Home U.S. Coin Forum

For the numismatic researchers (pro and non-pro)--where do you start when trying to find an answer?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I posted another thread because I wanted to find out more about Lee Hewitt's Numismatic Credit Bulletin issued during the 1930s. I saw an advertisement for it in a book that I was reading (there was no further information about it), and I was curious as to exactly what it was, what types of services Hewitt provided, what the market was like at the time for the types of services offered, etc.

No one on the boards had additional information, so I decided to research it on my own. Then I realized that I had no clue where to start. If this had been a tax law question, I would have immediately pulled out my tax code, regulations, researched the legislative history, jumped on Westlaw and dug up old cases and rulings, etc. However, in the coin field, things don’t seem as structured. I am now sitting here completely baffled as to where I should begin.

Should I check out QDB’s History of US Coinage and see if it is mentioned? Should I try a Google search? Is there another searchable database that would have this sort of information? Should I leave the research to the professionals and pay the $500/hour just to satisfy my curiosity? Any thoughts on where to begin would be appreciated.
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    I usually start here (Conder knows everything), or with a Google search. Then I use the local public library system (I can search for books via the internet for about 20-30 libraries in my area). However, if you are an ANA member, I believe you have free access to their library, which may be your best bet for something obscure.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • When I have questions for which I can't find the answers, I start by emailing contacts who may know. Even if no one can provide an answer, a referral is often forthcoming for more help. When I wanted to know more about a coin from Reiver, it took one email, a referral, and some terrific material was learned. After posting it in a thread last night, forum member Mozin volunteered to help. In a few days, I will know a lot more about the history of my new 1806 O.126 than possibly even Mr. Reiver knew!
  • Well, since you have Westlaw, how about checking LEXIS?? They have smoe pretty good archival stuff, no?

Although, like you I use Lexis for legal research they do have a good newpsaper/periodicals section?? Mabye you'll get a hit there?? Or maybe it does not go back far enough...

Anyway, just a thought...image
    Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

• krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I'd start with the ANA Library, then I'd try the online databases I can access via my library (and there are many), then I'd ask Pistareen for ideas on what to do next. image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• I agree -- this is a search (really) for a serial publication. Library databases are the place to start, and either the ANA or ANS libraries will have both: (a) access to a large number of international library search engines, and (b) possibly have the item on their shelves.

Life got you down? Listen to John Coltrane.
  • HootHoot Posts: 867
    I'd also give the ANA library a call - they can be quite helpful. You might also call Charlie Davis who deals in numismatic literature. He is an incredible wealth of knowledge and can usually find something if you are interested in owning it.

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman
  • PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of paying the professionals $500/hour, but that's just me. image

I suspect the ad was from a periodical. Go find the periodical at ANA, ANS, or elsewhere. Most coin trade papers pre WWII reviewed newcomers (sometimes quite uncharitably). Figure out when it began and look in the Numismatist. Look in Scrapbook -- a natural place to find more info about a Hewitt enterprise. Check QDB's History of the ANA.

Google will likely not help you in the least.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also check with the Chicago Coin Club, some of those folks would know a lot about Hewitt.

As for the "one" place to find out something, there is no such beast. But over time I think you can develop a knack for finding things, a lot of it is just experience and networking with other researchers.

• PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭✭
    Might also try www.coincats.com

They may be able to help you or point you in the right direction. Pretty extensive inventory of catalogs and reference materials.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For this particular question, I would definitely try to have it asked on the Internet email list, E-Sylum. I just "joined" this group a few weeks ago because it is a wonderful source of interesting and obscure economic information. Once a week an email is sent to members with a bunch of tidbits compiled by the editor. By the way, I put joined in quotes because joining this group is free. It's part of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society. The web site, woith information about E-Sylum is here. I think that virtually everyone who is a serious numismatic researcher (and many who are not but simply want to enjoy the fruits of their labor = me) are members. So I think the odds of someone knowing the answer to your question are less than 100% but surely greater than 0%.

Mark
    Mark

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file