Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Purely Hypothetical Situation- while at a store that sells furniture one comes across some coins beh

there are IHC, proof and mint sets, and many 1964-1969 kennedy halves, among other coins as well. upon discussion of prices the store owner has no idea of what the coins should sell for. he is selling 1964 halves for $2, 1965-1969 halves for 80 cents each, and has terribly low prices on mint/proof sets also.

Now the question.

do you buy all you can at those prices, tell him he is wayyyy out of date on his pricing, or.......................create your own ending to this story.

Comments

• Options
    Rip city and buy me a new couch !
  • Options
    The way I see it furniture/antique places are fair game. Unfortunately they usually price coins too high though.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since they will probably sell me a chandelier for which they paid $50 at a garage sale for $2500, I would have no qualms about cleaning them out of their coins. image
  • Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    I would go and buy out their inventory.....piece it out and then go back and buy a "token" piece of furniture.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Buy the coins for the asking price. I'm not a big fan of 'haggling' and trying to convince the seller that I should pay more.image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would buy both the coins at a fair price and a cheap couch, give the dealer a few extra dollars to put the coins carefully in the couch when it is delivered, and then 'find' them so my wife does not think I spent any more money on coins. Plus I could always tell the story of how I found all of these coins in a couch I bought...as long as folks don't ask too many questions they might be amazed and it could turn into one of those urban myths circulating the internet resulting in a huge increase in the price of used couches by treasure hunters hoping for a big score. 'For Sale, an almost new totally unsearched 1971 plaid couch' image

Just some thoughts on a nice Saturday (and my first ever post with an icon!)..

K

edited 'cause I picked the wrong icon...
    ANA LM
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I agree, rip city. They have no qualms about gouging you at 70 or 80% margins on their furniture, so grab those coins before someone else does!

EDITED TO ADD: elKevvo, who in their right mind buys a plaid couch???
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    I can often get 64 Kennedies for 2 or 3 dollars from knowledgeable dealers, so that price isn't really much of a rip. One guy at the flea market regularly just busts open rolls of BU Kennedies and dumps them in a bowl and sells them forless than melt. They were $2 until just recently when he jacked up the price to $4. Just last saturday I bought 63 Walkers from the 10s, 20s and 30's and one Barber Half for $4 each and all of them are G to VF. I'd rather buy them than 64 Kennedies for $2.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    I would assume the furniture dealer wants to sell the coins off hence the low price, buy them all and assist him in that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file