Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Anybody want to talk about "N" and "T" cards?

I've spent most of 2005 loading up on nineteenth and early 20th century non sports cards. Most are raw since PSA doesn't provide a good fitting holder for these ancient relics. Is anybody interested in some scans? and sharing info on these sets?

N19 Pirates of the Spanish Main
N72 Coins of the World
N33 Smokers of the World
N91b Yacht Colors
N222 Leaders
N186 Dancing Wimmens
N135 Talk of the Diamond
N457 Playing Cards
N102 Bridges
N113 Habitations
N104 Comic Characters
N120 Miniature Novelties
T114 Up to Date Comics
T113 Types of Nations
T77 Lighthouses
T53 Cowboys
T37 Automobiles
T25 Actors
T27 Fatima Actresses
T30 Arctic Scenes
T118 Explorers
T99 Sights and Scenes
T9 Historic Homes
T95 Leroy Cigars Presidents
T29 Animals
T73 Indian Life

Plus plenty of type cards and some early 20th century British sets like Scissors, Ovals, Players, Phillips.
Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Comments

• Options
    Mark,

That's quite a colleciton that you are building. I am not familiar with the N104 Comic Characters set so I would love to see a few examples from it.

I love the N135 Talk of the Diamond set and I think scans of those cards would be appreciated by most collectors, particularly those who collect both baseball and non-sports cards.

Good luck with your collection in 2006!

Michael
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark,

I'm working on the N222 Kinney Leaders and am thinking about starting the T68 Heroes of History. Do you by chance have an extra Mme Recamier from the N222 set? It's the last card I need to complete my set.

Steve
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Mark

Nice collection.

I like the coins of the world cards and how they use a caricature too.

some are really of the time and would not be allowed today.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    MM,

I've been toying with building the N19 Pirates of the Spanish Main set myself. Maybe in '06??

I'd be interested in seeing scans of the T118 Explorers cards.

Looks like you had a banner year!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Cool. Very glad to be able to share. I'll take them in order. Scanning and posting is a little time consuming, so have patience with me, please, and check back often. I'll respond to every request.

Michael, the N104 set is a Duke issue. As best I can figure, the Comic Characters set of 25 feature cartoons of popular slang phrases of the 1880s such as "Put up or shut up" or "But you oughta see the other feller". These are the only two I have and the backs are all the same. This set was issued in only one size variety, the large size that fit nicely into 6 pocket sheets. The cards measure 2 7/16" x 4 1/4". The year of issue is my favorite - 1888 - a golden year of card issues, including this set, the N105 Cowboy Scenes (which I left off the list above) and other small sets like Terrors of America, Pirates of the Spanish Main, etc.

Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Here are some N135 Talk of the Diamond cards. They're pretty expensive; Peter Lalos has a couple in 2 and 3 up now for $200 a piece, and good condition raw cards are very costly. I picked up about half the set for a song earlier this year; the backs are all damaged but the fronts are still nice, and, for the price I paid, worth the cost of admission. 25 card set, issued around 1893, some politically incorrect subjects, but that's par for the course in turn of the century material:

And here's a scan of a back I found on an ebay complete auction; all the backs are the same and just contain a checklist of the card titles:

Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options

<< <i>Mark,

I'm working on the N222 Kinney Leaders and am thinking about starting the T68 Heroes of History. Do you by chance have an extra Mme Recamier from the N222 set? It's the last card I need to complete my set.

Steve >>

I only have 10 of the Leader cards; I'm collecting them in ex/mt, but Mme Recamier isn't one of them. Have you been collecting them a long time? Is she a short print? You may know there's an awesome set on the registry now that belongs to Bob Marcy of Scottsdale Cards. The average grade is like 7.28!!!

Here is my Washington card; the card next to is the back of a different card, showing not only the typical back, but also the "narrow" width variation. Steve, can you shed any light on that as well?

Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options

<< <i>Mark

Nice collection.

I like the coins of the world cards and how they use a caricature too.

some are really of the time and would not be allowed today.

Steve >>

Yes, we've discussed that before - I wonder what a set of these cards issued today would look like?image

Here are a couple with a typical back; my little Swiss miss and I love the tooth missing in the front of the Haitians mouth.

Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Mark,

Steve

I only have 10 of the Leader cards; I'm collecting them in ex/mt, but Mme Recamier isn't one of them. Have you been collecting them a long time? Is she a short print? You may know there's an awesome set on the registry now that belongs to Bob Marcy of Scottsdale Cards. The average grade is like 7.28!!!

Here is my Washington card; the card next to is the back of a different card, showing not only the typical back, but also the "narrow" width variation. Steve, can you shed any light on that as well? >>

>>

>>

I've been collecting them for a couple of years. Not sure if there are any shortprints in the set, but I have yet to find a Mme Recamier on ebay. There was a group of a dozen or so on ebay last month, including a Recamier, but it went way too high for me to be a factor.

I even emailed Scottsdale Cards last month, and they don't have a Recamier for sale.

