Home Metal Detecting
Options

ENTRY/NOMINATION THREAD: March , 2006 "QUALITY" AWARD (Best Coin/Jewelry/Relic/Wildcard fi

Please enter your finds (or nominate somebody else's finds) for this month's five Metal Detecting Forum "Quality" awards:

The five "quality" award categories are:

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token
Best U.S. Coin/Token
Best Jewelry Item
Best Relic/Other
Best "Wild Card" Find

There is no limit on the number of entries per forum member. If your find seems humble in comparison to some of the others, don't sweat it- we like to see what everybody's found, be it humble or fantastic. Just post your item and a brief story of how you found it, or a link to your thread about the find, if there was one. If you can, post a picture of your item (small to medium-sized pictures of single items, please, rather than large groupings, since the pictures will be used in the poll threads at the end of the month). If you make a neat find and do not post it here, we might miss it later when we put the award polls up, so be sure and post your better finds here even if you already posted your own thread about them. Also, let us know what category you're entering for.

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token: This includes all world coinage with the exception of US minted coins obviously.

Best U.S. Coin/Token: this category is pretty self-explanatory. Note that it is for detector finds of coins minted in the U.S from 1776 to present - if a coin or token was found in circulation or by eyesight, it belongs in the "Wild Card" category. The award is for single coin finds, though if a cache is found all in the same hole and/or same container at the same time, it may be entered as a single item.

Best Jewelry Item: also pretty straightforward, but if you find coin jewelry, you can choose to put it here or in the Coin category. Also, if you find lost jewelry and return it to its proper owner, you still get to enter it in the competition, even though it wasn't "finders keepers". (See if you can get a picture of it, though).

Best Relic/Other: this category pretty much covers anything found with a detector that isn't a coin or jewelry.

Best "Wild Card" Item: this category is only for finds made without a detector. It may include coins or jewelry, but if you found those with your detector, they go in the categories above. This is for surface "eyeball" finds, circulation coin finds, and pretty much anything else, including nonmetallic finds like arrowheads, bottles, fossils, gemstones, gold nuggets, minerals, natural history specimens, pottery, prehistoric artifacts, and so on. Be sure and mention that the item you are entering is a "Wild Card" find, so we'll know which category to put it in when the polls go up at the end of the month.
Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Non-US coin:

Zot's Danish 4 Skilling 1854. Found in Denmark.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    US Coin

• Options
    Relic:

This is a cuff size button. The D stands for Dragoon. Dragoon was the name of the mounted soldier groups before they were called cavalry at the start of the Civil War. This button dates to the 1840's maybe 1830's

• Options
    My WalMart Self Checkout find... Wildcard Find
    WalMart Find

• Options
    Here is mine for best coin/token:

Good for one drink token

other side

HH,Tom
  • Options
    My best relic for the month:
    1884 general service button (Indian Wars) referred to as a chicken or turkey neck eagle button

(link to original post)

Jewelry for March:
    925 silver ring with what appears to be blue/green opals

Link to original post.

925 silver bracelet

Link to original post.

• Options
    I'll put the 1837 Large Cent in the entry for US coin for this month......It still needs some cleaning though...

• Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Wild card find...Another CoinStar keeper.

• Options
    That's pretty cool....I wonder how someone could have left it behind?...Couldn't have been a collector, huh?
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That's pretty cool....I wonder how someone could have left it behind?...Couldn't have been a collector, huh? >>

I seem to get one CoinStar keeper a month. Usually I get stuff like this one that I found last night.
  • Options
    Best US Coin/Token

Veley Dairy. Good for one pint of milk. 1920's

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Original thread

Relics:

Large decorative flat button

Little decorative ball type button.

Greatful Dead bear (Thanks for the ID Distelrath)

Spanish officer's shoe buckle of the American Revolutionary War period
    (Thanks for the ID John)

A very royal, British-looking lion (Thanks for the ID Rob)

Tiger Cub neckerchief slide (Thanks for the ID Laserart)

Jewelry:

Silver braided ring

14kt gold ring with opal

Coin/Token US:

1943 Dime

1860 Dime

1804 Half Cent

Green River whiskey token

Coin/Token Foreign:

King George Half Penny (1729-1754)

1722 Wood's Hibernia half penny(??Ireland, but in the Red Book as US colonial)

1824 Mexico 1/2 Reale

Wildcard:

Parking lot find. 18kt gold earing modified by Goodyear

Large shell

Native American artifact

• Options
    Best Jewelry Item

14K Ear ring with two stones (?)
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Best Relic/Other

<SPAN class=blackmedium>Medieval Torture Device ?

image</SPAN>
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage