Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Things I don't like and am finding harder to tolerate any longer

telling me it's 'keenly struck' when the strike is poor.

telling me it's in an old green holder. I don't want to know, I don't care to know. Leave me out of it please.

telling me it should grade higher, but upon inspection...actual inspection, the coin just made the grade, and my opinion certainly doesn't matter to them, especially if it's contrary to their erroneous assumption.

telling me the surfaces are clean when there are hairlines.

taking advantage of the fact that I'm a nice guy.

not appreciating my honesty, loyalty, gratitude, trust and respect.

not really caring about my collection.

not recognizing how much money I'm spending and how significant that spending money really is.

'Who me?'

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't deal with those guys any longer and my enjoyment has increased immeasurably!
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    image But-all the things you mentioned are unfortunately part of the way people do business nowadays. The name of the game is too often "lie-cheat-steal". And then, they brag about it. image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Please clarify. Are you discribing a coin dealer, used car dealer, new car dealer, vacuum cleaner saleman, lady's shoe saleman or someone that is all of the above?
    Carl
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    wow my list is so similar

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    ram1946ram1946 Posts: 762 ✭✭
    I agree with all you said, especially the part about the upgrade potential. I've taken to writing the seller of a coin who advertises it "ought to be" something higher than the stated grade and asking for a 30-45 day return privliege if it doesn't upgrade as advertised. I also ask why they would sell a coin for one-fifth, one-third, one-half, etc of the value at the next higher level. Why don't they just spend $30 and 30 days, get the upgrade and increase their profit margin immeasurably. Guess how many responses I've received? That's right, none.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Mike, try other dealers - I bet you already know they really aren't all like that.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the purpose of this thread?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>What's the purpose of this thread? >>

I don't think you're seriously asking that.

I'm a collector, not a dealer and not a dealer/collector.

I had something to say and I said it, and I think the responses have been totally appropriate.

When you're a collector and reliant on dealers, you're vulnerable to being harmed by the dealer.

The more you know and learn, the more self-reliant you can become and STILL be vulnerable and STILL what I posted above applies.

Mark knows, that I know, the good dealers that are out there, and his advice is excellent advice. As a collector, I feel obligated to share not just my feelings, but my experiences, as I've done above. And as you can see, I'm not the only one who has those feelings or experiences.

• Options
    I don't think you're seriously asking that.

I was.

I'm a collector, not a dealer and not a dealer/collector.

I had something to say and I said it, and I think the responses have been totally appropriate.

When you're a collector and reliant on dealers, you're vulnerable to being harmed by the dealer.

The more you know and learn, the more self-reliant you can become and STILL be vulnerable and STILL what I posted above applies.

Mark knows, that I know, the good dealers that are out there, and his advice is excellent advice. As a collector, I feel obligated to share not just my feelings, but my experiences, as I've done above. And as you can see, I'm not the only one who has those feelings or experiences.

So it's like group therapy?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

That's nothing. The things I don't like and am finding harder to tolerate is much, much longer.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    The things I don't like and am finding harder to tolerate is much, much longer.

Let's hear your list too. Maybe mr eureka will be insulting to you too!
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does "Caveat Emptor" translate as "Beware of the Seller"?
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I'm fairly lucky that I live in a small town with only one dealer. They can't afford to really torque off customers. Most of the staff there is really good but there's one person that just rubs me the wrong way.

L
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ram1946ram1946 Posts: 762 ✭✭

<< <i>Does "Caveat Emptor" translate as "Beware of the Seller"? >>

Yes, buyer beware certainly applies. And I think that most people who contribute, read or just lurk on this forum understand that principle and buy accordingly. What upsets me is the unbelievable amount of deceit, misleading comments, and promises of riches that fill the pages of many numimatic publications, Ebay and other coin venues. The unsuspecting and/or novice, for lack of better understanding, relies on these representations. When the day of reckoning comes our hobby gets another black eye, another collector is discouraged and we all suffer for it.
  • Options
    I apologize for my insensitive comments above. I know this hobby can be difficult at times and venting can be useful in dealing with the stress.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What's the purpose of this thread? >>

Andy, if I could liken this to roofing....

We tell our customers that it is very wise to have a system called a "continuous ridge vent".
    This system allows the flow of air throughout the entire structure and helps eliminate hot air that might build up along with humidity... this could cause MOLDING issues and really create problems inside the structure.

So , one can never add enough VENTING image...

Is that scientific enough for ya ?

group therapy image
  • Options
    KaelasdadKaelasdad Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭
    You make some valid points, but then like english, there are exceptions to the rules. I have purchased coins from guys who said it was undergraded, and it was (but i looked first and made up my own mind). I have seen trash in OGHs, and then I have seen some coins that make me think the grader was blind or drunk or drunk blind when his shift began. And you already know who to talk to and deal with when it comes to ethics.

So--keep those lines of communication open, use your eyes, and follow with the decision you can live with.

Russ
  • Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭
    nice list....

your next hunt should be for some fresh blood to work with you and move the guys that generated this list to the back burner.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The name of the game is too often "lie-cheat-steal". And then, they brag about it.

Ironically, this was the very name of a coin firm in the mid-to-later
    1980's. And they were above board to my knowlege. They advertised in Coin World to boot. The name didn't last and they broke up in fairly short period of time.

L-C-S consisted of Rob Weiner, Tom Culhane, and the 3rd guy I forgot. Anyone fill in the blank_______?

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    I'll probably get flamed big time for this, so be it. Mike made valid points. Anyone care to debate it I will gladly accept the challenge.
    Dealers make their living from collectors, period.
    Some realize this and some do not.
    The dealers who do well not only protect their reputation, but strive to make the hobby what it ought be. Unfortunately there are dealers and collectors who try to manipulate the hobby.
    Thanks to this forum, the internet, and books the knowledgable collector has the tools to discern a reputable dealer/collector from the common scam artist.
    Yes, we still have some scam artist playing the game. MHO, it is improving. We need to be proactive, dealers/collectors.
    This is just my opinion. It's mine but I do try to keep an open mind. jws
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    then deal with mark feld as much as you can
    and make life easier on yourself and get great! coins
  • Options
    L-C-S consisted of Rob Weiner, Tom Culhane, and the 3rd guy I forgot. Anyone fill in the blank_______?

I don't remember Tom being part of that gang. Maybe he was. But Bruce Longyear was definitely one of the three.

And BTW, it was the very early 80's. I remember because LCS took a table at the Playboy Club show that LJK and I ran in 80/81. Yes, the Playboy Club! Now that was a show!
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember L-C-S from the late 70s consisting of Wilson Lee, Rob Weiner, and Henry. Rob is still around and is a fine fellow, imo. Can't remember Henry's last name, though.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I got a chuckle at seeing Tom Culhane was once with a firm called "Lie-Cheat-Steal". The name of the shop he has now is my favorite of all time - The Elusive Spondulix.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file