Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

2005 P&D MS-66FB Business Strike Dimes (date corrected!)

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum for this question.... (AND for my typo on the date in the original post!)

I'm trying to determine an approximate value for a set of PCGS graded MS-66FB business strike 2005 dimes (P & D)
(not 2006 as I'd originally posted).

The price guide doesn't list them yet, and I can't find anything on the Heritage auction archives.

Is there a strong interest in these coins at this grade, or are most folks looking for 67's and up?

Thanks!

(The posted reply listed populations higher than I had written down, and made me realize I'd put the wrong date!!!... should have been 2005, not 2006.)

I believe the current populations are 3/4 for the 2005-P and 3/1 for the 2005-D.

Sincerely,
Mark

Comments

• Options
    The pop for the D in 66fb is 14/7 and for the p in 66fb is 24/0.

The D mints on ebay that I tracked sold for: 45,77,23,40,57, and 6 dollars. I ended up buying mine for $30. So I gues the averge price is around $40ish (I actually thought it was lower than this until I just added it up). As far as the 67fb's they have an average price on ebay for the last 3 auctions of $103.67.

Now the P mints I have no idea. The pop is higher but they hasn't been a single 66fb on ebay that I have seen. The one 65fb that I saw on ebay sold for around $15. So I would put the price of the 66fb's at around $40-50ish. I would know more about these if any sold on ebay but that estimate for the P mints is only a guess.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The prices on these Business Strike coins are way off IMHO. They are much more difficult to comeby in BS vs. SF. I think you have a couple of winners, and they will only increase in value as the rolls deminish. There are no bags from the mint, only rolls for 2005-Date. Anything in this time frame will be a real steal if you get them cheap, and the 7FB will be the grade. Anyone that makes an 8FB will have a serious coin on their hands as there will be countless Roosie collectors that will want it. PCGS will no doubt succum (sp) to the heated debate regarding finding a rightful place for all 4 of these dimes each and every year. It will be imparritive to get these ASAP!

I will be "Hunting" for all of the 2005/06 P/D Business strike coins and will continue to look for them in rolls until I have all 7FB/8FB dimes. I already have all of the SF dimes...go figure. I'm currently looking through dozens of rolls this week and Dan50 is currently doing the same. The time has come to make your own coins, as no one will be doing this for you.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    I'll share the pops as I know them for the 05-06 FB's.
    2005-P 66FB/3 67FB/4
    2005-D 66FB/3 67FB/1
    2006-P N/A -- N/A
    2006-D N/A -- 67FB/7
    I don't know about the 06-P's, as I've not sent mine in as yet.
    I also have no info on 06-D's, other than the 67FB.
    Dan
  • Options
    Dan, the 06 pops are:

P 66fb 24/1
    D 66fb 14/7

the coin numbers are 85213 and 85214 respectively.
  • Options
    I don't think the 66fb BS dime from either year will be hard to make, but most people
    will not make them due to the cost factor , and there is no real home in the registry
    for them at this time. I still have 06d 66fb BS dimes and made 3 of the 67fb BS dimes
    but for now I am not sending anything in due to cost and returns, as paul said a 68fb BS dime
    would be the one to make, but until PCGS gives them a home there value is low on resale
    jmho
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    Thanks Zach, I missed that part in your first post. Eyes are tired from looking through rolls of dimes I guess. I'm going through a box of 06-P's, and not finding anything worth keeping. Guess I'm going to have to find another box since most of these have stamped through grease spots on them. Odd that the first couple rolls were nice, then the grease spots showed up and its been crap ever since.
    Paul I hope your search is going better than mine. It may turn out that the 06-P will be scarce in 67/68 grades. A couple more boxs should tell the tale.

Anyone with an unopened box of 05/06 P/D dimes, and wants to sell them, PM me.
    Thanks.. Dan.
    Dan
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan60,

I actually havn't had the chance to get to the box of '06-D's I have because I am going through the other rolls I still have. The '06-P's I have are actually nice, but nothing I would grade 68FB. I will compare the dimes I set aside to other 68FB's I own and weed them out. sometimes they get nicer with each and every dime you look at even though they are not. Its my eyes deceiving me! image

I found 4 dimes with an identiacl "cud" spot on the back of Roosevelts head. very cool!

The HUNT continues, and will be done this w/e for sure. Then i will have to buy more rolls. Still have 2 '06-P's coming.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think the 66fb BS dime from either year will be hard to make, but most people >>

<< <i>will not make them due to the cost factor , and there is no real home in the registry >>

<< <i>for them at this time. I still have 06d 66fb BS dimes and made 3 of the 67fb BS dimes >>

<< <i>but for now I am not sending anything in due to cost and returns, as paul said a 68fb BS dime >>

<< <i>would be the one to make, but until PCGS gives them a home there value is low on resale. >>

Tim you are exactly right with your statement, and I think it's a shame PCGS has let this mess get to this point.
    Dan
  • Options
    I made the majority of the 06's for both mint marks in 66FB and 7FB. I did not make the 06-P in 67FB but did make 4 in 67FB for the D. Tough in 68 FB if not impossible. The boxes are hard to come by.
  • Options

<< <i>I made the majority of the 06's for both mint marks in 66FB and 7FB. I did not make the 06-P in 67FB but did make 4 in 67FB for the D. Tough in 68 FB if not impossible. The boxes are hard to come by. >>

I only sent in 1 06-D for the 67 FB in my set, I'll probably send in a few more along with my 05-D's, and any 06-P's that are worth subbing from the box I'm working now.
    After that I'm going to try to make a nice 98-D FB for my set. Since I'm not having much luck finding one for sale. Will also be trying to find/make a nice 1969-D FB, 1975 FB, and a 1983-D that I need. This should keep me busy untill the 07's come out. Oh, I also have a couple 1971's that I want to see graded. They are not FB, but I can use a 67 for an upgrade unill I can find a FB. That will leave only the 82-no P as the only one keeping me from 100%. Thats a coin you just have to wait to show up somewhere for sale. Maybe a 66/67 in FB will come out of hiding in the next year or two. image
    Dan