Home Metal Detecting

5 hr clad hunt

I got permisson to hunt on a private baseball and soccer field. I don't believe this has ever been hunted. This is the best hunt that I have ever had in December.

cents---------------105
nickels----------------7
dimes-----------------61
quarters--------------45
halves------------------1

wheat cents----------1

Canadian quarter and penny

1 key
1 monopoly game car

All of this was underground except for the Canadian quarter.

They weren't going to let me hunt there because they didn't want the ground all dug up. I showed them my screwdriver and they said OK.

I hope to make a return visit.

Comments

• Nice haul you made there PPC!!HH,Tom
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Over 200 coins! image
    I think my maximum ever is about 100 coins (but we also don't have a coin that dominates as much as the cent in the US)
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    image!

300 minutes / 222 coins = 1.35 minutes per coin! Thats pretty productive! Did you even take a break?

Really though, did you find a lot of them grouped together? And I wonder what is up with the lack of nickels? I've still never found a half, I don't see how anyone can lose a coin that big. Haha. What year was it?

Great haul ppc! Thats more than I have found with my detector on all my trips combined so far! image

Joe
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Excellent work Bob! That's a lotta coins to recover in a single hunt!

<< <i>And I wonder what is up with the lack of nickels? >>

Possibly PPC's discrimination is set a bit high.image
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sure is a haul for the time spent.Can you post some pictures?
    Al
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In response to Joefro. I did not take a break. It was 42 degrees with the sun out. It was just right. I did find a lot of grouped coins. One spot had 5 quarters and 3 dimes. Several spots. Had several dimes or 5 or 6 pennies. I have what I call the 2 quarter rule (Mind games when hunting), when you find one quarter there is usually another one close by. The coins just seems to be scatered everywhere. Actually my arm did not get as tired swinging the machine because I was always putting it down. Another mind game is hitting for the cycle when you get a penny, nickel, dime and quarter from the same spot. I usually keep track of my change by adding it as I go along. I lost track this time. Does anyone else play mind games as they go along?
  • joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Funny about the quarters, the two I found today were within 4 inches of each other. How long does it usually take you to locate the target once detected? Must be only a couple of seconds (using a screwdriver right?), I usually take a minute or two. Sometimes I seem to be able to pinpoint right on and get the target quickly. Sometimes though my Prism III seems to give a very wide range on the ground and it's hard to tell exactly where to start probing.

Joe
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes when there is a wide range there are two coins 4 or 5 inches apart and they sound like one hit. I try to listen for a small break between the two. I quess with practice you can hit it pretty close. It does take a little more probing on some hits. If I would have been digging these targets it might have looked like craters on the moon if they weren't filled in good or if the grass turned brown.