Home U.S. Coin Forum

1948 Franklin vs. 1948D MS66 FBL

Is the 1948 Franklin Undervalued ?
Do you think the 1948D in MS66 FbL is just as scarce as the 1948P ?Do you agree the 1948P should deserve a higher price equal or higher than the 1948D in the pcgs price book, Based on mintages
and low pops?
What is the hardest Franklin to find in MS FBL?

Comments

• RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think all Franklins are undervalued right now, but the 48-P no more than the others. The 48-D is tougher to find in 66FBL than the 48, even moreso with some eye appeal. The population reports bear this out 97 vs 247 in 66FBL, as does the price guide $1500 vs. $750.

Interesting that the guide lists a 1948-D in 66 non-FBL at only $750 vs. $1500 for FBL. All 48-Ds are FBL. Bet you the pop of 2 in 66 non-FBL are old holders.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.

• << <i>All 48-Ds are FBL. Bet you the pop of 2 in 66 non-FBL are old holders. >>

Well, all (or the overwhelming majority) of 48-Ds are FBL as struck. Hits on the bell lines would account for some being slabbed non FBL. As far as PCGS's use of the designation, I'd have to see the coin in hand. They're all over the map.

John
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Not only due the population reports indicate that the 48-D is scarcer in MS66, so it is in the real world.

I probably see 10 GEM 48-P's for every one 48-D.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    The D mint coins tend to be very baggy....

and this is observed across many series....

The 51d Frankie possibly being the baggiest.... These coins even in GEM grades are probably going to have a few more small hits that are seen..

in Washingtons, the D mint coins of the late 40's into the 50's tend to be baggy, with the 55d being the worst for quality, which is why a 55d Washie has yet
    to be made in a Mega GEM MS67 holder..... The 55d Washies are very baggy coins.....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • THE 48-P is the more commen coin. It took me years to find a 48-D I liked for my set,

during that time I added a half dozen pretty neat 1948 PCGS 65 fbl's and 3

beautiful MS-66's . But that keeper 48-D alway's seemed to elude me .

I would say without hesitation , the 48-D Franklin is a semi-key date !
  • .............the hardest Franklin to find with FBL is the 1953-S
  • TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭
    Fresh Fish, uh I mean image To The Forums! imageimage

TorinoCobra71

• RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ozzie - Just noticed, first post! Welcome!
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>Ozzie - Just noticed, first post! Welcome! >>

And goodbye.
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Such potential....

he started his life with a wonderful question about Frankies......

THE BAM!!!!!!!! His wheels fell off.........

It was a setup from the start... He probably collects those dreadful hairyhead coins....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Me thinks it was his second post that inspired our fave Smotis to Bam him- i found it amusing last night that fresh meat came out of nowhere accusing bribery amongst dealers/TPG's. I was hoping that one would run for a bit to see where his info was coming from.

We should let him back so we can cook him properly..

• ...........should have known ..................

"what's the rarest F.B.L ? "

like anyone on the planet would'nt know that
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I looked in the mirror this morning,

I looked awfully baggy too. I guess 1938

was a bad year for bears.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights