Home U.S. Coin Forum

***Official Coin Post Thread...with a twist***

ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
I've wanted to start a thread like this for awhile, but always forgot. But here it is.

Almost every coin post I have seen, is simply a posting of coins (which is fine) but people are often so busy posting their coins, they forgete about those previously posted.

So heres the twist. Post a favorite, post a new buy, post an ugly coin it doesn't matter. Though you MUST comment on the coin posted RIGHT before you. Any comment will do (pref. a nice comment, but feel free to throw out your honest opinion). Comment on eye appeal, grade, look, picture, slab, anything!

Just would be a nice way for people to post, and recieve feedback

I wont start with a picture, but Ill chime in right after if someone wants to step up and post the first...

Comments

• Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    Ok, I'll start.

Good luster on your icon coin.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    Ha nice start. Love the clips (assuming they are, Im not great with errors) A common circulated coin, but with a neat history and proof of a fine governmental error.

Edited to let Hyp take it image
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok, I'll start.

Good luster on your icon coin.

image >>

Im going to ask, is that really worth a quarter ? or is it worth 7/9ths of a quarter ? (I dont have a calculator so In the spirit of University, Im going to say the rest is left for the student as an excercise!)

Love the cook island issues Hyp. Not only an...interesting coin, but a neat conversation piece. Looks like it has nice fields and a great one-eyed appeal (pa pa chish)

• LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    Ddbird, I think your quarter eagle is cool in that it has a provenance associated with it. image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    This was listed as 1838 Washington Birthday restrike but is actually an 1858 restrike. The 38s were struck out of white medal. This 1858 restrike will soon be going in to be graded. There was another restrike sometime around 1888 which have a die crack running full length on the reverse.

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • 66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    ddbird, I like the spirit of this thread, I happen to agree with you that all too often we're just throwing pics up with no other input.

Leiana, your buffalo nickel certainly could tell some stories, looks like it was used as intended for quite a while. Looks like no offensive marks, just honest wear and evidence of a clash below the chin and the reverse up by EPU. I bet you like the history behind it!

DUIGUY, is that edible? Sure looks like it. Neat story about the three different versions of this medal. Any idea of the relative rarity between the three?

Here's a new coin I bought recently:

imageimage
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    66RB: I'm poor in my knowledge of error coins, but that quarter looks to be struck about 15-20% off center at 7:00 or so? Am I even close? Very cool find!

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

• << <i>Ddbird, I think your quarter eagle is cool in that it has a provenance associated with it. image

-Amanda >>

Amanda,

Pardon my ingnorance, but what is that "F" just below the date? It doesn't look like it is part of the coin, but I can't figure out what it is doing there on the image.

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • That is a very nice Morgan anableb. It looks to be nice album toning. I like the subtle coloring a lot.

<< <i>That is a very nice Morgan anableb. It looks to be nice album toning. I like the subtle coloring a lot.

image >>

Love the toning on that dime! Very subtle but enough to make the coin have a certain "pop". Overall, the coin has great eye appeal

<< <i>Amanda,

Pardon my ingnorance, but what is that "F" just below the date? It doesn't look like it is part of the coin, but I can't figure out what it is doing there on the image.

Jonathan >>

Jonathan, that is the designer's inititial, F for James Earle Fraser. It should be present on all Buffalo Nickels. However, there are some cool varieties where this has been clashed or polished off the die. image

Ddbird, I really like the deep toning on that half cent. image

-Amanda

Amanda, I love the circulated look of the early coins. Yours shows some great character and would have a neat story to tell if it could talk, but there is still enough detail to enjoy the coin and its look. Your pictures are improving as well!

• One of the few 1953-D Washingtons with brilliant toning.

imageimage
    image Scottish Fold Gold
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Killer colors, KoinDawg! image

• From the Darkside!

To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Silvereagles92,

There's a Barber with some character. I always like the O mm coins too.

• FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Very unusual toning for a Peace Dollar.

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FatMan- Beautiful Commemorative half with nice luster.

Heres a new IHC for my collection.

• LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    COPPER-NICKEL, WITH SHIELD ON REVERSE (1860-1864), four year Type Coin. Mintage of 49,840,000.

Very nice 1863 IHC that looks to have some woodgrain toning going on.image I don't see very many abrasions or carbon to warrant the grade?

• 66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    Leeg, that's a **57 coin, you collect them! looks like some subtle color going on there with some not so subtle clash marks.. I took a look through your set that you have linked, some nice stuff there! Your 39-P Lincoln made me think of mine!

imageimage

<< <i>Very nice 1863 IHC that looks to have some woodgrain toning going on. I don't see very many abrasions or carbon to warrant the grade? >>

Thanks Lee! I also think it's PQ for the grade because it looks like an MS63 with nice luster. It has semi-PL surfaces in person and the woodgrain toning makes it even better. Probably the spots limit the grade.

Heres some bigger pics:

66RB, not normally a fan of lincoln cents but that was is awsome! I love the subtle color and the killer strike...

Jp, nice civil war issue coin!

• FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Indian Eagles are some of the toughest coins to grade. That looks nice for AU.

