Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can one tell from a picture telltale signs of cleaning?

From just a picture (please refer to enclosed picture) can one tell if a coin is naturally just bright or if there are any telltale signs of a cleaning?

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 173 year old silver coin should not be white like this coin. As a minimum I'd say it was dipped.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not harshly cleaned but definitely dipped.
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    I agree, but don't count on a picture to give you answers. Remember, the seller controls what you see and may be hiding the bad parts of the coin through lighting, angle, focus or doctoring the picture.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    This is not a photo but a scan. Scans tend to hide hairlines, and also dull the coin so if it has been polished you wouldn't know by looking at a scan.

If you want my honest opinion the coin looks like it has altered surfaces (be it polished or whizzed, or cleaned). See how there is no metal flow lines around the bust (it's flat/dull in the fields) but as you get closer to/around the stars and rim there is some evidence of flow lines? A coin in this purported state of preservation should exhibit some flow lines.

Just my 10 cents image

• Options
    HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
    I was also thinking flow lines-

you can see them between the stars and rim, but not in fields.

I would guess dipped with light rub cleaning

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Copper is sometimes obvious like this coin, which the dealer is convinced is au natural.image I bought it anyway. Silver you sometimes need to tilt under a good light like halogen.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What has been said above.

A picture can also hide myriad problems that you could see if you could simply turn the coin in the light if you had it in hand.

Pictures are okay, but not great as grading tools.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    Can one tell from a picture telltale signs of cleaning?

sometimes but it depends on the coin type biz strike or proof and lighting etc
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was also thinking flow lines-

you can see them between the stars and rim, but not in fields. >>

I believe those are die fatigue lines, not flow lines. Fairly common on Bust coinage, like this:

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    From just a picture (please refer to enclosed picture)

overdipped WAY overdipped and harshly chemically cleaned and also a wipe job

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file