Home Sports Talk
Options

Frank Thomas is having a great year for a 38 year old "has been"

who was supposedly through.

363 AB
28 HR
78 RBI

Not bad. He is sure to get 500 career Homers now.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to watch him try to run out a base hit. Hurts me watching the man!
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    I checked his stats the other day

95 hits
    59 singles
    28 HR's
    only 8 2B's

He's either hitting a base hit to the outfield or hitting it over the fence. Still having a good year though, considering he's got no feet. On pace for 35+ hr's and 100 RBI.
    Travis
  • Options
    I've always been a huge fan of the Big Hurt. Had he not be misdiagnosed a few years back with the broken foot he would've already broken 500. One of the, if not the most feared hitter of the 90's. I'm glad that he's found a spot with a team that utilizes what he still has; as well as a team that's in the playoff hunt.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Good for " The Big Hurt." I haven't heard Kenny Williams say anything bad about him lately.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Please post a list of all the folks who said he was through? He was released because the Sox felt that he wasn't needed, not washed up. Hello they won a World Series without him. Like a lot of highly paid athletes he had good points and bad ones. They actually did him a favor by restructuring his contract the last time so they could keep him. They went another direction, witness the trade of Carlos Lee for Pods. Don't tell me you would rather have Frank on your team then Carlos. They also refused to pay Mags, doesn't mean they felt he was washed up. Again they won the world series without any of those 3.

I wish Frank continued success and hope he gets even better if his health allows it. He provided ChiSox fans with a lot of fond memories and also memories of his childish behaviors, which I hope he has jettisoned.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I for one thought he was a "has been" I was wrong. I wished I grabbed him during my fantasy baseball league at times....image
  • Options
    Used to love to see the guy come to Fenway back in the 90's...
    Saw him play in July, in Oakland, against the Red Sox....brought back memories....

He had a good series that week...and has been having and even better one this week!!

Man, remember when the 90 Leaf RC was $120+....
  • Options
    Stat-Yep, I remember buying up his Topps rookies b/c the Leafs were out of my $range...Happens to all modern players.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was about 3 feet away from him in November of '92 when I was in Chicago. VERY BIG MAN, he was shopping with some LITTLE Woman......she was UNBELIEVABLE!
  • Options
    he was shopping with some LITTLE Woman......she was UNBELIEVABLE

similar situation...back in 93 while doing a show...we saw this INCREDIBLE little latin hottie....I mean if there was a 12..she was it..forget a 10!!

she was going from table to table and when she got over to ours...she was even better...and the smell...YUM....Versace White Jeans perfume....ggrrrooowllllll..bring out the beast in any guy!!

So my dumb### buddy decides to hit on her and start flirtering her with bs...she politely avoided him and when she left we shared a laugh.

That was until the singing..Juan Gonzalez was the guest. When we went up to get our dealer auto's....there was Juan and his "12" WIFE..arm in arm....lol

Woops...gotta watch those things...we still laugh about it to this day!!
  • Options
    Wow, I haven't been keeping tabs on ole Frank.

38 HR, 105 RBI, .280 BA, .390 OBP.

MVP of this never die Oakland team and a Hall of Famer for sure.
  • Options
    Too bad for his injuries. He has been and is a great player.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He got revenge on the White Sox last weekend!! image
  • Options
    I had to go look at his stats on ESPN, because the last time I checked, I thought he was hitting .230. Wow!!! Thomas has been on an incredible run these past few months. If you pull up his season game log, all you see is his batting average going up. Amazing that he still has it.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, I haven't been keeping tabs on ole Frank.

38 HR, 105 RBI, .280 BA, .390 OBP.

MVP of this never die Oakland team and a Hall of Famer for sure. >>

Not to mention Comeback Player of the Year for the AL. If he doesn't win that, it's criminal unless there's someone I've forgotten to consider.

He was available all year in my fantasy league, but as I have Ryan Howard, Jim Thome and Todd Helton I had little use for him.
  • Options
    Good stick, solid citizen for the AL. Can't play everyday....gets injured or is a detriment in the field. DH role is perfect. Will put up good career offensive numbers. Should he be in the HOF?
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    Is Thomas signed for next year?
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is Thomas signed for next year? >>

No, it was a one-year deal.

It remains to be seen whether Oakland can re-sign him (they signed him at $500K base plus incentives), and it remains to be seen how long a new contract he will expect.

Still, he's a perfect fit for Oakland's philosophy -- OBP and a lot of power.
  • Options
    it the juice or clear or jiz or tang or whatever they call it now.image