Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has this 1873 arrows seated dime been altered?

This dime has more folds than the standard design and I was wondering if this coin has been altered or what. For example the extra folds on the kneecap. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    The three looks weird....

imageimage
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, there's something going on with the gown. Looks like post-mint damage to me, which is also visible on Liberty's left arm and forearm....Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
    is it me or the brests are a little too big as well?
  • Options
    If you look at the center of the coin you can see where something circular and hollow was crudely stamped onto the surface of the coin. The damage on the leg continues in a circular manner over the left (her left) elbow, across the abdomen, across the upper right thigh, corner of the shield, and the right knee.

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a circular gouge near the center - probably from a counting machine or something similar.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    looks like a contemporary counterfeit to me

• Options
    Could be a Janet Jackson Vam. image

Have a Great Day!
    Louis
  • Options
    So does it look more like it was damaged or a counterfeit?
  • Options
    Too many characteristics on it that it's a fake. Only had to glace at it.

UPDATE - Sorry - I thought it was a CC. Otherwise, why would it even bother to be fake?? That is why I thought it was...
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options

<< <i>Too many characteristics on it that it's a fake. Only had to glace at it. >>

But why would someone want to create a fake that has more characteristics than the original? Kind of defeats the purpose.
  • Options
    Dime bank! There was a somewhat popular coin bank back in either the 1930's or 40's that was in the form of a metal tube that held $5 worth of dimes. To keep the dime from rattling around when it wasn't full it had a threaded rod with a disk on th end that went down through the center of the tube and could be tightened against the coins to hold them in place. If the rod was tightened too much it would cut a circular groove or gouge around the center of the coin. I've seen a few of them and there is a gentleman on one of he mail lists I subscribe to has put together almost an entire mercury dime set with these circular grooves.
  • Options
    The coin looks to be genuine and suffering from post-production damage. I believe that those who have questioned its authenticity are letting their imaginations get the best of them, and I like Condor's dime bank theory.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I believe there were also some counting machines of yore that left circular marks on coins.
  • Options
    I'd still take it despite the damage. Neat story coin.

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Options
    Genuine coin with post mint damage.

Ray
  • Options
    What does this coin grade?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are correct, Sir! I have two of those metal monsters in my desk at work. A screw at one end presses down on the top coin to keep the stack from rattling.
    One of the two circ. 1894-S dimes shows damage from one of these banks!
    Tom D.

<< <i>Dime bank! There was a somewhat popular coin bank back in either the 1930's or 40's that was in the form of a metal tube that held $5 worth of dimes. To keep the dime from rattling around when it wasn't full it had a threaded rod with a disk on th end that went down through the center of the tube and could be tightened against the coins to hold them in place. If the rod was tightened too much it would cut a circular groove or gouge around the center of the coin. I've seen a few of them and there is a gentleman on one of he mail lists I subscribe to has put together almost an entire mercury dime set with these circular grooves. >>

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    The more modern counting and rolling machines leaves circular scratches (not impressions) on the coins much closer to the rim than this little beast. Whatever this is I cannot say for sure, but I can say for sure that it's not a counting machine. I like Conder's dime bank theory too...matches up well with what's going on with the coin and he...well, he's just a really knowledgeable fella.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    probably grades XF

could go AU if luster is present, doesn't look like it is

many people do not collect 'damaged' coins, although this one looks nice

only ANACS or NCS would put it in a slab
  • Options
    DismeguyDismeguy Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    Little late with this post but here goes... dime is the F-112 variety and is genuine. All 1873 with arrows dimes come with an open 3.

The circular scratches are from a coin bank. This type of damage is fairly common on seated dimes.

Here are pics of the F-112 variety. Note the long reverse die scratch on the oak leaves (lower right wreath).

imageimage
    Gerry Fortin's Rare American Coins Online Storefront and Liberty Seated Dime Varieties Web- Book www.SeatedDimeVarieties.com Buying and Selling all Seated Denominations....
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This seated dime on James Garcia's website has the same circular mark.

• Options
    retooled?

Steve
    Collecting XF+ toned Barber dimes

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file