Home U.S. Coin Forum

The origin of your icon

shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
Mine was created almost 5 years ago, shortly after the Heritage 2001 ANA sale.
One of 3 NGC graded 68RD IH's, at 6K it was a bargain -- even if you grade it 67RD.
I've never seen it up for sale since.

One of the nicest Heritage IH images I've ever seen, and taken 5 years ago!
Compare it to their current images image

Comments

• i carved my icon out of a buffalo nickel using hand gravers
    xx
  • Aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I just made it this weekend for this forum member named shylock's weekend Photoshop post..................quite the news flash aye???

imageimageimageimageimage
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    I don't know. Some horny dog somewhere, I would imagine.
  • ILikeMercsILikeMercs Posts: 1,392
    Mrs. Fine
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Mine originates back to the "bloodiest" day in American history.image

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Picked mine up by default
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    The edited version with the hat was the only one Carol would let me have.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's what I play.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've taken this bird on both of my trips to Israel... good ol' 4X-ELB
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • SDCollectorSDCollector Posts: 886 ✭✭
    My first coin pic. Taken outside in natural light. Beginner's luck. And I notice a few others are using it image
    Bill
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a 1929p with FB ... I bought the coin raw from a local dealer in 1998 and placed it in the whitman album ... it was a white lusterous Choice/Gem ... now its a beautiful golden-amber-orange toned lusterous Choic/Gem ... the picture is from about a year ago ... when I decided to take it out of the album and put it in a snap-tite

Over the course of 5 to 7 years, almost all of my Album Merc's toned in the same types of shades, to varying degrees

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine originated from my new 1867 NGC MS63 3-Cent Nickel. Neat obverse cud under the date and die clashes.

BTW, these are Aspen Park Rare Coins images. The images really capture the coin quite nicely.
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stole mine from shylock.image
    Larry

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is my favorite (at least so far) bust overdate
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    Mine's my dog Buddy. His Dad was 90 pounds and we were told that's how big he would get. He's 150 pounds and very good with our kids. He's only eaten one or two.
  • Mine's obvious. I don't know what to do.

Jerry
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure where mine came from image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• numonebuyernumonebuyer Posts: 2,136
    My highest quality Morgan.
  • CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    I bought mine raw at a local show. The lighting at the table sucked and I could barely see the color. But once I had it in appropriate lighting - score! It's now in a PCGS AU58 holder and is a 1912-D.
  • How does one use an image of their own and transfer it to here?? Thanx in advance
  • AgflyerAgflyer Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    I'm a U.S. coin collector by heart, but I'd always wanted my icon coin. It's 2500 years old and one of the neatest designs that I've seen on a coin. This one was on a bid board at my local dealer's and I won it for a song. It would have gone for several times what I paid for it except for test cuts on both the obverse and reverse. Still I'm proud to say it's mine!
    I've had great transactions with people like: drwstr123, CCC2010, AlanLastufka, Type2, Justlooking, zas107, StrikeOutXXX, 10point, 66Tbird, and many more!
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Found it raw four or five years ago. It's one of my favorite SMS coins.

Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My icon Is of my Filipino wife that i've been married to for going on 9 yrs
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Ones an R-8 variety 1795 half eagle and the other one a mint state 1834 capped bust quarter eagle ( I bought 7 of the known surviving specimens in a period of less than 2 years, this being one of them)image
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine was created 177 years ago, it's the eagle from the reverse of an 1829 Capped Bust Half Dime. The coin is PCGS AU58 and surprisingly actually grades out at AU58. I got it off Teletrade some time ago. It's an R6 coin.
  • Mine is a Finnish commemorative that I bought from Frankcoins about five years ago. image
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Just one of my error coins I snapped a pic of for this icon change.
    1969s WCLR-001 counterclash
  • Mine is a B-5 variety I got from J.J. Teaparty at a significant discount because the slab noted "damage" and "graffiti". I happen to think it's adjustment marks, and I definitely wouldn't call it graffiti, but I don't really care; it's one of my favorites regardless. My son calls it Wolverine because it looks like Logan took a swipe at it.

