Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEW '05 Krause Catalogues for 20th & 21st Centuries available - - cheap! Check this out!

After making do first at the library and then with a generous hand-me-down of a 1998 edition, I finally broke down and ordered myself a "new" Krause: "2005 Standard Catalog of World Coins: 1901-Present (Standard Catalog of World Coins)" It's not the very latest edition, but it is mint new vs used, and at least brings me both into the 21st century, includes Euros (I hope), and identifies all those post-96 coins I never could identify without help.

Now I can also highlight all my coins in the new Krause for inventory purposes as well!

I remember reading various commentaries over the past year or so about this edition of Krause or that, and how some updates were not as good as prior ones, or had major errors or changes in the way they displayed info or countries, but I hope they're minor enough that it won't impact me negatively.

And, considering the catalogue only cost me $15 at "Half-Price Computer Books" via Alibris.com, (plus $3.50 shipping), I would have to think I got a great deal on it...............

So did I do ok? Anything to be aware of?

Thanks!

- - Daveimage

UPDATE!! UPDATE!! UPDATE!!

This evening, I received an e-mail from the source (Alibris), indicating this deal was suddenly "unavailable", and that they would be cancelling that part of my order and crediting my charge card. I wrote back to their Customer Service and their President (who had sent me a "welcome e-mail" just the day before, supposedly) telling them to either honor their price and deliver the book or to cancel my entire order! I have an especially low tolerance for Low-ballers!

I'll keep you informed of what happens next.

Good thing I didn't toss my '98 catalog yet or give it away!!! imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

LATEST UPDATE! LATEST UPDATE!

I got no satisfaction from Alibris (last time I ever use them!), and just a form letter from the company "president". Plus, the other book (history of US paper money) has supposedly already shipped, so can't cancel. But, on a lark, I went to Google for the '05 Krause, and found it NEW again at Amazon.com for the similar low price of $13+ and shipping, so all at under $17. And THEY have it in stock for immediate delivery!! And, as a bonus, I checked out what they call their "golden treasure box" offers, and lo and behold, they had the 25th edition DVD version of the famous hockey movie "Slapshot" for under $10!! And, to my added joy, I still had a credit left on my intro "welcome to Amazon.com" credit card offer on items purchased directly from them (vs a 2nd party), so the DVD, shipping & all, was FREE!!!!! Just wish Amazon.com offerred their own version of Krause as well so I could have gotten THAT for free!!

Anyway, a potentially upsetting evening turned quite happy, thanks to Amazon.com! imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

A note to interested parties.................. Amazon.com still lists many copies of the '05 Krause at such cheap prices!!! Starting under $14!!

- - Dave

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 2004 has Euros.

Good job! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recently, a coworker gave me a $25 gift certificate to Borders; a thank you for the Chilean coins I gave her son.
    Finally broke down and used it as partial payment for a 2006 Krause. Big upgrade from the 1995 I had been using.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    considering that the standard Krause goes for around $50, I'd say you got a good deal!

I usually get a new one every three years or so, but since most of my collection is from the 20th century, it may be longer before I update my current one (2005 ed.).
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

Well,, I'm currently using a 1974 edition.

Funny thing is, the prices haven't changed that much...
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    ttt - - does this mean everyone who wants a Krause already has one? I thought for sure their availability at such low prices would grab some folks' attention who are new to the hobby, or need to get one/upgrase...........image

- - Daveimage
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    I'm rep'n the 1983 edition, those were the days, i was 1 year olde.