Home Metal Detecting
Options

ENTRY/NOMINATION THREAD: May , 2006 "QUALITY" AWARDS (Best Coin/Jewelry/Relic/Wildcard fin

Please enter your finds (or nominate somebody else's finds) for this month's five Metal Detecting Forum "Quality" awards:

The five "quality" award categories are:

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token
Best U.S. Coin/Token
Best Jewelry Item
Best Relic/Other
Best "Wild Card" Find

There is no limit on the number of entries per forum member. If your find seems humble in comparison to some of the others, don't sweat it- we like to see what everybody's found, be it humble or fantastic. Just post your item and a brief story of how you found it, or a link to your thread about the find, if there was one. If you can, post a picture of your item (small to medium-sized pictures of single items, please, rather than large groupings, since the pictures will be used in the poll threads at the end of the month). If you make a neat find and do not post it here, we might miss it later when we put the award polls up, so be sure and post your better finds here even if you already posted your own thread about them. Also, let us know what category you're entering for.

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token: This includes all world coinage with the exception of US minted coins obviously.

Best U.S. Coin/Token: this category is pretty self-explanatory. Note that it is for detector finds of coins minted in the U.S from 1776 to present - if a coin or token was found in circulation or by eyesight, it belongs in the "Wild Card" category. The award is for single coin finds, though if a cache is found all in the same hole and/or same container at the same time, it may be entered as a single item.

Best Jewelry Item: also pretty straightforward, but if you find coin jewelry, you can choose to put it here or in the Coin category. Also, if you find lost jewelry and return it to its proper owner, you still get to enter it in the competition, even though it wasn't "finders keepers". (See if you can get a picture of it, though).

Best Relic/Other: this category pretty much covers anything found with a detector that isn't a coin or jewelry.

Best "Wild Card" Item: this category is only for finds made without a detector. It may include coins or jewelry, but if you found those with your detector, they go in the categories above. This is for surface "eyeball" finds, circulation coin finds, and pretty much anything else, including nonmetallic finds like arrowheads, bottles, fossils, gemstones, gold nuggets, minerals, natural history specimens, pottery, prehistoric artifacts, and so on. Be sure and mention that the item you are entering is a "Wild Card" find, so we'll know which category to put it in when the polls go up at the end of the month.
Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Best U.S. Coin/Token

I Like IKE :-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

WILDCARD.

found in field across the street while picking up field stones with the kids.
  • Options
    Best "Wild Card" Find
    Eyeballed in the wood chips at tot lot = $8 dollar flash lite in working order image

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Not sure what categorie this goes into?
    Maybe this:
    Best Relic/Other Key chain-Fob

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    more wildcards from across the street in the field.image

• Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    The '39 Merc is the best of my detecting finds for May...so far.

• Options
    SilverDreamsSilverDreams Posts: 427 ✭✭
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Well, I haven't found anything really worthy of posting in a while, so I thought that I'd post this 1913 D wheat cent that I found behind my uncle's house on May 19.
    imageimage
    Always on the lookout for a silver opportunity.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Here is my best coin

1883 V-nickel w/cents

best token
    Good for 25c in Trade

best token
    bust of George Washington
    say's God and Country and lords prayer on back

other side

HH,Tom
  • Options
    Not as old as my '39 Merc but big silver always has a shot.

• Options
    best coin: 1892 ihc

ive never found anything worth entering till now to tell you the truth....but the month of may has been very, very good to me. as far as metal detecting goes anyway, i've made some cool finds and set some of my personal bests.....i love this game!.....thanks

"see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    best relic: 1800's watch key

well, after lord m stired up a little debate as to just what my relic was with his "does'nt look like a watch stem to me" statement...... the verdict is in, it's a "watch key".....perhaps my coolest find so far.....thanks

"see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    This one here is for my Best U.S. Coin Entry

• Options
    I almost forgot...my best Non US coin for May.....

