Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How long can you leave a copper coin in a slab before it gets PVC damage ?

I just dug out a 1909S Lincoln in PCGS MS65 that I had stored away for about 10 years. I ntoiced some tiny green spots. I think its PVC damage. Did I leave it in the slab too long ?
Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, saw the PCGS, no there is not PVC in those
  • Options
    I would say you didn't leave it in the slab too long, rather you probably stored it improperly (heat and humidity flucuation).

Cartwheel
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin may have had PVC residue on it before it was slabbed. It may have taken 10 years to react with the coin. Send it back for a grade review. Pcgs will take care of it for you.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Send it back for a grade review. Pcgs will take care of it for you.

I have the return address if you need it

Freakimage
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    It most likely was contaminated prior to slabbing. Whether or not you suspect PVC I recommend soaking in acetone prior to submission just to be safe.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    That is strange because the reason copper usually turns green or gets green spots is from sulfating. That is SO or SO2 in the air, as an impurity, caused by sulfur burning organizations such as power stations burning sulfur rich coal without the use of a desulfating setup or effecient precipitator. The SO2 combines in the air with water molecules, HOH, otherwise known as H2O, creates an acid known as sulfurous acid which although is a mild form of sulfuric still reacts with copper to form copper sulfite, normally a slight greenish looking substance. Now how did that get inside a plastic enclosure unless the plastic itself has some sulfur in it or a leak in the container and you live in a high sulfated area. As you know, if the plastic is in fact pure POLY VINYL CHLORIDE there should be no sulfur in it. To sum it all up, take everyones advice and send it back to PCGS.
    Carl
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    These plastics are gas permeable; no hermetic seals here.

And yes, send it in for a grade review.....don't take it out and try to "fix it" first.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    I disagree Carl. the green seen on copper is not Copper Sulfide (which is brown) but copper chloride which is green. (The green color of the Statue of Liberty is from the reation of the copper with the chlorine in the air from the salt in the ocean.) The green slaime seen on PVC residue contaminated coins is from the reaction of hydrochloric acid and the copper in the alloy. The acid comes from the outgassing of Hydrogen Chloride from the PVC plastic combining with water vapor in the air.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Hey Condor, great point. What color was the Statue of Liberty originally? Copper?
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Yes. Red beaten copper. Then over the years she turned green.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file