until 2001 and my source for quarters was gone. I only ever use my credit card for purchases and never see a SHQ or any quarters.

That said, I don't know if I am typical, but I think that many people probably got tired of the SHQ's and stopped collecting them en masse at some point in the series existence.

I think the prices will go up because people will realize they are missing certain states and whole years and will want to complete their collections. However, I'm usually wrong about these things. I plan on keeping my mint sets and after seeing what happens to the single coins I will turn my hoard in to the local bank. I probably have $200 in those coins that could go to a really nice coin.

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • Options

<< <i>I just sold two sets to a Mom and Pop coin shop for $900.00 each. They didnt even balk at the price. >>

Two sets of which year? 1999 is going for about $350 tops on eBay. Do you mean all years inclusive?

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • Options
    Oh Oh, I and my grandson have a complete set SHQ ms67 business strikes up to Montana...I better sell now.
    Connecting a Windows PC to the Internet is like dressing in hundred-dollar bills and taking a walk in a bad neighborhood.
  • Options
    Where does a person find a price list for the modern stuff that is close to real??
    Thanks
    Kip
    UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
  • Options

<< <i>Where does a person find a price list for the modern stuff that is close to real??
    Thanks
    Kip >>

The completed auctions on Ebay will get you in the ballpark.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Where does a person find a price list for the modern stuff that is close to real??
    Thanks
    Kip >>

The completed auctions on Ebay will get you in the ballpark. >>

Thanks, I had forgot about that. Appreciate it
    Kip
  • Options
    I got rid of all my sets of 1999 to 2006 Silver Proof, Clad and Quarters. I wanted to beat the rush to get rid of them.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I got rid of mine last year and invested in anniversary sets. I had 5 complete sets of silver and clad and now have 19 complete anniversary sets instead.
  • Options
    OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561
    Since the 1999 SQ silver set is selling at about the same price as the 20th Anniversary ASE set, I wonder how many people would be willing to trade their 20th ASE set for the 1999 silver SQ set. I suspect that their would be no one willing to do this deal....

imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Thats for sure!
  • Options
    I did take a very tidy profit on the sale of my silver proof set complete with original US Mint collector box. I believe that the 2007 and 2008 silver proof sets are going to have very high mintages...but what do I really know? If it was not for the mint storing the 1999 proof sets improperly they also would have a very high mintage as they destroyed alot of 1999, 2000, and 2001 silver proof sets. Then the price would be closer to the issue price. Just my humble opinion.
  • Options
    Having all the slabbed silver sets through 2007 and all business strikes in MS67 to Montana. I think my grandson and I will dump them and look for something else that might have value when he grows older.
    Its been fun with him but we see the writing on the wall and now may be a good time to exit. With only a year left it seems a shame but on to better things I guess. The value of us spending time together is worth more than can ever be calculated.
    Ronn
    Connecting a Windows PC to the Internet is like dressing in hundred-dollar bills and taking a walk in a bad neighborhood.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm getting rid of my remaining sets for two reasons: first, I have a profit that I can realize with the sale; and second, I have no interest in these coins any longer. >>

same here, only mine are already gone........$750+
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image
  • Options

<< <i>Having all the slabbed silver sets through 2007 and all business strikes in MS67 to Montana. I think my grandson and I will dump them and look for something else that might have value when he grows older.
    Its been fun with him but we see the writing on the wall and now may be a good time to exit. With only a year left it seems a shame but on to better things I guess. The value of us spending time together is worth more than can ever be calculated.
    Ronn >>

With only a year left, I wonder if thats a good idea to exit??
  • Options
    You should have had the 1999's graded..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Maybe I should have had them graded but my silver set went for $800+. I also sold my premier silver set and it went for $350+. I am going to some older coins as moderns do not interest me as much anymore. Just have not decided what to collect but I have my eye on a few things! LOL!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file