Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Edit -- Bedford, NH Show Report -- and check out my new NT (!!!) rainbow Peace dollar!

mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
I don't mean to start an argument. But I bought this neat coin for 15 bucks today, and I feel like showing it off.

OK, so I drove 3 hours down to Bedford, NH today and got to the show a little before noon. I perceived collector / retail traffic to be very light compared to the last time I attended this show two years ago. The beautiful weather and peak foliage season to the north may have had something to do with this, but who knows.

Overall, I found dealers quite ready to negotiate both in buying and selling although I wasn't doing anything particularly pricey in either direction. I FOUND REALLY NICE COINS VERY HARD TO COME BY. Cheap coins could be had, as could expensive ones, but coins that really fired my imagination were quite scarce.

A guy from Maine had an un-frickin-believable raw Chain cent in -- I don't know, 58? 63? -- with monstrously lovely surfaces, just about the most drop-dead gorgeous tent-in-pants US coin I have ever looked at. I did not ask how much he wanted for it.

A friendly guy named Vinny showed me a neat raw Hawaiian commem that had walked in. It was very colorful and had a sort of a textile pattern on the reverse. I don't know if it would slab, but it sure looked nice. He also had a very attractive color-toned Cincinnati that I liked very much, but it had a scratch from a staple or something -- making what would otherwise have been a 66-ish coin a 64 -- that I knew I would never, ever be happy with.

So, what did I get?

1. A Whitman slide album of Washington clad quarters for a few bucks over face, from which I have pulled near-gem 1966, 69-D, and 84-P coins as well as a lovely 72-P in 63, 82-P in 55, 82-D in 50, and an ass-kicking 83-P in 58+++ that looks like a 64 all day long.

2. One of those plastic year-set thingies in a little plastic case with the reactive felt card, out of which came the dreamy Peace dollar as well as very nicely toned and spankingly lustrous 1964 dime, quarter, and half.

3. A couple of appealing counterfeits, one a 1652 Massachusetts pine tree shilling and the other a holed / plugged Continental dollar.

4. A handsomely toned, Gem 1941-D Jefferson with six full steps, and a blue 1950(P) Jeff in Ch. BU

5. I swapped a nice AU Pilgrim straight across for an 1803 Draped Bust cent in Good. I may have gotten the short end of this deal, but I felt the cent had nicer surfaces than anything else I had seen in the same price range. For what it is, it is pretty OK.

6. A beautiful color-toned 1912 Lib nickel in an old NGC 63 fattie

7. Two cool one-ounce silver rounds. I don't usually buy this kind of thing, but I found a Draped Bust dollar knockoff and a Gobrecht knockoff, neither of which was as corny looking as these things usually seem to be. They are very pretty.

Not a big spendy day, but I added some interesting things to my collections. It will be another year or two before I get to go again.
mirabela

Comments

• Options
    uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    What a wonderful coin for a great price! congrats! image

Doug
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Excellent. And you really stole it at that price too.
  • Options
    Pretty! image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking Peace.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    I like it!image
  • Options
    ttt, now with show report
    mirabela
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    I was at the show today and will be there Sunday..................I think I found a 1900-o morgan vam 29a .......it looks ms and not cleaned slight album toning............it was a nice day!
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

I bout about 12 coins today -- all raw image

I bought a 3 piece Morgan dollar set, which were all stored in the same envelope. REAL nice color, and they all look the same. Kind of neat.

Then, I picked up an incredibly toned Peace $1. The obverse is nice, but the reverse toning is the nicest NT toning I've had the pleasure of seeing on a Peace dollar (in hand, anyway). Common date (1923) 64+ coin, but the reverse color is just terrific.

Picked up an 1877 and 1880 IHC for my son's book -- F15 and XF40 respectively.

Picked up about 6, or so, Buffalo nickels for my daughter's book, etc.

What a great day of buying image

• Options
    Here's a quick pic of the Peace dollar. I didn't do a very good job with the image, but did want to shoot a real quick pic. The reverse is where it's at, and why I bought this coin. It is a PERFECT fit for my colorful $1 book.

• Options
    Very nice!
    mirabela
  • Options
    Here's 1 of the 3 Morgans image

• Options
    WHAT?? You bought a real? plugged Continental Dollar but you posted a 1922 Peace Dollar?
    I'm confused---
    morgannut2
  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    hi mirabela, that was one awsesome peace dollar, i was the one sitting down at franks coins table when you showed the coin. sorry i didnt introduce myself. again thats a great peace dollar!image
    ed rodrigues

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file