Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My 1st Body bag coin Wheel Mark???

jabbajabba Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A wheel mark will be a patch (usually curved) of freshly exposed metal--it comes from a coin getting stuck in a counter and rubbed by the counting wheel/coins that ran over it.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    And many times there will be a thin discolored mark (black) from a wheel.
  • Options
    What Jeremy said.....
  • Options
    Is there a safe way to remove wheel marks?
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>Is there a safe way to remove wheel marks? >>

Ummmmmm, NO

• Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Washie Wheel Mark

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought these were wheel marks but after taking a photo I wonder if they're not from the crimping?

Anyhow, here's a pic of what I thought a wheel mark looks like.

• Options

<< <i>A wheel mark will be a patch (usually curved) of freshly exposed metal--it comes from a coin getting stuck in a counter and rubbed by the counting wheel/coins that ran over it.

Jeremy >>

Instead of being a patch of freshly exposed metal, it can often be a patch of hairlines.
  • Options
    this buff has one from 3 to 5 o`clock.

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    Interesting pictures of the wheel marks did not know what to look for I am sure its deep in the coin and cannot be removed
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    This:

and this:

Are from the coin rolling machine and not necessarily the counting machine. A couple of different critters where one counts and then rolls the coin into paper rolls and the other simply counts the coins into a bag.

Here's mine:

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    So, how much discount would there be for counting wheel damage, if it was not excessively ugly?
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Here's a 1910 Liberty that has wheel damage from a counter or crimper.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    Not sure if this helps. Old scan. I don't own the coins now.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Shoot, and here I was thinking it got bagged for cartwheel luster. image

Good stuff, I learned something new, I did not know they could separate this kind of damage.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's mine.
    FOR SALE!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    I'm well-schooled on "wheel marks" and there are several good examples here; however, I'm not convinced the 1945 quarter is a wheel mark. Couldn't that be from die wear? You often see the same effect on Mercury dimes. On the quarter I'm not seeing the movement of metal, only the flattening of lettering.

What do others think?
    Garrow
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    On the 45 it could very well have been a bad strike on the coin but the residual black marks are not from the minting process, especially with the annealing marks inside the crossbar of the T.

Many Eisenhower Dollars exhibit these flat letters on the motto, specifically IN and TR but I would not lay that to counting wheel damage since it takes quite a bit of pressure to "crush" one of these coins. Friction damage due to a jam would also leave metal moved around so I really don't know for sure regarding the "flat" letters. I have seen Washingtons with the flat areas on the letters of LIBERTY but there does not appear to be anything really wrong with the coin.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file