Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Modern gold commemoratives are going thru the roof!!

fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
Some of these modern gold commemoratives have inreased over $100 per coin this week in the greysheet. The unc Smithsonian 5$ was $850 is now $1000.image The unc 2000 Library of Congress 10$ bimetal is over $1,675. The 2001 Capital visitor center unc $5 was $650 now it is $850. All the 1995-1996 olympic coins have had HUGE increases this week. The gold commemorative just keep plusing.

To complete a MS and PR modern commemorative gold set, you now need some very deep pockets.

Comments

• Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    Shhhhhh. Let's keep it our little secret. image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, the stuff has been going up, which is to my advantage since I own quite of few of these coins in their raw state. BUT a lot of this might be tied to the gold bullion market, so don't your panties in a wad quite yet. The botton could fall out of this market faster than you think.

Edited to say: If there has been a true shift in collector demand for these coins, these higher prices might well hold up for the scarcer pieces like the Jackie Robinson and Smithsonian pieces. The real common stuff like the 1984 LA Olympics, Statue of Liberty and Constitution coins will go up and down with the bullion values, UNLESS, the collectors demand goes WAY UP for this series.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WHAT?!?!? The "bottom" could NEVER fall out on such classic rarities. Who knows HOW many have been lost to circulation?

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All moves up tied to REAL dealer bids. Yes, that MS Smithsonian (fresh raw) has moved from $600 to $800 to now $1,000/coin in no time - BUT, I need a few right now and would pay the $1,000/coin to get them.

This is just another segment of the modern coin market ON FIRE right now!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    How about the 1984-W $10.......it figures that everything would jump up now that I sold the only one I had image
  • Options

<< <i>All moves up tied to REAL dealer bids. Yes, that MS Smithsonian (fresh raw) has moved from $600 to $800 to now $1,000/coin in no time - BUT, I need a few right now and would pay the $1,000/coin to get them.

This is just another segment of the modern coin market ON FIRE right now!

Wondercoin >>

The relavent question for collectors who are wondering if these coins are something close to a “safe” investment is, “Are these higher prices tied to the bullion market?” If they are the prices will come down when bullion cools off, even if the current numismatic premium is fairly high. BUT if these coins are now being “discovered” either by collectors who ignored them in the past or by new collectors who are in it for the long haul, that’s another story.

I think these coins are ripe for discovery. There are some very pretty designs in the series and some lower mintatges. But what's driving the market. "Bullion fever" or really collector interest?
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Crap, I wish I were finished. I just need two more...
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Any movement on the MS FDR?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    JDelageJDelage Posts: 724 ✭✭
    2 questions:

1 - Is that true of raw coins or only slabbed ones?

2 - What is the gold commem for which a variety was discovered? I think it was one of the Olympic coins.
    "The greatest productive force is human selfishness."
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    Yes, according to the Gray Sheet the FDR commemoratives have gone up over the past couple of months.

One of the great mysteries about the FDR commemorative is what is with the bids on the two piece set? The total bids for the two coins as singles have always been higher than the two coins in the holder. The two coin bid might be lower, but I’ve yet to find a dealer who would sell the coins for that. I’ve seen dealers who could flip them quickly routinely pay the combined single coins bids for these coins.

Sometimes the Gray Sheet numbers make no sense.
  • Options

<< <i>2 questions:

1 - Is that true of raw coins or only slabbed ones?

2 - What is the gold commem for which a variety was discovered? I think it was one of the Olympic coins. >>

#2 1984-W $10 Double Die Obverse was discovered
  • Options
    Thanks!
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭

<< <i>WHAT?!?!? The "bottom" could NEVER fall out on such classic rarities. Who knows HOW many have been lost to circulation?

image >>

Here ya go, go get it. $870 BIN

I have zero affiliation with this auction, and I also have ZERO cash. LOL

• Options

<< <i> The real common stuff like the 1984 LA Olympics, Statue of Liberty and Constitution coins will go up and down with the bullion values, UNLESS, the collectors demand goes WAY UP for this series. >>

