Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I really like this design! (Big Pics)

Since I can't afford a real Saint, this will have to do!

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    That ranks pretty high on the coolness scale, even without a weenie.
  • Options
    WOW! That is SO gorgeous!

I love Saint-Gauden's work. image

Thanks for sharing!

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options

The obverse looks like his 1893 World Columbian Exposition work. What is the history of this medal?
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    That is an outstanding image. Who shot it for you?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

The obverse looks like his 1893 World Columbian Exposition work. What is the history of this medal? >>

A commemorative medal honoring the renowned sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens, it was issued in 1961 by Toivo Johnson, contains 7 oz. of pure silver, and was designed by sculptor Robert Schnabel of the Metal Arts Co. The obverse replicates the one created by Saint-Gaudens for the official award medal of the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition. The reverse shows "Aspet," his studio-home in Cornish, New Hampshire, and, rising sun-like above it, the 1907 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle ($20 gold coin), widely acclaimed as the most beautiful of all U.S. coins. Struck both in bronze and (in limited edition) silver, it's from a series which featured a number of other U.S. coin designers, including Charles E. Barber, Victor D. Brenner, George T. Morgan, and Christian Gobrecht. The most recent sale price I can find for yours is $51, the winning bid in a July 1998 auction, but that's definitely too low. Today, it would retail for at least double that.
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    Marty that is very image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    " Since I can't afford a real Saint, this will have to do!"

That's because you spend all your money on grading fees.

P.S. Nice medal!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    I like that quite a bit.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin Marty but you are so-o-o-o full of baloney!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice coin Marty but you are so-o-o-o full of baloney! >>

??? Why?
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    Ah dammit! This thread just caused me to BIN this from Blue Moon Coins!
    I know its got to be a big mistake, but I just couldn't control myself!image

imageimage

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice coin Marty but you are so-o-o-o full of baloney! >>

??? Why? >>

Because we all know very well that you can afford a Saint...............................................

you can right? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image

The obverse looks like his 1893 World Columbian Exposition work. What is the history of this medal? >>

A commemorative medal honoring the renowned sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens, it was issued in 1961 by Toivo Johnson, contains 7 oz. of pure silver, and was designed by sculptor Robert Schnabel of the Metal Arts Co. The obverse replicates the one created by Saint-Gaudens for the official award medal of the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition. The reverse shows "Aspet," his studio-home in Cornish, New Hampshire, and, rising sun-like above it, the 1907 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle ($20 gold coin), widely acclaimed as the most beautiful of all U.S. coins. Struck both in bronze and (in limited edition) silver, it's from a series which featured a number of other U.S. coin designers, including Charles E. Barber, Victor D. Brenner, George T. Morgan, and Christian Gobrecht. The most recent sale price I can find for yours is $51, the winning bid in a July 1998 auction, but that's definitely too low. Today, it would retail for at least double that.
    image >>

Do you have any idea how many of these medals were minted?image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file