Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Is it worth the money?

During Baltimore this weekend, I plan on looking at a few key dates to upgrade my Morgan Date collection - Who here would pay $2000 to move about 5 places in the ranking? I could pretty easily move from 44 to 35 - maybe higher if I have a few beers. My ultimate goal is the set in all MS grades. But right now it is really about the positioning!

I used to not really care about the rankings, but the closer you get to the top, the more exciting the draw is! Its like crack!
My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is your set the "Morgans' Morgan's"? To answer your question. It depends. I s this your primary set or just a sideline. Would 2000 get you to all MS or just up one of the non MS coins. I don't pay big money to upgrade a point like 66 to 67. But to go from vf or au to ms I don't think 2000 is too much unless you need the $$$ for coins in another collection.

I collect dimes, but have aquired some Walkers and V-nickels. I have looked at doing the Morgan Date set with all P-mint coins, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. As soon as do a dime will come along I want!

I probably didn't answer your question, but it was fun trying.

Good luck in what ever you decide. Wish I was in Baltimore.

Later Jon
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    Yup - it is Morgan's Morgans. I also have a secondary set, the highly descriptive "MS64 Morgan Year Set", which I am seriously contemplating selling to finance Morgan's Morgans. That is my primary set.

You guessed correctly, the 1893, 1894 and 1895 are all the ones I want to upgrade. In particular, I want to go MS on the 95.

I could afford to upgrade both the 93 and 94 to MS or just the 95. I am thinking the 95 since it is the hardest to get in MS. But the 93 and 94 would give the set the biggest boost. I guess a lot depends on what I find at Baltimore.

I might try to sell "MS64 Morgan Year Set" as a set, just to see what happens. My guess is I'd be better off selling it piece-meal. There are a lot of "PQ" coins in that set.

Thanks for the input!
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    My ultimate goal is the set in all MS grades. But right now it is really about the positioning!

I used to not really care about the rankings, but the closer you get to the top, the more exciting the draw is! Its like crack!

Buy what makes you happy. Complete the set in the grades "you want". Collect the coins, not the ranking. The ranking will take care of itself.

What would you buy if your set wasn't in the Registry? I would go with that answer. image

BTW... Nice set!!

Dan
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I might try to sell "MS64 Morgan Year Set" as a set, just to see what happens. My guess is I'd be better off selling it piece-meal. There are a lot of "PQ" coins in that set. >>

Unless you can upgrade them, I don't see those coins bringing the $4K or more it will take to buy a nice 95-S in 62 if you can even find one. I'm not sure I would even consider a 95-S in 60 or 61 if you expect it to appreciate much in value.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Save the money for therapy, it sounds like you have "Registry Madness."
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    true'r words have not been spoken - and my wife agrees with you... But I did buy her an expedition, so I get a little leeway. Ha!
  • Options
    scherscher Posts: 924
    Well do to the new car and all....just kidding..buy the coins you like, coins you are proud of,buy the best you can afford..the rankings will be just fine wherever you land and you will still be proud of your collection.
    Bruce Scher
  • Options
    Goal Achieved! I picked up an 1894 S in 62 and an 1895 O in 45 at the Baltimore show today to get me to #35 but better yet, an average of 60.09 for the set! Woo Hoo! This has been a good day for me!