Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANA Numismatist - just got the January 2006 edition today (1/31/2006)

I received my January 2006 ANA Numismatist today (1/31/2006). Wasn't happy at all. Looked at my address and noticed it was mailed on 12/28/2005. I can't believe that it takes a month to mail a magazine - the United States Postal Service must be in inefficiency and redundancy mode again (or as usual). Called the ANA and they've been getting calls regarding this problem (suprise, suprise). Here's my question - has anyone on the forum been having this problem as well?
DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.

Comments

• Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    Yes. I got mine last week. It was also mailed in December.
  • Options
    I got mine yesterday....but I have no idea when it was mailed.
    Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I just received a copy Saturday. I didn't notice what month's issue it was (and it's not in front of me now) but I remember Donn Pearlman's column on the last page was about the mannequin called Mrs. Moneypenny in the ANA Museum. Was that the January issue?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just received a copy Saturday. I didn't notice what month's issue it was (and it's not in front of me now) but I remember Donn Pearlman's column on the last page was about the mannequin called Mrs. Moneypenny in the ANA Museum. Was that the January issue? >>

Nope - Donn Pearlmann's column was about the ANA show in Las Vegas. Probably the December issue.
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I have to check mine. I usually get them very early in the month.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got my February issue yesterday but still haven't seen the January issue - great bunch of clowns running that organization, eh?

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options

<< <i>Got my February issue yesterday but still haven't seen the January issue - great bunch of clowns running that organization, eh? >>

Well, I called them (ANA) this afternoon - comes right down to the Postal Service (also known as a branch of the Department of Waste, Mismanagement, Inefficiency, and Redundancy). These clowns get their rate hike and we get this? I bet some clubs aren't happy, either (especially with coin show info). And while I'm at it, I had this problem with getting copies of NN, and also, my mom-in-law just got her copy of a newspaper from Kentucky dated 1/10/2006 yesterday, and a copy dated 1/24/2006 today.

As I said many times (but the first time on this forum), "The United States Postal Service has got to be, probably, the only government enity who is doing 19th Century stuff in a 21st Century world. It is because of this and also, their rather negative, bureaucratic demeanor (as some some in the forum have reported), that e-mail is kicking their image's!"image

If these clowns want another increase, we, as taxpayers and patrons, need to tell them flatly NO!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Got my February issue today, and my January issue about three weeks ago.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    My February one came on 1/30.image
  • Options

<< <i>I didn't notice what month's issue it was (and it's not in front of me now) but I remember Donn Pearlman's column on the last page was about the mannequin called Mrs. Moneypenny in the ANA Museum. Was that the January issue? >>

That's the February issue.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>Got my February issue today, and my January issue about three weeks ago. Russ, NCNE >>

Well, Russ, then you're lucky, at lease it came as scheduled - and my situation is not unique, according to the ANA. As I stated in a previous post, the ANA is getting calls on this - for those who are getting your Numismatists late - call the ANA - 1-800-367-9723 - and ask for the editor of the Numismatist, named Barbara Gregory, and let her know what's going on.
  • Options

<< <i>My February one came on 1/30.image >>

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    maybe the Life Members are getting preferential treatment?image
  • Options

<< <i>maybe the Life Members are getting preferential treatment? >>

Nah, I'm an annual renewal member. I just treat my postal people with respect and don't whine, cry, and rag about their service, so they take good care of me.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    My Feb came today.
  • Options

<< <i>maybe the Life Members are getting preferential treatment?image >>

If that was the case, then I, as a Life Member, am getting third class (Wal-Mart style) treatment image.

Really, the only difference between regular and life member is that the regulars are more likely than not to get gouged in dues, unlike the life members, for obvious reasons. As far as services goes, there is no difference in quality - they (ANA) just want money.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Yikes, I haven't looked at last month's yet! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>maybe the Life Members are getting preferential treatment? >>

Nah, I'm an annual renewal member. I just treat my postal people with respect and don't whine, cry, and rag about their service, so they take good care of me. Russ, NCNE >>

Well, Russ - maybe your postal people are actually doing their jobs (a rarity with the Postal Service these days). Seems mine are rather incompetent. As for the life member thing - I became a life member (LM) in 2000 when the cost was $750. Now its $1,000 to be a LM. Of course, I didn't pay $750 - more like $660 ($10 off for every year as a regular member (since 1991)). $1,000 is hard to swallow for most, even I. But lets face it - dues are always subject to increase. And I might be talking politics here, but it seems that when these numismatic organizations and coin clubs raise their dues, is it really warranted? Have they tried to hold down costs without sacrificing the quality of service that the members are getting? One of my platforms in the Central States Numismatic Society election, which I am a candidate, is that I will oppose any and all dues increases unless it is of last resort! I feel that the ANA is porking up like our wonderful government. And its ridiculous!
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received mine at least a few weeks ago.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

<< <i>If these clowns want another increase, we, as taxpayers and patrons, need to tell them flatly NO! >>

Those "clowns" didn't get this rate increase nor did they ask for it. This recent 2 cent hike was passed by Congress and the funds go directly into the general revenue fund. IOW, to be wasted on more pork for the scumbags in Congress. It's a TAX, get it? Another TAX, but they found a way to have the sheep blame somebody else. Sheesh!!

The Postal Service didn't ask for this raise and they are self supporting. Complain about junk mail all you want, but that's what supports the system and keeps our costs quite low.

You try to deliver a letter across the country in 3 days for 37 cents. What would Fed-Ex charge for the same service?

The truth is, the Post Office is a great deal for us, easily the most efficient branch of our government. They are understaffed and overworked for the most part and that goes back to our Congress critters. Complain to them, don't dump on the Post Office.

Were your magazines shipped at some super low bulk rate? It doesn't even make common sense that everyone would receive the same issue late accross the board. I suspect there is more at the bottom of this than just the Post Office.

No, I don't work for the Post Office or have any affiliation with them, but I've gotten great service for years and I treat them with respect whenever I interact with them. You'd be surprised how far a smile goes sometimes.

"Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    I received my February issue today.
    Cheers,
    Michael
  • Options
    Deadhorse is dead on. I've shipped somewhere north of 5000 packages through the USPS over the years and have had a grand total of three lost. On balance, they do a damned fine job.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file