Bill,

I was in a coin shop last week and the owner seems to do a big bulk wholesale type business. He told me that he has been selling the modern gold commems to be melted. I asked to clarify if he meant at melt, and he said, no to be melted. I know that one store is just a drop in the bucket, but if the common dates are considered not worth anything more than to be melted, how/when will we know what impact practices like that have on surviving mintages, etc. of those common dates?
  • Options

<< <i>Yea, the stuff has been going up, which is to my advantage since I own quite of few of these coins in their raw state. BUT a lot of this might be tied to the gold bullion market, so don't your panties in a wad quite yet. The botton could fall out of this market faster than you think >>

You are wrong imo...all the gold commems tied to bullion have actually minused this week in the greysheet. Bullion prices are helping with the increases, but these low mintage coins are not tied to bullion.

<< <i>How about the 1984-W $10.......it figures that everything would jump up now that I sold the only one I had >>

Nope that one minused this week.

<< <i>Any movement on the MS FDR? >>

Yes Steve it was $340 last week up to $400 this week.

With some mintages way under 9,000 I believe these price increases have legs. This weekend I looked on ebay for better date gold commems closing on Sunday. The number of raw, PCGS, NGC and even ANACS non MS/PR70 better date gold commems on Ebay were small. Maybe these new prices will shake some more lose from strong hands.
  • Options
    "BUT if these coins are now being “discovered” either by collectors who ignored them in the past or by new collectors who are in it for the long haul, that’s another story."

Yes, that is the other story from what I see.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Woah!!!image This series is ON FIRE!!! Some of the scarcer gold modern commem issues are increasing by hundreds of dollars every time they come out on the grey sheet.

This weeks outrageous greysheet bid price increases are the for the scarcer uncirculated versions:

1995 Stadium $5 was $675 now $800
    1997 FDR was $575 now $700
    2000 LOC $10 was $2,200 now $2,500!!!

If you haven't completed a uncirculated gold modern commem set it looks like you might have missed the boat.
  • Options
    Sell all of those other coins and load up on commemoratives! image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I guess it wasn't tied to bullion prices.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭

<< <i>2000 LOC $10 was $2,200 now $2,500!!! >>

-Pretty sure I have one of those. I think I paid $625.image
  • Options
    I purchased 2 from the mint in 2000 $ 405.00 eachimage
    also loaded up with 9 pcs of the CVC image
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    deep pockets were needed when they were issued!image
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the design of $5 gold half eagle Civil War but I forgot to order one from the Mint. Today this coin is worth about $1000.

I also chose not to buy the Jackie Robinson $5 gold half eagle directly from the Mint for I thought its design was unattractive. Today the coin is out of my reach.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it makes sense. Everyone has always said they're junk so there just
    aren't any sellers. With so much buying of this type of material and no selling
    there was simply nowhere to go but higher. Some caution may be advisable
    especially on the higher mintage pieces but when you compare mintages to po-
    tential demand they are mostly quite reasonable.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    The LOC is the 6th lowest mintage type coin since 1915. One very smart dealer in particular picked up on that about 6 months ago, bought up nearly everything they could, while at the same time raising prices near 75% in the process! And, IMHO, don't expect prices to soften anytime soon. I am waiting for him to one day soon start to like coins #1, 3, 4 and 5 on that lowest mintage rarity list - all Proofs Plat!

Wondercoin image
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does the Jackie run in original mint capsule - this sold for about 170 from Paul Sims during year of issue, actually less than mint issue price being my recall...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What does the Jackie run in original mint capsule - this sold for about 170 from Paul Sims during year of issue, actually less than mint issue price being my recall... >>

$3500 in MS65 to $3800 in MS68
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>WHAT?!?!? The "bottom" could NEVER fall out on such classic rarities. Who knows HOW many have been lost to circulation?

image >>

Not to mention those massive private melts.

Seriously, they are probably a few earlier modern ones in mint state with low mintages that have future potential depending on the level of overall collector interest. The ubiquitous high grade proofs are damned IMO though.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

Not to mention those massive private melts.

