Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone specialize on bust quarters?

LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm looking for some information about a 1818 quarter, Browning 2.

Specifically, the 3 letter "T" on the reverse.

The book I have says nothing about a triangular indentation at the base of the upright on the letter T, but mine has

just that feature. It seems like a fairly obvious feature to leave off of a description, just wondering if anyone

familiar with 1818 Browning 2 can verify that there should (or shouldn't) be a triangular indent on the base of the upright.

Comments

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try Jade rare coin. Dennis, Andrew or Danaca.
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

It's common and happens on almost, if not, all capped bust quarters.

That's probably why it's not mentioned.
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options

<< <i>I'm looking for some information about a 1818 quarter, Browning 2. Specifically, the 3 letter "T" on the reverse. The book I have says nothing about a triangular indentation at the base of the upright on the letter T, but mine has just that feature. It seems like a fairly obvious feature to leave off of a description, just wondering if anyone familiar with 1818 Browning 2 can verify that there should (or shouldn't) be a triangular indent on the base of the upright. >>

Hi Lanlord,

You made a very astute observation. The Browning reference, nor ANY other reference to the best of my knowledge, acknowledges the defective "T" found in 3 places on the reverse of nearly all large size capped bust quarters. Again, ALMOST ALL bust quarters from 1815-1828 have defective T's on the reverse. The 1815 is one exception. The other exception is the original (not restrike) 1827 and 1828 B-1, which used the 1827 original reverse die. The 1827 restrike used 1819 B-2, which shows the notches in the 3 T's.

I suppose that the Browning/Breen reference (which I assume you were referencing) does not mention this flaw since it would have to be mentioned on nearly every variety; it's just accepted that it's there. However, I think that it should be mentioned since it is a fascinating insight into the methods of the early U.S. Mint. Think about it: each letter of UNITED STATES OF AMERICA was hand punched into each die. Out of the many reverse dies produced over a 10 year period, the engravers used the exact same "T" punch each time (with the exceptions noted above). And it was a badly defective "T" punch. If you had that punch in your hands today, it would show a triangular hole, which would leave a raised area in the actual die. Coins struck from this would therefore show a triangular depression, which they do.

Inspired by your post, I spoke with Brad Karoleff about this issue today. I suggested that he and Glenn P. add something to the new quarter reference regarding this issue. He said "probably not", but he and I will discuss it at the next show (over drinks image).

In closing: the triangular depressions are not diagnostic of any one variety of bust quarters. If you look closely at the image (which is terrible) in the Browning reference, you will see the depressions. Flip through the other plates and you will see that it's there on the others.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, excellent reply and I appreciate your information greatly.

I also appreciate you taking the time to discuss this matter with Brad and Glenn.

What I find amazing, is once you mentioned it, I now see it on other pictures and coins.

For some reason, I never did see that before. Old age I guess! image

It is very interesting that the same defective punch, in declining "health" was used so many times.

That is indeed, one of the reasons this hobby is so fun.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Interesting! I have noticed this triangle on some of my bust quarters, will count which ones have it next time the coins are from the bank

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just received a quarter Breen (in his revision of Browning) calls "extremely rare"

The coin also has this feature! very interesting!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file