• << <i>The edited version with the hat was the only one Carol would let me have. >>

Mad Marty, I've always wanted to ask you... have you considered doing a Topical collection of talleywhackers?
  • ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315

<---------------1951 Berlin, Germany

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't drink the koolaid, drink funnyface.

It was a koolaid knockoff from the 60s when I was a YN.
  • bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    From a flashback from 1969.First time i really started getting interested in colors,on coins of course.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!

• << <i>From a flashback from 1969.First time i really started getting interested in colors,on coins of course.image >>

Of course! image

C'mon, admit it. You like to hang out with your Toner friends, don't you? I bet you take 'em out and stare at 'em by the hour. Before you know it, it's morning image
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    ...a representative display of a united group of self-governing, independent, sovereign states, I think. image
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Self portrait.
  • INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    <-------- Self Explanatory
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Combination of the first 2 icons (my two favorite coins - classic and modern) that I uploaded to the CU forum. Photoshopped by Cosmicdebris for me.

image & image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    This thread is more interesting than I imagined it would have been.

Mine is just an 1878 gem dmpl 1878 8TF Morgan (VAM-2) that is the lead coin, by date, in my prooflike set. Got that particular one a little over 2 years ago from Superior Galleries.
    I am wondering if I should change it to this on the next upload day.image (Taken from my 97-O from the set, a PCGS 63PL.)
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Don Vito Corleone from the greatest movie ever.
    M39/10USNY:US1Cu10000:US5Ni3520:US10Ag94:US25Ag65:US50Ag18
    2000 Gallery PPI Registry Set
  • ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    never mind

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Mine is a VAm that I own. The coin is currently at ANACS.
  • CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is one of two '38-C Half Eagles I have... the '05 Half Eagle in the sig block is a recent purchase from a very nice & honest boardmember ~ TobyOneKenobe.

the 'dudeimageimage
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Self-portrait cartoon of Vaughn Bode (created Cheech Wizard and other comics) .LINK
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Click the Bingle link in the sig.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My icon is the last of three Chain Cents I've owned as a collector.

The first was graded Fair. It had probably been though a fire and showed maybe half of the design. The head was outlined on the obverse and the date was there although that had probably been enhansed with some engraving. On the reverse the chain was visible and enough of the legend showed to prove that it was an Ameri. (pronunced A-MER-EYE varity) I bought it at the old Gimbels Department Store coin counter in Philadelphia for $270 circa 1970 and sold it for $450 at an EAC convention circa 1976. One dealer who saw it after I had sold it said he would have paid $500.

The second one had a lot of deal, but was badly damaged. I bought it from Teaparty for around $1,000 and sold it for a small profit a couple years later.

The third is my icon coin. I purcased it from the Worthy Coin Shop, which was a "bid wall" institution in Boston for many years. About three years ago I sent it to NGC and about keeled over when it came back in a VF-30 holder. image My grade was Fine-15.

I probably won't be ungrading this one. Years ago a friend loaned an Ameri that he had purchased for photographing and display at an EAC convention. I scraped together as much money as I could and offered him $10,000 for the piece. He passed, as I expected. Today the coin, which has EF-45 sharpness with a few scratches (EAC grading standards, the slab grade would be AU), Today that coin would probably be worth $75,000 or more.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Mine is a Canadian 5-Cent piece elongated at the 1893 World's Columbian Expo. This is one of the rarest dies used and is almost always found on Canadian coinage. Elongateds from the 1893 WCE kind of was a spin off of my type collecting and my passion for Chicago history. I also collect rare tickets from the WCE including food and attraction tickets.
  • From the Hepcat

• I have had this Icon since August 2001.

It was created by a young collector named Justin (jd4science).
    With the help of Bill (Cosmicdebris) we got it loaded to be used by me.

I have not seen a post by Justin since October 2002.

Over the last year of so I have been mainly collecting world coins with bears on them.

Larry
  • Just a few old coins I have laying around.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file