Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

1909VDB & 1990 NO S PROOFS AT AUCTION

Posted a couple of weeks ago:

Charlie,
Thanks for the update on the auction. It will be interesting to see what this coin will sell for in a NGC 66 holder and what the seller's reserve is. Should be worth at least $3k to $4K IMHO based on rarity. Certainly NOT a nice looking coin. But this may answer the question of whether a collector will pay significant dollars for a rare Lincoln cent even if it isn't pretty. My guess is that the owner will NOT let this coin go for peanuts and that nobody will step up in the current market to beat the reserve. We will see. Steve

Steve, there is also a conserved 09 vdb in the same sale, with no grade given. I guess we will establish some baseline values for rarity instead of condition.

Good point Doug. Here are the two lowest mintage Lincoln cent proofs going to auction at the same time and in obviously crummy condition. Will someone pay significant money to get them in their collection? Will the owner(s) of these two coins let them be sold for less money than he PERCEIVES they are worth? Stay tuned! Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Palm Beach Auction by Heritage next week has a conserved 1909VDB Matte Proof Lincoln cent and two 1990 no S Lincoln proof error coins up for bid. The reserve information has been posted.

There is NO reserve on the 1909VDB.(Lot #379) Current bid is $862 with the juice. The coin is in a NCS slab and is described as PR60. Apparently it is genuine since the NGC conservation company checked it out. The key thing here is how much money is a buyer willing to pay for a very rare coin that has problems. My guess is well over $1k but we will see. I was wrong in that the seller is letting this one go rather cheaply IF it is genuine. The assumption is that PCGS will not slab the coin since NGC obviously declined.

The problem 1990 no S is in a NGC 66 holder (Lot #397) and was bid up to only $402 with the juice by 6 bidders BEFORE the reserve was posted. The reserve is $5,750 with the juice and I doubt that we will see another bid on this one. Good example of what the seller wants for this rare proof. In the condition it looks, I believe the seller is going to have to lower his expectations, at least in the current market.

There is also a PCGS PR68DCAM (Lot #398) in this auction. It had been bid up to $4,312 by 5 bidders BEFORE the reserve was posted. The reserve is $6,325 with the juice and I believe that this one may sell.

We will keep track of these three coins over the next week. It should be interesting.
Steveimage

Comments