Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pretty Bust Quarter...with interesting strike characteristics.

...recent addition to the collection.

Sorry, I just free handed the coin at my desk but you get the idea.

1819 Sm 9 B-4.....more than likely the finest known for the variety.

If you look at the bust you will see a strike through. I have another B-4 with a similar strike through but it is located in the left obverse field.
My opinion is that there was some form of liquid on the die and as the B-4's were struck, the liquid moved around the die showing striking weakness in diffent locations on the coin.

I'll try to post a pic of the other B-4 for a comp.

imageimage

If you look in the left obv field, just above the bust line, you can see the strike through's (2-3).

imageimage
Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins

Comments

• Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    Nice quarter.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    TrinkettsTrinketts Posts: 1,699
    Man!! She is just beautiful. Well done.
    Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about. -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off- great coin.
    Interesting observation about the cause of the strike thru. I can see how liquid can cause a strike thru due to the fact that liquid does not compress much, but due to the heating of the dies cause by the pressure of the strike do you think the liquid would still be present from one strike to the next?
    Interesting thoughts elwood....
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    do all b4's show this is in some location or another?
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Wow, nice flattened boob there.

I can see how liquid can cause a strike thru due to the fact that liquid does not compress much, but due to the heating of the dies cause by the pressure of the strike do you think the liquid would still be present from one strike to the next?

I share the reservations about a liquid accounting for multiple sequential strike throughs...but I'm certainly no student or scholar on the subject. I think it more likely that a press operator was out too late the night before and wasn't too concerned about what was dropping in the die area the following day.image

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

<< <i> but due to the heating of the dies cause by the pressure of the strike do you think the liquid would still be present from one strike to the next? >>

JRocco...It probably depends on what the liquid was. I'm assuming it could possibly be some type of oil or possibly grease? I don't know how hot the die got during the minting process. It's possible that water couldn't cause this.

<< <i>do all b4's show this is in some location or another? >>

Cladiator.....I've seen it on one other example. It was in low grade and I only saw a picture of it. The B-4's are a bit rarer (R-4) so examples are not all that plentiful.

B-4's come in various states of die deterioration. The 3 examples I've seen have all been at the same die stage. If you look at the 2 pics I posted, the die state is identicle, so they had to have been struck very closely to each other. You can see the die crack through the date. The die cracks are identical in person while the images make one die crack look more pronounced.

Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    ...thats a Killer Kuarter !
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    WOW...very nice and an interesting bust on the bust!image
  • Options
    AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Beautiful bust quarter, these are hard to find with that much eye appeal.
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

<< <i>WOW...very nice and an interesting bust on the bust! >>

You know that one side is always larger than the otherimageimage

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gosh that's a nice coin

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file