Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New President dollars and date location - will PCGS change their holders?

According to this weeks Coin World, the new presidential dollars will have the date on the edge, along with the motto. I wonder if PCGS or NGC have plans for a new holder like the new ANACS holder to show the edge of the coins so the date can be seen?

Ralph

Comments

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They probably won't HAVE to since each design will be limited to a single year, (I believe).

But how's this for an interesting possibility:

If I read the article correctly, it sounds like the edge lettering will be added before striking. Therefore, there exists the potential that planchets lettered in one year could be held over by accident, and stuck in the following year with a different and incorrect design, resulting in a really interesting error/variety!
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭
    image... havent heard that.. I dont think that they will though, but I have no clue. They don't have different holders for the drapped bust cent do they? Then again, it doesnt have the date on the edge either
  • Options
    The problem is not having the date on the edge, since the President on the coin will let you know qhat the date is just like the state quarters. The reason you will need to see the edge is because the MINTMARK is also going to be on the edge of the coin. If you can't see the edge, you can't confirm that the coin in the holder matches the label. Think about it. Would you buy a coin in any other series in a holder that hid the mintmark?
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

The entire program is ridiculous & out of touch with most collectors. At least that's the feeling I get from reading this forum.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    I'm going to TTT this thread to get more opinions or view
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I have seen the new NGC design. They will have an edge view holder that contacts the coin in 4 points to hold it in place. No clue as to when it would be released but sounds like it will be in time for the presidential coins. Now it is just up to PCGS to hire some extra heads so they have time to keep up with the times.

It would seem that now grading is 3/4 of the service, people will want a nice slab to go with it.
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking the same thing. seems kind of stupid, they've been putting the date on the coin for hundreds of years and now there doesn't seem to be enough room.

• Options
    grayroadsgrayroads Posts: 211 ✭✭
    Again, I'm not alone, so to state the obvious, the entire series would/should not concern serious collectors....I hope!
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I think people will put 1 of each coin away, similar to the State Quarters and that will be about it.....

It will cost next to nothing to do so.....

Screw the first lady coins btw.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    NGC already has a holder that shows the edge. It was developed specifically for showing the edge of coins that have something to be seen. They already put out a few coins in them...I guess this is the sample slab part...and they intend to start putting coins in them full time later this month. Check NGC's website.

Jerry
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think people will put 1 of each coin away, similar to the State Quarters and that will be about it.....

It will cost next to nothing to do so.....

Screw the first lady coins btw..... >>

Absolutley Raven!

It will give HSN and Coin Vault another opportunity to jack up the prices on the President Dollar "condition-rarities" MS-69's, 70's, DCAM's, etc. There'll be another registry series too.

I am very un-excited about it. Some presidents don't deserve to be on coins.
  • Options
    Sorry, dont mean to hijack this thread but I have a question--

What are everyones opinions on the date and mint mark being placed on the edge?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry, dont mean to hijack this thread but I have a question--

What are everyones opinions on the date and mint mark being placed on the edge? >>

Dumb idea.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i like the idea of putting the date and mint mark on the edge
    if the design truly calls for it!

but to do it, for the sake of change, is silly. I think the date and
    mint mark would "last" much longer on the rev or obv.
  • Options

<< <i>
    but to do it, for the sake of change, is silly. I think the date and
    mint mark would "last" much longer on the rev or obv.

>>

I disagree. Look at low grade coins and then their edges. The edges "last" longer than the obv./rev does.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    << i like the idea of putting the date and mint mark on the edge
    if the design truly calls for it!

but to do it, for the sake of change, is silly. >>

I agree. It will be interesting to see the design, I can't imagin there not being enough room for it on either the obverse of the reverse, but if that isn't the case, then why put it on the edge?

The way I see it is that its for the sake of change.
  • Options
    When I got my first coin with something on the edge ( a VF Bust half), I was amazed that they could do that at that early stage in our minting history. I enjoyed looking at the edge designs. Since then I have picked up a nice 1802 Bust dollar from my father in laws estate, that I relunctantly sent off to get graded by NGC (F12). The reason I was reluctant was that the slab would not show the edge design, so I could not show it to friends to show that at one time there was writing on the edges of our coins. I would love to get that coin reslabbed with a clear edge so you could see the sides, but I would of course want it in a PCGS or NGC slab. Maybe with this new coin they will offer that service so some older bust coins can use it too, since the populations will be much higher to justify the change in the holder. I would see this as a special holder only for coins with something to see on the edges, and not a drastic change in all holders, which will probably stay the same.

Ralph

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file