Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Are Lincoln Memorials cooling off?

WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it me, or are MS 66 Lincolns cooled down considerably? I took a bath the other night selling 21 MS 66 Memorial Lincolns. Common dates, yes, but nothing sold for more $8.00 Ironically, I bought some memorials recently at far below previous levels, like a MS 66 1963 for $99. And this is the third one I have seen this month at near this price. There is a 62-D struggling to break $100 right now but even with three days to go, it doubt it will sell for what they did 12 months ago.

Contrary, MS 67 and 68’s are doing well. Perhaps we “All” got Lincoln registry sets started within the same time frame that made us compete and drive the price up and now we are busy upgrading thus flooding MS 66 “Junk” on the market and going after the higher grades at all cost…Have “WE” the Lincoln registry folks done this ourselves, or is bigger than that and a falling market trend is occurring. Your opinion please!

WS
Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Comments

• ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    I would have to agree that the market is cooling off a bit for the Memorials. Everything I have from 1980 to present is 67, 68 or 69 so I can't say that I have purchased any 66's for those years. As for pre 1980 coins, I believe they are cooling off...particularly the 60's and 70's. People have been pushing the pops up which I think is one of the reasons you can pick them up cheaper now. I also agree with you on a "rush" of registry set builders (me being one of them) probably ramped up the competition and we made each other pay more for our coins image

I would even go as far as to say that lincoln wheats 34-58 are cooling off as well.

• SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Bob,
    As a long time Lincoln cent collector including the entire memorial series, I've never even thought of spending more than $1 for my memorial coins. True, they are not slabbed, but based on comparisons with some of my slabbed wheats, I'd say most of mine would grade out at MS65-MS66. But, somehow the perceived grade doesn't really bother me as far as the collection goes. It is the completeness of having all dates and mintmarks of these coins that
    I enjoy. I guess to some, that challenge really isn't very meaningful as compared to striving for a top pop. To me, if the coin looks nice then I'm satisfied. Steve image
  • Wow, cooling off on the MS66's. I don't know for sure. It would sure be nice though.
    if it is cooling off, I'll have to go look and see if I can upgrade anything in my set.
  • Hey Bob,
    I must agree with all that you think might be happening. Just recently I was feeling like the majority of
    the Memorial market seemed to be cooling off. I wasn't sure if I was correct but your thoughts seem to
    coincide. And, if this really is happening, I agree that,we, the registry folks, probably contributed.

I hope Lincolns Rule will reply on this. I'm sure he can add some further insight.

RegistryNut image
  • Yeah, a ton of early 60's have been for sale lately. They have definitely cooled. Sorry watersport, but ms66's of the zinc cents were never worth more than $8 to start with. They are just too available and cheap even in ms67. As for the overall marked tougher ms66's from the 70's are still fine. ms67's sell fine. I sold 6 ms67 70-p's and 7 ms67 78-d's all in one month. Also sold 4 ms68 84-d's over four months or so. The last of the coins from Northland's collection sold for very strong prices on ebay last week (sheldonshadows) except for one, the 97-p. That was a bargain. I don't think people realize how tough it is. Also Ron's coins in Heritage sold for very strong prices. I tried to buy back the 83-p I sold him but couldn't. I don't know who's buying these as they don't show up in reg sets either. I wonder if there are some who buy from Heritage but don't buy off ebay. That is kind of dumb as they're cheaper usually on ebay! Oh, another thing, the entire #3 set Kelly's Memorials has just about been all sold within just a few months too!
  • There are still a couple of strong registry buyers out there. The best of my set was purchased and added here.
    S & L Lincolns

David
  • Lincolns should start to go back up as the US Mint begins new design in 2009. At lot of people will be trying to finish their 1909-2008 set.
    image Scottish Fold Gold
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the 34-44 wheats in MS 66 just took a hit down today according to the price guide. A whole lot of red on the price guide!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes! Lincolns are crashing! PM me with high grade Lincolns you want to sell!!image
    Doug