These 2 were in the same hole.
  • Options
    Heres my "wildcard collection"

Wildcard

4 1941 and up wheat pennie books... 1 is full... 2 are close to being full, and 1 has a few pennies in it.
    Around 50 Indian Head Pennies
    18 Mercury Dimes
    Probably around 500 lose wheat pennies aside from all of this. I am still sorting through everything... and I have my camera... however I forgot to bring my link cable with me from South Carolina. I will get some pics of them when I return to base and get them posted.

Well, I was able to get pics... but go figure, I acidentally left my camera in Ohio... and put the coins with the rest of my collection in the safe... so I have to wait until the camera is shipped to me. And there are 47 Indian Head Pennies... despite my first guess of 50.
  • Options
    Got some more to enterimage
    Best jewelry
    14k gold ring w/red stone

best coin:1865 IH

wild card:Goodyear rubber button

Thank's and HH,Tom
  • Options
    Wild card find.......

1964D silver Rosey in the CoinStar.
  • Options
    Best relic:Silver Expert Rifleman's Badge

HH,Tom
  • Options
    Snuck in under the wire and got a piece of jewelry to submit for the month of May... Lunch hunt today turned up some gold image

It's about a man's size 9 gold band (I'm pretty sure that's the size I wear and this one fits me almost identically).

Stopped by a jewelry shop... a couple of the people there checked it out and said they think it's 10K. (better than "no-K" image)

• Options

<< <i>Best relic:Silver Expert Rifleman's Badge

HH,Tom >>

This is very similar to the current "Sharpshooter" badge... are you sure its the expert badge??? Not like it matters... im just asking.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Best relic:Silver Expert Rifleman's Badge

HH,Tom >>

This is very similar to the current "Sharpshooter" badge... are you sure its the expert badge??? Not like it matters... im just asking. >>

That is the expert badge. You really can't say it is a rifleman's for sure, since those designations hang below the badge. It likely dates to WWII.

I'll be posting the polls tomorrow evening BTW.image
    imageimage
  • Options
    30AnvZ28 yep it sure is a expert's badge as I have one on my uniform.To receive it you have to shoot at 36 out of 40 target's and the target's range anywhere from 50 meter's to 300 meter's.

GR all they give you now is the rifle to hang below it.I was a expert with grenade's,50cal,M60,M203,MK19 and a few other weapon's but all they gave us was the one oin to hang.HH,Tom
  • Options

<< <i>GR all they give you now is the rifle to hang below it.I was a expert with grenade's,50cal,M60,M203,MK19 and a few other weapon's but all they gave us was the one oin to hang.HH,Tom >>

Were you in the Army or Marines?

My understanding was that the Marine Corps presently provides weapons qualification badges for the pistol and rifle only, but the Army issues the same badges for the variety of weapons listed below.
    * Rifle
    * Pistol
    * Artillery
    * Auto Rifle
    * Machinegun
    * Field Artillery
    * Tank Weapons
    * Flamethrower
    * Submachine Gun
    * Grenade
    * Carbine
    * Recoilless Rifle
    * Rocket Launcher
    * Mortar
    * Bayonet
    * Small Bore Rifle
    * Small Bore Pistol
    * Missile
    * Aero-weapons

Of course this information may have changed from the time it was posted on the research site I went to.
    imageimage
  • Options
    U.S. Army Infantry 10 yr's,loved every minute of it too.

Yea I would have to say some of that is out of date,like the flamethrower,recoilless rifle,carbine and probally a few other's there.
    As far as I know the Infantry were the only one's who wore the badge,I never saw any one else wearing them.
    The only guy's to qualify with the pistol were officer's and medic's.HH,Tom
  • Options
    Im in the Marines. I was just asking... like I said before... it didnt matter... just wondering.
  • Options

<< <i>Im in the Marines. I was just asking... like I said before... it didnt matter... just wondering. >>

Don't know if your going to Iraq but if you do watch your six and your men's too.

Got a buddy going back over for his 2nd tour there soon,probally have a few other friend's over there but still in contact with just one,he's now a 1st Sergeant.HH,Tom
  • Options
    Did 7 months on the Enterprise in 03/04 for OIF, OEF, Iron Hammer... then did 7 months in Japan 05/06. I am leaving the Marines in 13 days.