. >>

These aren't very old and the attrition isn't extremely high but you might be surprised how
    many have already been lost or destroyed. people take better care of this sort of thing than
    they do pocket change but they still are lost in fires and floods. How many were in safety de-
    posit boxes in New Orleans?

Wondercoin mentioned the platinum coins. These coins do get destroyed because there are
    relatively few sources for platinum so those who need the metal for some purpose will use the
    coins of known purity.

But this is irrelevant when you consider that people are buying these despite the warnings and
    despite the fact so few like them. It is irrelevant because the mintages were small to start with
    in so many cases. It doesn't matter if the attrition is high or low when 50,000 collectors want a
    coin with a 25,000 mintage.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sell all of those other coins and load up on commemoratives! image >>

Hmmm.... not sure..... maybe should be selling those gold commems and stocking up on the other coins!!!

Wonder how long these will keep ramping up.... will have to top off at some point.

Any guesses why these are pushing up so much? Are they really that scarce? Perhaps this is a result of the great hype that is surrounding any issue the Mint is releasing in recent times?
    ----- kj
  • Options
    "Are they really that scarce?"

Good question - consider that the "scarcest" Classic Silver Commem type coin out of the (50) classic commem types is the Hawaiian at a 9,958 mintage (ranking around 24th scarcest coin since 1915). The Library of Congress (correction 7th lowest mintage type coin since 1915 - not 6th, as I forgot about another Proof Plat which is scarcer), mintage is 6,683, while the Jackie Robinson MS is a scant 5,174 (#2 scarcest type coin since 1915).

Wondercoin

Edited to add - the demand is truly there. I believe I could assist a collector place (100) Library of Congress Mint State Commems @ $2,500/coin next week alone if there was a collector that even had that many to sell.
  • Options
    A Very Hot Series !
  • Options

<< <i>...Perhaps this is a result of the great hype that is surrounding any issue the Mint is releasing in recent times? >>

I often go looking for this hype and have always come up pretty much empty. I see the
    mint advertising with its glossy brochures but this is for brand new coin not "recent mint
    products".

I'd appreciate any info about where to find hype for moderns or ultra-moderns since I'm
    trying to put a sort of scrapbook together for future collectors and because such things
    are just of great interest to me.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    They keep on going up on the greysheet....big time!!

1995 -W Stadium $5 unc.......................$925.
    1997-W FDR $5 unc...............................$825
    2001-W Capital Visitor Center $5 unc...$1175
    2000-W LOC $10...................................$2900.

This is crazy. imageimage
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    What was the mintage on the Capital Visitor Center? I bought a couple at issue and one later in PCGS 69 for about $400 on TT(only gold commemorative I have). Thanks in advance.
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options

<< <i>What was the mintage on the Capital Visitor Center? I bought a couple at issue and one later in PCGS 69 for about $400 on TT(only gold commemorative I have). Thanks in advance. >>

Proof 27,652
    MS 6,761
  • Options
    All I have is a few 87 Constitution coins, some 84 & 88 Olympics, a couple 89 Congress, and a couple 86 Liberty. I bought them at bullion prices, so I think they must be plentiful.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options

<< <i>They keep on going up on the greysheet....big time!!

1995 -W Stadium $5 unc.......................$925.
    1997-W FDR $5 unc...............................$825
    2001-W Capital Visitor Center $5 unc...$1175
    2000-W LOC $10...................................$2900.

This is crazy. imageimage >>

What's the greysheet on the $5 Jackie these days?
  • Options

<< <i>What's the greysheet on the $5 Jackie these days? >>

Bob...Greysheet bid is $4,200 and climbing. Now go and enjoy that Blunt.image
  • Options

<< <i>Bob...Greysheet bid is $4,200 and climbing. Now go and enjoy that Blunt.image >>

Considering I only paid $600 for mine -- I'm already high imageimage.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I had to finally put the Jackie in the safe deposit box & got mine for 170 year of issue - have never done better on a modern coin!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file