Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grading Standards Q: MS Coin so "ticky" it becomes AU58?

Do graders dip below the MS60 threshold for unc coins that are ticked up so bad, they have trouble calling it MS?

edit:

e.g. an unc Morgan dollar from a mint sealed bag that was handled as if someone used it in a pillow fight

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    That would never fly, since everyone expects that AU58 coins will be attractive.

Basically, lack of wear trumps all other factors.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Sounds reasonable. I would think that if you beat a coin up enough that it ceases to be MS anymore.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most coins like you describe end up in MS60 or MS61 holders. An AU58 typically is an MS62-MS63 with the slightest bit of rub, probably from cabinet friction of old collectors and not actual circulation but it's still rub. This is one reason you will see AU58's sell for more than MS60-MS61's. The other reason being folks playing the upgrade game.

The flip side to this is many MS62-MS63 coins are actually AU58's. Stick to the old but true phrase..."buy the coin not the holder" and you'll be safe.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not? They market grade AU-55's to 58 as MS62-64...why shouldn;t they market grade a MS 60-61 as an AU?

Actually, I don't think that either should be done, but I am just a forlorn voice crying out in the wilderness.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why not? They market grade AU-55's to 58 as MS62-64...why shouldn;t they market grade a MS 60-61 as an AU?

Actually, I don't think that either should be done, but I am just a forlorn voice crying out in the wilderness. >>

Personally, as long as there is going to be market grading and the numerical scale attempts to convey relative value, there should be some overlap in numerical designation between high-end AUs and low-end MS coins.

I would prefer that we NOT have market grading and use the more strict, technical definitions. But if the industry is committed to market grading, then I'd rather see an obviously PQ superslider designated AU-62 than see that non-MS coin get the MS-62 designation.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Why not? They market grade AU-55's to 58 as MS62-64...why shouldn;t they market grade a MS 60-61 as an AU?

Actually, I don't think that either should be done, but I am just a forlorn voice crying out in the wilderness. >>

Personally, as long as there is going to be market grading and the numerical scale attempts to convey relative value, there should be some overlap in numerical designation between high-end AUs and low-end MS coins.

I would prefer that we NOT have market grading and use the more strict, technical definitions. But if the industry is committed to market grading, then I'd rather see an obviously PQ superslider designated AU-62 than see that non-MS coin get the MS-62 designation. >>

I agree with this. IMO, shared by many, a technical unc is MS60 or 61 and is ofter fugly. An AU58 has rub - not just contact marks - and is usually nicer looking. I guess that you could have a fugly AU58 - lots of contact marks WITH rub, but I just haven't encountered that many in plastic.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Ticks alone will not dip it to AU. Without wear, it cannot go there. However, MS60 is the bucket the broad band of ugliest of technically uncirculated live. That said, the converse is definitely not true. There are MS62 coins in EVERY TPGs' holders that have some rub. They are market graded and excused for reasons like cabinet friction.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    " Do graders dip below the MS60 threshold for unc coins that are ticked up so bad, they have trouble calling it MS?"

No, that's why MS60 coins look so bad.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen many AU58 double eagles in top tier slabs that are really mint state but are extremely baggy. Not every AU58 coin is attractive.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    technically (as I understand it), if it's really unc it'd go from MS60 to being bodybagged for being damaged.
  • Options
    HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
    I think most people would expect a AU-58 to be less baggy than a 60-62-

If it was so baggy it needed to go AU, it should max out at 55.

However- I think most Baggy MS coins become the 60-62 range, with the AU-58 coins usually looking better on first glance.

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    If a mint state coin is "market graded" as an AU because of too many hits and blemishes, IMO it should be 55, not 58.

In reality such a coin should be graded MS-60.

I generally think the existing grading system should be left alone, but I make one exception in that high AU and low MS grades should have some overlap. I don't think we need to take MS below 60, but additional AU grades from 61 to 63 would probably suffice.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins of that ilk will probably end up in MS 60 holders. Eventually, they will probably end up being sold to mass marketers because no one else will buy them.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I asked this question on the Q&A forum in vitually the same terms and HomerunHall
    said it would not downgrade a coin from MS-60.

I do have some small doubt since there are coins so covered with marking they can
    hide small luster breaks.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

If a coin is so beat up that it can't be justified as MS60, it would be bodybagged for damaged.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    I have often wondered about some of the Moderncrap from mint sets.

For example, you can find 71-P Kennedy's in mint sets that look all the world like AU50.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I've seen at least a small number of coins which appeared to be uncirculated, but which were apparently down-graded to AU58 due solely to a multitude of hits/marks. At a certain point, too much of the surface is missing for even a technically-uncirculated coin to be graded mint state.

Don't forget that, on the other hand, coins which are pulled out of change and which have technically been circulated, frequently receive (even high) uncirculated grades. image
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An older dealer and I were discussing this subject on Monday. I bought a bag of 1902 O dollars several years ago and some of the coins were so heavily marked, that I had to discount them to AU prices to order to sell. Sometimes you encounter these coins and you can tell they are uncirculated, but buyers won't purchase them at MS60 money. I've seen several coins in AU58 holders which I thought were MS60 coins that had been downgraded due to heavy marks.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If a coin is so beat up that it can't be justified as MS60, it would be bodybagged for damaged. >>

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sent 16 of these out of the same roll in ...
    9 came back AU58
    7 came back MS62-MS64

Subjective is right !
    Scientific is just a guess !
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I sent 16 of these out of the same roll in ...
    9 came back AU58
    7 came back MS62-MS64 >>

The AU58 coins are due to roll friction, not bag marks. Even though the coins are technically mint state, if there is friction showing on the high points, the coin will be MARKET GRADED as AU58.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    All wear is is a conglomeration of marks on the coin. Some are fine (friction), some are course (bag/contact). Metal is lost with each interaction. You get enough marks and you get traditional "wear". Seems to me that the difference between MS and AU is a continuum, not a balck/white distinction.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file