Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS and Ron Guth. Honestly, is this an acceptable turnover time to have some coins photographed?

coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
First of all, the only reason why I am posting this here, is because customer service representatives seem not to care or be able to do anything.

**I sent in five coins on May 30th from Hawaii via the reholder/photo service. Two coins are customers coins that are on consignment.

**The coins arrived from the post office on June 4th. Coins were entered into the system on June 7th.

**On July 6th, I wrote Phil Arnold, (IMO the only person that gives a rats butt about customer satisfaction at PCGS. He found the coins and photographed them).

**Today is July 14th. I call customer service, the person on the phone sounded like he was stoned, and he said all he could do was pass the issue up the chain of command.

So my question to Ron is this: Is this kind of turnaround acceptable in PCGS's eyes? I love using the photo service but this is NOT acceptable treatment in my eyes and until the process is changed, I will NOT be using the photo service again. I know other PCGS members that feel exactly the way that I do and are annoyed that the process takes inordinately long and that customer service when queried is inept.

V.r,
John

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the person on the phone sounded like he was stoned, and he said all he could do was pass the issue up the chain of command. >>

Did you get his name? Carol would like to work on these issues, but she needs names of those with whom we have problems.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>the person on the phone sounded like he was stoned, and he said all he could do was pass the issue up the chain of command. >>

Did you get his name? Carol would like to work on these issues, but she needs names of those with whom we have problems.

Russ, NCNE >>

Russ' point is an excellent one. In addition to feeding the name to Carol, you would be amazed how much better customer service reps tend to be when your first question to them is, "What's your name and extension?"....Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Russ and Mike,

While I agree I should have gotten the name of the customer service rep, the problem is in the Photo process....the turnaround time is not customer services fault.

J
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is going to disappear.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread is going to disappear. >>

No it won't. John was very polite and straight forward in his question and comments.
    Besides- if John stops using PCGS's photo service, they will be out millions...image
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    I sure hope things improve as I, as a customer, am very disappointed in regards to the service I have recieved from PCGS with the exception of one. David, a CSR at PCGS, went above and beyond to service a recent request and my hat is off to him. He is an example that all other CSRs at PCGS should follow, at least that has been my experience with his service.
    Charter member of CA, Coinaholics Anonymous-6/7/2003
    Kewpie Doll award-10/29/2007
    Successful BST transactions with Coinboy and Wondercoin.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped using the photo service for this very reason. To his credit, Phil is not only a superb photographer, but he really does care about the customer.

I wrote a letter to David Hall about it in December and am still waiting a reply. image
  • Options
    Time is Relative---A.Einstein
  • Options
    ram1946ram1946 Posts: 762 ✭✭
    Glad this topic poped up. Not only did it take way too long for the reholder/image process on my last submission (received 5/2, mailed 6/23, received about a week later), customer service was virtually non-existent. I called several times toward the middle of June onward and really received no answer other than "don't worry, be happy". I gave up trying to work with the customer rep I first spoke with (doesn't return calls in spite of promsising to do so), so I thought I call and speak to someone new. This other person really did PCGS a huge wrong by telling me the $10 I spend to have the coin reholdered and imaged (I had nine coins in my submission) was too small to receive any priority and that I should expect to wait while the more expensive submissions are handled. In other words, they'll fit me in when they can but just stay on the side and let the others in the door first. I'm convinced that if I hadn't called so much my coins would still be in Californonia.

To his credit, I have to echo what others are saying about Phil. He does care and if you can get to him via email he'll do what he can.

If I could only develop my own photography skills to an acceptable level I'd advoid the aggravation of and insolense of PCGS's customer service department.
  • Options
    I'm sitting in the middle of customer service right now and I don't think anyone is in the state that was described. I know you’re frustrated but be fair.

Again, another great reason to get the person's name so if there really is an issue with a rep the manager can speak with them and resolve any issues that need to be resolved.

coinlieutenant

I'm told this issue is resolved; contact me if you need any additional information.

Carol
  • Options

<< <i>This other person really did PCGS a huge wrong by telling me the $10 I spend to have the coin reholdered and imaged (I had nine coins in my submission) was too small to receive any priority and that I should expect to wait while the more expensive submissions are handled. >>

Did you get a name?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Carol,

I am being fair. I spend quite a bit of money with PCGS on grading and photography. While I am sure he probably wasnt stoned, he sounded uninterested and tired. I got the distinct impression that he viewed me as impatient.

