Home U.S. Coin Forum

United States v. Rafael Rios (RafaelCoins on eBay)

Rafael stole over $1,000 from me last summer and more from many other people.

The local police didn't have much interest in arresting him and the Mississippi DA decided to let the US Postal Inspectors handle the case.

Today I finally get a notice that US Department of Justice filed charges against him for "Postal Service Crimes" as he devised a scheme to defraud and obtain money from persons throughout the United States by selling coins on the Internet that he did not possess and did not deliver.

When I looked at the DOJ site it said there were 7 counts. If they ever arrest and convict him it seems there are only 7 victims so if they have him make restitution he only has to make whole 7 people instead all of the people he ripped off here RafaelCoins feedback

I don't know why all these other people wouldn't follow through. Bad decision for them, but maybe good for me.
My posts viewed image times
since 8/1/6

Comments

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strange that it took three weeks of negs piling up for eBay to actually pull his plug. Sounds like he took the opportunity to take advantage of Hurricane Katrina.
  • bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Got my response yesterday as well.More people should have followed through.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    did the person have a 100% feedback or close to it
    before this incident?

12 months ago he had 60 negs.. 6 months ago he racked up
    50 more..

i would imagine he prob had a bad record before that to?
  • i noticed rafael replied to the first batch of negatives....crying his Katrina woes...doesnt excuse fraud. What are the details of the court case?
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Is this the case?

This docket is current through 04/06/2006

For an updated version of this docket, click UPDATE

Court: U.S. DISTRICT COURT SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF MISSISSIPPI (JACKSON)

Case Title: USA v. RIOS

Case: 3:06-CR-00060

Judge: DISTRICT JUDGE TOM S. LEE

Date Filed: 04/05/2006

CASE INFORMATION

Case Number: 3:06CR00060

Referred To: MAGISTRATE JUDGE JAMES C. SUMNER

PARTICIPANT INFORMATION

Defendant: RAFAEL RIOS (1)

Pending Counts: Disposition:

FRAUDS AND SWINDLES (1-7)

Offense Level (opening): FELONY

Offense Level (disposition): NONE

Plaintiff: USA
    Attorney(s): HAROLD H. BRITTAIN
    HAROLD.BRITTAIN@USDOJ.GOV
    Firm Name: U.S. ATTORNEY'S OFFICE
    ONE JACKSON PLACE
    Attorney Address: 188 E. CAPITOL, SUITE 500
    JACKSON, MS 39201
    Attorney Phone: 601-965-4480

DOCKET PROCEEDINGS

Entry#: Date: Description:

04/05/2006 ARREST WARRANT ISSUED FOR RAFAEL RIOS. (LOWERY, R.) (ENTERED: 04/06/2006)

Order Document for Later Delivery

2 04/05/2006 PRAECIPE FOR ARREST WARRANT BY USA AS TO RAFAEL RIOS. (LOWERY, R.) (ENTERED: 04/06/2006)

View Document in PDF Format

1 04/05/2006 INDICTMENT AS TO RAFAEL RIOS (1) COUNT(S) 1-7. (ATTACHMENTS: # 1 COVER SHEET) (LOWERY, R.) (ENTERED: 04/06/2006)

TO ORDER COPIES OF ANY DOCUMENTS LISTED ABOVE, CALL WESTLAW COURTEXPRESS 1-877-DOC-RETR (1-877-362-7387) (Additional Charges Apply).

END OF DOCUMENT
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    Defendant(s), Rafael Rios, has been released from federal custody.

A trial is scheduled on September 25, 2006 at Jackson, MS for the case which involves defendant(s) Rafael Rios.

Looks like he made bail.

I hope he enjoyed his time in custody so far and that he will spend much more time in jail. image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • % bucks sez he will be late for his hearing, and another 50 sez he will be in a southern country enjoying his ripped money, that he probably stashed before getting caught.

put a bullet in him NOW.

• RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Longacre,

You use pacer?
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>put a bullet in him NOW. >>

Yeah. Let's commit murder over $1,000.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Waif has a way with words. image

<< <i><< put a bullet in him NOW. >>

Yeah. Let's commit murder over $1,000. >>

In the fall of 2002 my shop got burglarized twice in under two months. The second time it happened, I slept there each night for a week while I was having iron bars installed on the windows and door, and steel reinforcing plates installed on the lower exterior wall panels. If they had come back during that period, they would be dead.