<< <i>Indian Eagles are some of the toughest coins to grade. That looks nice for AU.

image >>

Perfect! Rare issue, Rare Date, Rare Mint mark, and a sweet slightly circulated look. History and eye appeal rolled into one. GORGEOUS coin FatMan!

This ones a PCGSAU58...somewhat baggy, but has really nice rose coloration.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coloring on the 1896 $20. Here's a stereo picture of a 1911 PCGS 65 $10 Indian. Cross your eyes until you get the "middle" image to line up and be in focus. Some people can do it, some can't
  • Cool stereo imaging, and I did get the middle one in focus, I could almost reach out and touch it. . .

Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    IMO, one of the ugliest designs ever made, this one is in PCGS MS68 plastic

Jdsinva: Great looking half cent. Nice detail, with some nice color. Whats it grade AU58ish? I dont really have any idea, just guessin.

Prooflike: Your right, its pretty ugly, but still impressive in high grade...

Heres my "snot" morgan
    Snot Morgan, that's kinda gross, yet kinda funny at the same time.

imageimage

-Amanda

• Yes, the half cent is an AU, although I forget the grade. I cracked it out of the slab for a type set.

Now, I do love the cameo frost on that Morgan!
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
    The morgan is nice. Should easily go 64 shot 65 PL. Its completely mark free. If the yellow toning were not present I think it would be one gorgeous coin.

Amanda: Your coins have a very sweet look to them. All appear very original and very pleasing to the eye. You have nice taste!

This is my oldest, given to be in a giveaway here a few years back...

Thanks, Ddbird!

That's a really cool New Jersey piece! Nice circulation wear and a good color. image

Here's one I like!

-Amanda

• jdsinvajdsinva Posts: 1,508
    You all young-uns surprise me with the material you have in your collection, I'm going to show my ignorance and ask if that is a token?

Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
    Yes, it is a token, a Hard Times token. They are discussed near the back of the Redbook!

That's a really nice looking two cent piece. image MS?

This is also a token! But this one is a Civil War Token. image

-Amanda

• I like that Civil war token. Very cool!

• I'm not much of a washington quarter fan but that 34-D has amazing luster!

EDITED to add: The above coin is not an error but a coin that was in an encased "good luck" token and when the token was pressed, it was off center in it's press and some of the token design was pressed onto the Indian.

• Thats a very sweet looking error coin. Post mint or not very cool!

<< <i>Thats a very sweet looking error coin. Post mint or not very cool!

image >>

Oooohhh starting to see a little gold poke through. Killer luster on that one as well.

This coin is my hardest to picture for some reason..still have not gotten it right. Its got way more luster in person, and a nice rose color...but here goes.

• Very nice looking bust half. A bit darker and it would be perfect image

Luster you say??

• LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    1941 Washington Quarter:
    90% SILVER PLANCHETS/10% COPPER (1946-1964), mintage of 79,032,000. Finest known are 31 graded MS67 at PCGS. Nice example Bruce with lustre and just a hint of color on the reverse. Looks to be a 66?

• Sweet Half Cent Lee! 1806 is usally not one seen as often. Yes the grade I have on the coin is MS66.

Bruceswar, nice white WWII date quarter. That one looks like a MS66 too!

Here is a so-called Civil War dog tag designed by Robert Lovett. It's a 1917 restrike by Thomas Elder.

John, that is really really cool! Even though it's a restrike, it still is a piece of Civil War history!!

I like this buffalo. image

-Amanda

Amanda, great 1913-D Type 1 Buffalo 5c. Looks like it has a small amount of wear that keeps it at an AU grade but it's still has nice details!

Heres some information I found on the restrike when doing some research a couple of months ago.

" LOT OF ELDER’S WASHINGTON DOG TAG TOKENS, 1917. Baker 621, but unlisted metals; DeLorey 102. 32mm. Bronze, Brass, Silver Bronze & Aluminum. Robert Lovett, Jr., Sc. Obv: GEORGE WASHINGTON SECURITY around bust of GW right. Reverse room for engraved NAME/ CO./ REGT. Lot of 4 pieces. All lightly tarnished Uncs.

Because the obverse die is signed by the well-known Civil War era die sinker, Robert Lovett, Jr., this piece is often confused as a Civil War dog tag. It is not! Elder obtained the Lovett die, had a new reverse made, and first struck the piece in 1917. Examples were struck in Sterling Silver; German Silver; Silver-plated Bronze; Bronze; Brass and Aluminum. We have never seen a piece in any metal with engraving on it. ((D-E)"

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Buff - initials should have been "FF".

Did the original "tags" come with a mount of some sort??

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
    Neat pattern, J-207a? The patterns of 1858 are very interesting. image

John, this token was cut by Lovett and closely matches his Confederate Cent design. The Fuld numbers are (I think) 10/298.

-Amanda

• John,

That's a really nice IHC. image

Here's an 1885-O Morgan from my collection:

If you haven't noticed, I'm single and miserable and I've got four albums of bitching about it that I would offer as proof.

-- Adam Duritz, of Counting Crows

My Ebay Auctions
  • calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice louisiana creation... I offer california in the next post
    Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file