Additionally, you are starting to see numerous people that feel the same way as I do. I have been told NEARLY A DOZEN times that the process for photography was going to be worked and streamlined. This has happened over and over with numerous different members.

I am simply stating that I am tired of lip service and as a paying customer I would like something done.

John
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got an order that has been there since May 27. The service reps will not even tell you which part of the process the coins are in now. They just say "processing". I would like to know if they are in grading, verification, etc.
  • Options

<< <i>I've got an order that has been there since May 27. >>

I have that beat by a day. But, I haven't called them. In fact, I rarely call them. I don't think it speeds up the process any to do so.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    PM'd Carol with details. I won't give out names publically (you know, public praise, private disagreement).
  • Options
    I understand that customer service probably deals with many "impatient types". However, people calling in shouldnt be automatically grouped into that category...at least not until some investigation is done.

Those that send in via economy need to patient to a point. image

I am also concerned about why the package is not entered into the system until DAYS after the USPS delivers the item and then the clock doesnt start until it is entered. This is essentially rendering the turnaround guarantee obsolete. I have never received an answer to this, yet prices continue to rise for submissions.

Also, whenever you send in a coin for grade and photo, the turnaound time disappears. I dont know why, if the coins are waiting for grading, they cant be photographed and the turnaround time be essentially the same? If not, at least put a time frame on the guarantee turnaround a photo/grade will take.

It is obvious that logistical issues exist with the photo process...I am willing to be patient...I have been patient...I am willing to pay money for a service. I just want it respected.

John
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mean to pile on, but this is as good a time as any.

I have sent three orders to PCGS for the TrueView service. (First of all, Phil gets a star for his stellar communication and desire to satisfy the customer.) Typically, once the coins are received by PCGS, Phil takes the photos in a couple of days. He emails the photos for review - in a couple of rare instances, I have asked for a re-image which was always done with no issue. Then the wait starts. It usually take another month to get the coins reholdered and shipped. IMHO, this is wrong. The value-added part of the process takes a couple of days and then it takes a month to get the coins reholdered?

So under normal circumstances, it takes about two months to ship, photo, reholder, and receive your coins back. Wow

BTW, I have heard that PCGS will discontinue the option of receiving a hi-res CD of the photos. On my last order, I have been waiting for several months for the CD. I am using this as a test to see how long it really takes to get their affairs in order - I haven't complained - yet. And BTW, you pay an addidional $25 for the CD. Never again.

Overall, I think that it is a shame that Phil's great work is ruined by totally unacceptable turnaround times. The photos are worth the expense, the wait is not.

And I bet I am not contacted by PCGS - their customer service leaves alot to be desired these days.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I've got an order that has been there since May 27. >>

I have that beat by a day. But, I haven't called them. In fact, I rarely call them. I don't think it speeds up the process any to do so.
    Russ, NCNE >>

Russ,

Sometimes I just call because I get lonely and want to hear someone's voice. In fact, I just hung up the phone a few minutes ago. I was talking with Carol. She is a real sweetheart and really knows her stuff.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I know other PCGS members that feel exactly the way that I do and are annoyed that the process takes inordinately long and that customer service when queried is inept. >>

You can count me in that group.

I fully believe Carol when she says the issue has been resolved. That is...I believe it has been resolved specifically in regards to John's coins. Has the issue been resolved company wide and for all of the other customers? I highly doubt it. Again, I'm amazed at how problems encountered in the PCGS process are seemingly instantly resolved when posted about on this forum yet the customer service over the phone closely resembles a brick wall.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I'll be fine until the day PCGS outsources it to India!image
    Doug
  • Options

<< <i>Carol,

I am being fair. I spend quite a bit of money with PCGS on grading and photography. While I am sure he probably wasnt stoned, he sounded uninterested and tired. I got the distinct impression that he viewed me as impatient.

Additionally, you are starting to see numerous people that feel the same way as I do. I have been told NEARLY A DOZEN times that the process for photography was going to be worked and streamlined. This has happened over and over with numerous different members.

I am simply stating that I am tired of lip service and as a paying customer I would like something done.