I have 27 cards, including 3 duplicates (Napoleon, Farragut and Alexander the Great). 17 are the narrow versions and 10 are wide ones. Also, the only one where I have both wide and narrow versions, is Alexander the Great.

I haven't worried too much about the grades, as long as there aren't any major creases. Mine range from p-f (due to back damage), up to ex-mt (I have a PSA 6 U.S. Grant).

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>N33 Smokers of the World
    T77 Lighthouses
    T53 Cowboys
    T37 Automobiles
    >>

I have a bunch of these cards running right now, all PSA graded.
    Some of them do very well.
    Also have N17 Naval Flags
    and T175 Heroes of the Spanish War

Very cool cards.
    Bob

Bob's Neat Stuff eBay Store & Listings
  • Options
    I just sent in 23 of the N19s for grading. MorrellMan is right that the holders are less than ideal, but I don't want to wait any longer or risk having them damaged if I leave them unprotected. I'm also trying to complete my N18 Parasol Drill set, but so many of these beauties cards have back damage from having been pasted in albums that it's proving to be a very tricky proposition. The other tobacco set I'm working on is the T68 Heroes/Men of History, where I still have some major holes to fill in.
    Building sets: 1888 N18 Parasol Drill, 1888 N19 Pirates of the Spanish Main, 1911 T68 Heroes/Men of History (PSA 4+), 1952 Bowman Baseball (PSA 6+), Pre-war British soccer sets
  • Options
    Hi mark

Wow, you have been busy !!

I did pick up one of the sets you have listed, the 1910 Hassan Cigarettes "Arctic Scenes" ( T-30 ) set of 25 cards.

I`m going to be sending them to SGC to be graded. Unless you wish to be part of the PSA registry, SGC is the way you want to go.

Here are a few cards from the set,

Mark, i really like the T-118 EXPLORERS set also.

LEE
  • Options
    hi mark

i think we have done some deals on ebay in the past but i have not posted on this forum until recently.

according to the csgb (cartophilic society of great britain) reference books the narrow version of these cards are simply a cut down version of the wide cards and not a seperate printing.

i would guess that this is some sort of 19th century 'trimming' image due to some sort of new packaging for their cigarettes. (i think im right in saying they were packed with cigarettes and not tobacco).

here is recamier (sorry not for sale!) these are definately my favourite kinneys along with n232 'surf beauties'

Martin Horton (Horty321)
  • Options
    Martin,
    I think you're right; I think I've come across your ID. If I won something from you, thanks. If I sold something to you, thanks also. If you beat me out on something, you're a rotten scuzball.image Welcome to the boards, by the way.

Lee, & Halosfan:

That T30 set looks like it is in very nice condition. It is considered to be a companion set to the T118, which, while featuring some famous world explorers such as Stanley and Livingstone, it is primarily a set commemorating the (then) recently successful expedition of Admiral Peary to the North Pole.

I also have to agree with you regarding holdering the "N" and "T" cards - until PSA decides to respect these cards and develop a custom fitting holder, they are not the number one choice for slabbing turn of the century cards.

Here are a couple of my T30s:

Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Mark

Very nice cards.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Got my grades back on the N19's and while I'm not overjoyed about some of the 2's, I am really just collecting this set for fun. Will try to put some scans up soon.

Pirates
    Building sets: 1888 N18 Parasol Drill, 1888 N19 Pirates of the Spanish Main, 1911 T68 Heroes/Men of History (PSA 4+), 1952 Bowman Baseball (PSA 6+), Pre-war British soccer sets
  • Options
    Nice job on those 7s - I'm still lobbying for a better fitting holder,
    but I guess it hasn't happened yet.
    I'm guessing your 2s look nice but are missing some paper, no?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    No paper loss that I could see, which is what makes it a little puzzling - maybe some slight chipping on the edges or discoloration. I thought I'd get a few 3s and 4s, but the 2s surprise me. I'll have to take a closer look when I get them back.
  • Options
    I have a number of N88s and a couple of N19s graded - if there's a wrinkle, it gets a 2.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    That's probably what's causing the 2s. No big deal. I love the look of these cards and really just want to complete a decent-looking set without paper loss. BTW, I love those Comic Characters cards. That set looks like a blast.
  • Options
    Got my scans up now. A few of these definitely deserved what they got, but others I'm not so sure.

Pirates
  • Options
    Congrats!!! Very nice grades on a few of those. Did you buy most of them raw off of Ebay?
    Collecting Vintage Boxing Cards
  • Options
    Yes, quite a few of them.
  • Options
    I just got a complete set of T99 Sights and Scenes of the World. Here is the link to scans if anyone is interested:

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b63/gotsparks09/1911 T99 Sights and Scenes of the World/

Does anyone have or know of a website where I can find pre-war non-sport checklists? Right now I'm specifically looking for T113 Types of Nations

Thanks, Ray
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 824 ✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 9:14PM
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I've been looking to upgrade my T118 set. A nice set usually goes in the 300-400 range, but the one in Mastro closed at almost 2600.
    I love this set because these were the last group of explorers that really went where no other had gone before.
    A few of my favorites:
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's