Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Bertie's Florin - An Enigmatic Tale & A Christmas Story, too

Following is my fantasy auction description of singularly the most wonderful coin I own. It begs the question, why were Bertie's Christmas Gifts unopened?

This and 15 other envelopes appeared at a small country sale in the mid-1980s in England, all gifted to Bertie, and all unopened. They spanned 16 years from 1859 until 1874, each containing either a florin, two bobs, or maybe a bob and two sixpence, but mostly florins.

And so, the question is, Why?

Great Britain. H.R.H. Queen Victoria. - S-3893 - 1870 Gothic Florin, Die #13. The Bertie Hoard, Barclays Bank. Ultra Gem Uncirculated. The flawless surfaces of this florin are adorned with colours of such an ethereal nature that she might be mistaken for a Flemish tapestry woven with great skill and artistry using ever changing threads of blues, greens and reds that dance across Victoria's near perfect features; features electrified by the whorl of lustre atop Wyon's Gothic canvas.

In the pantheon of Victorian Numismatics there exists this enigmatic coin whose complete tale is yet to unfold. She is a pristine, miracle survivor of the ravages of time because of a boy named Bertie. He was thought to be the son of the President of Barclays London branch in the mid to late 1800s, and for about 16 years, 'dear Papa', presented Bertie with a florins worth of change in a wax sealed Barclays envelope. This florin being the sole coin given at Christmas in 1870, the envelope is inscribed, "Bertie's Florin, From dear Papa. Xmas 1870". Why didn't Bertie open his envelopes, any of them; any of the 16? Did dear Papa merely 'present' them to Bertie as a memorial to his deceased son? Were they saved to be opened only on a special occasion, an occasion which never occurred? Whatever the reason, Thanks Bertie! We owe you a debt of gratitude for a true National Treasure!

Important note: Now consigned as lot #21181 at the Boston World ANA auction, The Bertie Florin does not include the envelope shown below.

TrueView Image

Image Courtesy of Mark Goodman

The Envelope

Manufacturer's Embossing

Wax Sealed Flap

Close-up of Barclay Seal

Comments

• Options
    image Just amazing!!
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting! Have you done any research into who the people involved in this numismatic mystery might have been? Finding the president of President of Barclay's London branch should not be that hard and from there.... I'll help you!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I take it back, may be a bit hard!image

I will still work on this for you!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭

<< <i>President of Barclay's London branch should not be that hard and from there.... I'll help you! >>

Thanks Mortus.

I've googled myself silly, but nothing concrete as of yet. I do have some leads, but unraveling would probably require some genealogical research of UK (Scottish) records.

We can probably presume that Bertie is an Albert. It could be Albert Barclay, or Albert Jones.....the hunt continues.image
  • Options
    Bert can also be short for Herbert.

Bertie does suggest Albert more to me though.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    The coin is OK, but sign me up for the giveaway anyway.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    I agree with jester, normally I do not enter giveaways very often, but this is a fantastic coin. image
    Is the envelope included in the giveaway too?

Thanks for the chance. image

imageimage
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Wowza!!
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Bleagh. The reverse rim dings at 2:30 and 5:00 make it worthless. AU58 at best. I'll give you $50 for it.

• Options
    I would be more concerned about the tarnish than the rim bumps, I don't know why Die Maus has not dipped it!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Not to get into a bidding war, but make it $51image

Great coin!!image
  • Options

<< <i>Not to get into a bidding war, but make it $51 >>

For that kind of money you better make sure he throws in an Air-Tite!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be very wrong to dip that coin. That is only my opinion, others may disagree.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    WOW!!! and this is teh DARK SIDE!! image
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to our turf, stranger!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    WHERE'S THE LINK SO I CAN BID ?!?!?

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options

<< <i>I think it would be very wrong to dip that coin. That is only my opinion, others may disagree. >>

I agree with you, on principle it would be extremely wrong to dip that coin, as for once the tone is all part of the history of the piece. On my personal tastes on the other hand... well, i'm afraid i'd have to let history overrule æsthetics for once on that score.