John >>

I'm OK with you stating that you felt he was uninterested, tired, did not give a damn about you as customer but the stoned comment was unfair. That is was I was referring to. You have every right to feel frustrated, upset and angry over the length of time this is taking but please understand that as a department we aren't involved in processing.
    I'm sure Phil has conveyed the complaints regarding this and this thread will be seen by Ron Guth and others who can make changes that may help streamline this service.

As for getting lip service, I'm sorry but I have to give you some more. I will make sure that your complaints go to the appropriate people but please understand that I don't have the ability or authority to make the changes that you would like.

Carol

• Options

<< <i>PM'd Carol with details. I won't give out names publically (you know, public praise, private disagreement). >>

That works. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Oh yeah, Carol, since you're hanging around this evening, can you check on my submission? image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Hi Carol....image
  • Options
    Carol....in response to your last post...
    I wrote this earlier in the thread.

<<Russ and Mike,

While I agree I should have gotten the name of the customer service rep, the problem is in the Photo process....the turnaround time is not customer services fault.

J
    >>

Let's not let the "sounded stoned" comment become the focal point of this conversation.

BTW, thanks for getting it resolved. image

John
  • Options

<< <i>Carol....in response to your last post...
    I wrote this earlier in the thread.

<<Russ and Mike,

J
    >>

Let's not let the "sounded stoned" comment become the focal point of this conversation.

BTW, thanks for getting it resolved. image

John >>

John,

I was just making my point and I'm done.
    It's frustrating to us as well when our hands are tied in helping you guys out, believe me.

I can't take credit for help you out on this order I don't know if the thread was seen by someone or the person you spoke to in customer service sent an inquiry and got the ball rolling. I came late to this party.

Hi Rampage, it was nice to talk with you too and if you don't see a PM from me by Monday afternoon bug me or call me so I can bug them again. First request sent down as promised.

Russ - I thought you paid Marty to check them on his fancy page?

ram1946 - PM rec'd and I will bring it up with the Customer Service Manager when she is back in the office on Monday- As for the turnaround time issue, I will make your frustration known to the powers that be.

Carol

• Options
    Man, Carol helps you guys out and all I get is a hard time.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I call customer service, the person on the phone sounded like he was stoned, and he said all he could do was pass the issue up the chain of command. >>

I talked to the same A-Hole on Monday, then made a call to Ron Guth, he personally took the ball, emailed me back, had grades posted the next day and today I got 20 coins back from PCGS. Ron did a noteworthy job of taking care of my problem and cooling me down from another experience with a customer service rep whom should be deleivering pizza's, if he were allowed to drive.

I feel ya...................

And to Ron Guth............Thank You, Walt Hutton
  • Options

<< <i>Man, Carol helps you guys out and all I get is a hard time.

Russ, NCNE >>

Seeing that you have over 48,000 posts lets me deduce you have the free time to call or check the web yourself. image

• Options

<< <i>Seeing that you have over 48,000 posts lets me deduce you have the free time to call or check the web yourself. >>

I can't. I'm too busy posting.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ron Guth is the man! image

Can't play poker worth a darn, but he's the man! image
  • Options
    Carol, thank for getting involved.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I won't name the name of one CS manager that I have talked to and was probably the worse CS person I've ever dealt with. In fact, I later learned that he was the person that accepted my submission at a show. He was so uninterested in helping me at the show and quite frankly seemed to care less that he was even at the show. When I talked to him on the phone a week later checking on the submission, he seemed not to have a clue how to help resolve an issue. I assume he was some sort of manager in that when I couldn't get an answer out of the first person I talked to, I asked for his manager.

With no results and what appeared to be lack of interest, I ended up emailing HRH where the issue got immediate attention and I was called by Steve Mayer who handled the situation. It shouldn't take Carol, HRH, Steve, or Ron to handle problems like this. That is ineffective. Carol, with all do respect, you need better CS agents handling the calls. This thread should be proof that there is a problem. You should be directing the orchestra, not making sure the trumpet section is in tune.image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't name the name of one CS manager that I have talked to and was probably the worse CS person I've ever dealt with. In fact, I later learned that he was the person that accepted my submission at a show. He was so uninterested in helping me at the show and quite frankly seemed to care less that he was even at the show.