I understand his sentiment.

Russ, NCNE
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In the fall of 2002 my shop got burglarized twice in under two months. The second time it happened, I slept there each night for a week while I was having iron bars installed on the windows and door, and steel reinforcing plates installed on the lower exterior wall panels. If they had come back during that period, they would be dead. >>

I think there's a little difference between catching someone in the act -- potentially self-defense -- and gunning someone down over $1,000 much, much later.

Still, I understand wanting to give cretins their due. I just think a "bullet" is a bit more than their due under the circumstances.

Now if the police want to do it as a result of his fleeing and resisting arrest, well, that's another story. image
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭
    Rios pleads guilty to all 7 counts!

Restitution ordered!! 3 yrs probation (for each count but to run concurrently). Tethered x 6 months. 200 hrs community service. Random drug testing.

As far as the restitution, Rios is ordered to make good no later than January 10, 2009. There are several pages of victims with a combined total of nearly $37,000.

As one of the saps that tried to transact with this jerk, I am cautiously optimistic that the restitution will be timely made.

I won 10 or so auctions from Rios. Some of the coins were okay but most had undisclosed issues, filed rims, whizzing, AT (and a pretty good job at that - I wasn't certain, but the guys at Liberty coin in Lansing took a gander and were inclined to think a talented doc was at work). I sent em all back. Rios then sold them all to another sap. He simply neglected to refund my money.

The gist of Rios' crime was that he did not own the coins he auctioned. Rather, he had images of the coins and represented them to be his own. After the auction, Rios would negotiate back of final hammer with the owner. Eventually spun out of control.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This world is back asswards

There is no honor among thieves. Sorry to go off topic a little , but this was the most disturbing read I've seen for a while. Geeeeeze.. what is wrong with the world and our system of justice ?

• << <i>This world is back asswards

There is no honor among thieves. Sorry to go off topic a little , but this was the most disturbing read I've seen for a while. Geeeeeze.. what is wrong with the world and our system of justice ? >>

Justice (for what it's worth) is served in many ways, ours, theirs is surely not perfect. maybe on eday GOD will come down and say: That's it folks- I'm taking MY toy and going home now! and then we go POOF!

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This world is back asswards

There is no honor among thieves. Sorry to go off topic a little , but this was the most disturbing read I've seen for a while. Geeeeeze.. what is wrong with the world and our system of justice ? >>

Justice (for what it's worth) is served in many ways, ours, theirs is surely not perfect. maybe on eday GOD will come down and say: That's it folks- I'm taking MY toy and going home now! and then we go POOF! >>

But I've got a good lawyer and can make bail, your honor image
    Hard to chalk that up to "cultural differences". The level of depravity displayed is sickening.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>maybe on eday GOD will come down and say: That's it folks- I'm taking MY toy and going home now! and then we go POOF! >>

Funny how a misplaced space causes that to almost say that GOD has an eBay account. I assume both eBay and PayPal will be there at the end wanting their cut of His action.
    For those victims of Rios, how does it feel to learn that Rios went back to court complaining that he could not make the restitution deadline due to the economy so was given very generous terms, interest free?

To top it off, the DOJ, while sitting on $5K plus of restitution $$, says they cannot distribute any of it cuz they are moving to a new computer system that won't be ready till November 2009. I think the implementation commenced about 5 months ago.

A week or so ago, I inquired of the victim coordinator if Rios was making his progress payments in a timely manner. Probation officer was to be the monitor and apparently has been snoozing.

I have asked that the US atty seek a revised order for interest on the restitution.

Gosh, cant wait to see how our lives are enhanced with bigger fed govt!!
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surely the IRS would be interested in looking at Rios' recent income tax returns. Do you really believe that he would claim the spoils of his fraudulent activity?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe there is an online IRS "report them" system now
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Is this really a crime?

I think people may be over the top on this one.

I don't see what the guy did that is so wrong.

(my avatar is starting to take me over. help my brain is being held hostage. the 15th cannot come soon enough)
  • You do realize you can change to a different avatar already in the system at anytime, right? image
    -George
    42/92
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    This guy makes me laugh. I've got a custom avatar image lined up for download day, so i'll wait until then. This month, the 15th comes on a Saturday. Does that mean that upload day is Friday the 14th or Monday the 17th?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file