It's a good catch indeed.
  • Options

<< <i>WOW!!! ... and this is the DARK SIDE!! image >>

Feel the power of the Dark Side ... give up all your saints and start working on soverigns ... image
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    If this stunning coin has been TrueViewed, it's also in a PCGS slab. A 67 ? image

Absolutely gorgeous anyway. Glad to see you occupied with Great Britain, time to leave Switzerland to the rest of us. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

<< <i>give up all your saints and start working on soverigns >>

......sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Don't give him any ideas. Besides, Sovs. are virtually non-existent in gem.....I'd hate to see him frustated.....he'll be crying enough during next years baseball season.image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now there's some cool provenance... that envelope really makes it all the more fascinating.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Following is my fantasy auction description of singularly the most wonderful coin I own.

The auction is a fantasy, but the story behind the coin is true, nicht wahr?

Maybe it was a gift to "Bertie the Caresser." image

That is a truly beautiful coin. I've admired the design for a long time, but the condition and color of yours really stand out.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Thanks all for the nice comments. I'm sure Bertie would be pleased.

Shiro, correct. There is no auction.....not yet, anyway.image Maybe in 2020.

The description and details about Bertie, the annual Christmas gifts from 'Dear Papa' sealed in the envelopes, and the Barclay connection are true.

The exact names of the giver and receiver, and the reason for the gifts are as yet unknown.....
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    You gotta love the whole package and I know you're a sucker for such documents and stuff. image I am too. Seriously, this is a coin the likes of which can only be compared with ex-cacheman's Gothic crown.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Even beyond the knockout florin - what a great grouping. Hope you're able to tie the story together!

imageimageimage
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    Simply a gorgeous florinimage

As for SG just stay with your Saints and we'll be be better off.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one of the coolest things I have read!!!
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply stunning. And what a provenance, to boot!

In the meantime, You can throw my name in the hat for your generous giveaway image
  • Options
    Were you ever able to find any information that gave "the rest of the story?"

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    No. I found a name and email for someone in charge of Historial Archives and such with Barclays, but they never replied to my query. Maybe I should open an account with them. image
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there any direct evidence that "Bertie" was a boy?
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Incredible coin and story. I noticed that Heritage has one of these in their auction.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Great story. Stories are a big part of what makes coins so cool.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    A stunner and a nice thread to boot.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options

<< <i>Is there any direct evidence that "Bertie" was a boy? >>

Well.......image I s'pose Bertie could have been a Roberta, or Bertha, or even an Elberta.image

• Options

<< <i>A stunner and a nice thread to boot. >>

Wow Mac, thanks for the story on your ICON, it is a georges piece, and the story of it is really neat

image DPOTD? image
  • Options
    Reading this thread for the second year in a row reminds me of decorating a Christmas tree and retelling the same story about who gave you the special ornament or where you found that special decoration. Hope to be able to read it next year!

Merry Christmas

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    Wasn't Edward VII's nickname "Bertie"?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And Teddy as well.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    So perhaps Prince Albert gave Bertie special strikes for Christmas every year. Oh, and the moon landing was faked.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options

..........................one for the Ages!

Fantasy auction becomes Reality! imageimage
  • Options
    So how did Mark Goodman photograph this coin and the envelopes? This is not the TRUVIEW image is it?
  • Options

<< <i>So how did Mark Goodman photograph this coin and the envelopes? This is not the TRUVIEW image is it? >>

No, the image shown in this thread is not a TRUVIEW image. The image is from Mark which he imaged in the PCGS tomb, and I photographed the different envelope shots.

Mark's image shown here does a much better job of capturing both the color and especially the luster than do the Heritage images, although Heritage did do a good job for most of the coins.....i.e. pretty true to life. The catalog image of the 1893 proof crown is much closer to the real deal also. Their cat. image is way too dark.

In any event, as I've said before, take a look yourself to see the actual coins.....hopefully, the winning bidders will be pleased. Ciao.

edited for clarity: Actually, the top image now shown is the original TrueView image by Phil Arnold, circa 2005.