I had a similar experience at the St. Louis show last fall. At that show, I submitted coins to both PCGS and NGC and what a difference it was. When I went to the NGC table, they were attentive, offered to fill out the paperwork for me, were courteous, thanked me, etc. At the PCGS table, despite that there was only one other customer there, I was mostly ignored and practically had to beg them to take my submission and money from me. I vowed never to submit to PCGS again. I broke my promise in April at the Spring ANA show, and I must say that the service was excellent. The PCGS rep speeded along my submission and held up the group of coins going to the graders because she wanted me to be able to get back my submission by the early afternoon. Perhaps things are moving in the right direction, but I do not plan to use the True View photography service until I stop reading these same complaints.
  • Options

<< <i> I won't name the name of one CS manager that I have talked to and was probably the worse CS person I've ever dealt with. In fact, I later learned that he was the person that accepted my submission at a show. He was so uninterested in helping me at the show and quite frankly seemed to care less that he was even at the show.

I had a similar experience at the St. Louis show last fall. At that show, I submitted coins to both PCGS and NGC and what a difference it was. When I went to the NGC table, they were attentive, offered to fill out the paperwork for me, were courteous, thanked me, etc. At the PCGS table, despite that there was only one other customer there, I was mostly ignored and practically had to beg them to take my submission and money from me. I vowed never to submit to PCGS again. I broke my promise in April at the Spring ANA show, and I must say that the service was excellent. The PCGS rep speeded along my submission and held up the group of coins going to the graders because she wanted me to be able to get back my submission by the early afternoon. Perhaps things are moving in the right direction, but I do not plan to use the True View photography service until I stop reading these same complaints. >>

My experience was at the end of March at the Santa Clara show.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    so....

if you complain publicly your order gets moved to the front of the pile?

is that what I'm seeing?
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so....

is that what I'm seeing?

Don't know about getting anything moved to the front of the line, but I suspect posting here finally gets you the service that you called for in the first place.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777

The sqeaky wheel always gets the grease...
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    Phil does a great job in a very timely manner !

its the bottlenecks pre Phil and post Phil that are the problem !
  • Options

<< <i>so....

is that what I'm seeing? >>

I ain't saying nuttin....nuttin nuttin nuttin.............

Oh crap ... try as I may I can't help myself...

I guess with the TPG's its not what you know---or what you submit---..................

I wonder.............???????????

So I don't get booted off the PCGS boards, I will ask this generically...

If asked under oath in a court of law to any of the TPG's
    If any of the graders knew who the submitter was on ANY--- let me repeat ANY coin that is.... EVERY person involved in the grading/opinion of a grade on ANY coin...?????????????????????????
    This would, of course, be contrary to what has been said over and over by the TPG's when alluded to.....

Remember---under oath so any false crap would end up be a legal nightmare for anyone not telling the truth and nuttin but the truth..........

I wonder.........????????

Remember PCGS---I may not be asking YOU this theoretical question so don't hold that red card over my head...!!!!

I just wonder....????
  • Options
    ttt
    I hate when honesty kills a thread.......
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    it did kinda take a nosedive there.

• Options
    Too bad too.....I think if people spoke up, things could get better. And some of the CS reps would again start treating people like they were actually the customer.
  • Options
    The problem is triple x that they need to treat ALL of their customers the same-----------

Just a matter of time....... It's like a House of cards....image
  • Options
    I agree thats why sometimes, b*tching about the service rendered here on the boards, just might get some one to wake up. I know for a fact, this threard has been read and is being monitored by several PCGS officials. I think companies need to hear the pro's and the con's, to assist them in there business conduct.

Thant the only thing I was pointing out.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>so....

is that what I'm seeing? >>

I ain't saying nuttin....nuttin nuttin nuttin............ >>

And I never complained publicly....I called to the top, left a message, heard back from PCGS, had a conversation, and the problem got solved. Thats not to say I didn't feel like, slapping the snot out of the CS rep whom gotten me pissed off, but I handled it directly and THEN publicly acknowledged being please with the out come.
  • Options
    I think most here agree that the grading at PCGS is about the best in the industry. There may be periods when they may be considered tight on grading. I also think most here agree that the picture quality out of the TruView is top notch. But when it comes to turn around times, the quality of customer service, and I'll make it known again, the lack of security of submissions sent from trade shows, they are in need of serious improvements.
  • Options
    Seems like Goose was upset that I got "knocked to the front of the line" way back when. Even though that is not what happened.

Figured I would ttt it for reference to the other thread.

John
  • Options
    Man----I sure complained a lot and asked a lot of tough questions back then---what a rebel...I am soo glad that I am now mature calm and collectedimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file