Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does your wife know about all of your coins?

let's see who tells the truth here!!!

Comments

• Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    Knows I have them, doesn't know how much I spent though.

And amazingly enough she actually like the coins I just bought from CoinLt.
  • Options
    I sold them before she could find out how much I spent on them.image

Tom
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    Not really ....... she knows I have a bunch and that they are all over the place and when I die she will probably throw them away!
  • Options
    yes

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surprisingly enough she does. She even knows what I paid for them. I originally thought this could cause problems but she's been very receptive to it and even likes to sit and look at them with me.....sometimes. Her favorite coin is the Franklin Half Dollar (forgive her lord, she knowith not) because she likes the big bell on the reverse. It makes it fun. I'm even doing a Dansco of Frankies for her. image
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heck no. She could care less about them individually but is concerned about how little is available to spend afterwards. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Just repeat after me....one mistake and its...

"HALF OF EVERYTHING! HALF OF EVERYTHING! HALF OF EVERYTHING!" image

Now you might want to rethink how interested you all want them. image
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I am not sure if she knows all of the details (although she may well find out because I had a few sale transactions that went on this year's tax return). Mrs. Longacre hasn't taken much interest in reviewing our tax return in the past, but with my luck, she will take a look at this year's. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    Coins on TAX RETURNS??? Surely that is an attempt at humor?!? image
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yip, she's in the Loop.............
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    My wife knows very little about my coins and could care less........................unless....
    .....she hears me talking about a "Certain Coin" and the value, the shes all ears image
    *JE RENAIS DE MES CENDRES*
    "Always Do Right, This Will Gratify Some And Astonish The Others" - Mark Twain
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Coins on TAX RETURNS??? Surely that is an attempt at humor?!? image >>

Saint-- I assume you're joking. I always include everything on my tax return, without exception. I am sure you do too, but there are probably lots of people out there who don't, unfortunately.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    Now you're just being silly. Who in the world would do a dern fool thing like tell his wife about all his coins. Just wave cash in front of her after you sell--not all of the cash of course --not if you want to keep it.

CG
  • Options
    Oh...I put EVERYTHING on my tax return. It would be against the law to do otherwise.

(who IS this guy?) image
  • Options

<< <i>Coins on TAX RETURNS??? Surely that is an attempt at humor?!? image >>

Of course. He certainly reported the LOSSES!! image
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, my wife is also my banker, so my answer is yes.

All coins purchased need to pass the "does the wife thinks it's pretty" test? Not a bad test actually, I don't buy any brown or dark toned coins any more!

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

And she is very surprised when I sell some.

When I tell her its to raise money to buy other ones I need, she seems satisfied.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    OpusOpus Posts: 282
    Wife: YOU WENT TO THE COIN SHOW AND CAME HOME WITH $1.09 AND IT ONLY COST US $489!!!!!!!!!

(fly eagle cent, 3 cent nickel, liberty head nickel and a trade dollar)

Me: Well, yeah? Is that a problem?????
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
  • Options
    Of course she does, just like she knows about all my other women

(Just kidding. I"m single)
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    Not only does she know about all of them, but I try to keep her up-to-date. In fact, I recently completed a document detailing how the collection should be dispensed with upon an untimely demise. I hope like heck she wouldn't be burdened with such a task but at least it's documented now.

She used to frown and complain a bit if I told her I spent $50 or $100 on a coin. Now, I can tell her I spent $1000 or more on a coin and she usually just rolls her eyes. It's very rare I'll spend that much on a coin and it hasn't happened that often but it's not uncommon for a couple hundred or so to slip through my fingers and she'll give nothing more than a tired grimace (like saying, "Oh, well...there he goes again!").
  • Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    She knows about all the coins that I have told her about.
    Seriously though, if it is an issue, there is a way around this dilemna. At the Baltimore show in December, I bought a strand of black pearls from Michael Annis. His table is right next to Dick Osburn's table, where I had just spent twice as much as I did on the pearls. And a couple of years ago, I bought an absolutely stunning white and yellow 18K gold bracelet from Brian Kuzmar, who used to have a lot of very nice estate stuff. Going to coin shows is never an issue for me.
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    No wife but my girlfriend does know of all the coins in my collection. What she doesn't know are the ones I'm planning on buying image
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife actually encourages my hobby. She knows I collect capped bust half dimes and likes it when I go to the coin store. She likes to go to the store with me, just to see my enjoyment of the hobby. When I told her that one collector owns two examples of the rarest die marriage in the series (1833 LM-5/V-10), she said, "I can buy one of them for you." For this reason and many more, what a woman!
  • Options
    NumismanicNumismanic Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does your wife know about all of your coins? >>

Only the ones the postal worker delivers to the door when I'm not there. image
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think she knows about all she really wants to know about. I get the feeling that if she really wanted to know she could find out, but then the resulting heart attack would be too painful, therefore......she is happy knowing what she knows and that in turn makes me happy....

Hey---thanks for asking.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

<< <i>Does your wife know about all of your coins? >>

Yes image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    she helped me write the check for thwe most recent purchasesimage
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My wife actually encourages my hobby. She knows I collect capped bust half dimes and likes it when I go to the coin store. She likes to go to the store with me, just to see my enjoyment of the hobby. When I told her that one collector owns two examples of the rarest die marriage in the series (1833 LM-5/V-10), she said, "I can buy one of them for you." For this reason and many more, what a woman! >>

Sounds like a good lady. That's 2 for 2 on capped bust half dime collectors with cool wives lol
  • Options
    jpkinlajpkinla Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    do you know about all your wives , et em, "coins" ! image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    Ha, no. Not all. Knows I buy them but can't tell what's new and whats' old. Just tell her it's for retirement... it's an investment honey.
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    She knows I collect and that I have quite a few but not a clue on how much I've spent. It's kind of a don't ask, don't tell policy we have going. Occasionally I'll pull out one she hasn't seen before and I can tell she's wondering if I haven't shown it to her because it cost a lot.

Millertime
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yep, she goes shopping with me quite often and has also bought me a few really nice coins for my type set and my Morgan set.
  • Options
    taxbuster1040taxbuster1040 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
    My wife knows pretty much what i buy. Sometimes she is amazed at the price. She does enjoy looking at them when she sees how shiny they are. As far as including coins on taxes, I have prepared probably over 10,000 tax returns over the past 20 years. The only tax return that i have ever put coins on is, you guessed it my own...... that's only because I am afraid of being someone's b....tch in jail......
  • Options
    Kinda hard not to notice the big coin cabinet in the computer room or the delivery of packages...........image
    She's aware of most of my purchases.Even the big ones.
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    The only time she shows a real interest is when we want to buy a painting and wonders how many I'll have to sell to pay for it. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    My wife finally got the bug a few years ago. For the past 3 years she has gone to the ANA Summer Seminar with me. She took the Coins in the Classroom class and now teaches numismatic enrichment courses for the local elementary kids. Now she knows everything I have and buy. Actually, it's good because she understands their value, both numismatically and investment wise, and doen't complain too much when I get something.
    Regards
    Gary
    We are always better off than we deserve. image
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    My wife know about my coins? She knows about my coins BEFORE I know as she spends more on my coins than I do. She is extremely supportive of my collecting. For Christmas, she bought me a 1860 Indian cent, POINTED BUST in a PCGS MS-64 holder. What other wife would buy you a Dahlonega mint half eagle for your birthday? image

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What other wife would buy you a Dahlonega mint half eagle for your birthday? image

Does she have a sister? image
  • Options
    The wife knows I buy coins and she can see the hoard growing, but if she ever got wind of how much I've spent......................ouch!!

BTW...each one of my coins cost about 20 bucks.image

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Yes and she know how much I spend on each since she handles the finances.......she make not give a rats behind about them and she may not always be happy when I buy them.....but she still supports me and my hobby 95% of the time. image
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    My "collection" consists of my circulated Barbers in the Dansco. It doesn't consist of all of the slabs in the PO box. image
  • Options
    I've met TJKillians wife - she's a coin collectors dream. image
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She is knowledgable and accepting enough that I tell her all now. I had to make enough on my Lincoln aution a couple of years ago to add a room to the house. That and my telling her I got a 1995-W ASE proof from the Mint when it was issued has her thinking I'm brilliant. image

(You guys won't ell her about that other stuff, will you??)

• Options
    What coins ???

Yep she knows I have them but she doesn't really know about them. That is the main reason I keep detailed records for the family in the event of......
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I don't tell that witch a thing....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    What coins?

That's the ANSWER!!!image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file